Autopsy Post 2021 Grand Final Western Bulldogs game review, the good the bad and the ugly, come talk about it here!

Remove this Banner Ad

I can’t help but think even if we had made top four and reduced the travel, it was Melbourne’s destiny to win it this year.
Tend to agree Melbourne had a year where everything fell into place perfectly. Their depth was never tested at any point. Had a great preparation due too not making finals the previous year. Melbourne has a solid first 22 only takes a few injuries and I reckon they could look pretty ordinary see the year before when they didn't even make it too finals

Heard our GPS numbers were way down compared to normal, even at half time when we were in front.

Need a top 2 finish so you don’t do it the hard way.
Hopefully next year won't be so compromised by COVID I think in part we were smashed by no VFL as in the last 3 rounds we had too play underdone players to get some match conditioning into them which affected our performances.
Hopefully we get a better injury run next year

Still is. Has a theory that Adelaide and SA should not exist and be destroyed, with salt ploughed into the ground Carthage style.
A point of similarity. A St Kilda-Bulldogs Grand Final would have been a marketer's dream, can you imagine the themes in the lead up ? The AFL would have loved it.

Last edited:

We had a shocking year with injuries when you look at it.

Not just Bruce but long term injuries to dunks, gards, Treloar, McLean.

Plus plenty of short termers like Keith.

Has anyone got an inside word on whether the players are concerned about this alleged mocking?
Reads to me like a journo going 2+2=5 and putting out his big scoop. While our players are just reviewing their own performances and enjoying a break.

We had a shocking year with injuries when you look at it.

Not just Bruce but long term injuries to dunks, gards, Treloar, McLean.

Plus plenty of short termers like Keith.
Also Jong. I just want him acknowledged. Went through a lot for our club every year of his career.

When you say “ just not dependable “ are you referencing his knee issues? I accept his last half of the GF wasn’t his best performance but I see him as a key and reliable performer over many years and a player who has consistently lifted the team above the level of other finalists. For me it’s the Bont who is first pick every week and Libba second pick. ( Sorry Macrae, I love you and I do have you a very close third)

When you say “ just not dependable “ are you referencing his knee issues? I accept his last half of the GF wasn’t his best performance but I see him as a key and reliable performer over many years and a player who has consistently lifted the team above the level of other finalists. For me it’s the Bont who is first pick every week and Libba second pick. ( Sorry Macrae, I love you and I do have you a very close third)

Mike don’t get me wrong I love Libba and class him as one of our greatest players. The problem I have is I don’t think he has the passion for the game and I understand that. The problem I have this year I think his form started to decline once he signed his new contact in 2O21 If you look at his career when he is up he is way up when he is down he is very down. I also think on AFL Grand Final 2I021 if Will Hayes replaced Libba on the day we would have got more out of Will Hayes then Libba

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can’t believe what I just read.

Because its true, funny have been following this club for a long time and its always the players like Simon Atkinss, Nathan Eagleton , Ryan Gardiner etc who get a beaten up for their performances but guys like Libba get off scott free all the time If you want I can get a excel spread sheet and note in history the times Libba has gone missing but here is a starr

1 .Complete AFL season 2017 after coming back in poor shape
2 King st party time
3 2021 AFL Grand final
4 Round 12 to 21 AFL season 2021
thats a start

Libba's love for footy cannot be disputed.

He goes hard off the field, I understand that, but he goes twice as hard on it.

Totally agree he just has to make his mind up which one he has more passion for He is the barometer of our side and their lies the problem you just cant depend on him

will hayes replace libba. Farking LOL.

He had a bad 20 minute period. Against one of the best midfield trios assembled. Seriously give me a break.

Bailey Smith didn't play as well as he had the previous 3 finals. Lets get rid of him too :rolleyes:

will hayes replace libba. Farking LOL.

He had a bad 20 minute period. Against one of the best midfield trios assembled. Seriously give me a break.

Bailey Smith didn't play as well as he had the previous 3 finals. Lets get rid of him too :rolleyes:

Bailey Smith didn't play as well as he had the previous 3 finals. Lets get rid of him too

Fk me one is a 20 year old and one is a 31 year old

He had a bad 20 minute period.

I gather you where in a Coma state of mind round 12 to 21 2021 season he was very average during that time frame

Comparing Will Hayes to Tom Liberatore is like comparing Home and Away to The Godfather.

I’d recommend listening to Tom Boyd discuss the game on his podcast. Really goes into detail about our midfield and concedes we lost for one simple reason - we conceded 7 goals directly from centre clearances

Match up's on Grand Final Day didn't help Libba, nor did leaving him, 1 out on the Dees side of goal. Both Oliver and Petrucca are power runners at a level Libba for all his hard work, can't go to. Dunkley needed to go into that middle when they got a run and yet he didn't.

Libba will be back next year yet it will and should be a transition year for him. Dunks, Smith need more time in the centre and Libba is dangerous around goals so you would think his spilt will change to maybe 50% forward 50% middle. At his age this is needed to keep him fresh.

Match up's on Grand Final Day didn't help Libba, nor did leaving him, 1 out on the Dees side of goal. Both Oliver and Petrucca are power runners at a level Libba for all his hard work, can't go to. Dunkley needed to go into that middle when they got a run and yet he didn't.

Libba will be back next year yet it will and should be a transition year for him. Dunks, Smith need more time in the centre and Libba is dangerous around goals so you would think his spilt will change to maybe 50% forward 50% middle. At his age this is needed to keep him fresh.

agree on all above and give West a go in the middle at times

Rewatching some parts of the second and third quarter of the game. Can't bring myself to watch the first and fourth. A couple of things I noticed.
  • Our ruck strength is strangely reversed from what I'd usually expect. English is great at winning the hitouts at centre bounce but doesn't get involved much in the play when he starts as the ruck. Martin doesn't win a lot of hitouts but has some nice moments after the ruck contest with some clearances, spoils and throwing his weight around.
  • Daniel does very well on Pickett but it's a waste to have a player of Duryea's quality starting on Charlie Spargo of all players. I know there's about 10cm between them but I would've tried him on Fritsch, if not at the start at least when it was clear Wood couldn't keep up with him. They clearly wanted someone that could follow Spargo up the ground but between Daniel and Williams we should have that covered, Duryea's form demanded a more important role.
  • I'm not going to miss Ash Hansen. Every time we're going quick our forwards are proactive but we can't hit the lead with the pace we're going. Every time we're going slow they stand still and force the long bomb. Way too worried about their opponent winning an easy intercept but it wasn't giving us a chance to score.
  • They did not give Bailey Smith the space he was getting in the other finals. I'm not going to doubt him the way I used to but to take the next step he'll need to do more beyond playing the spare man.

Libba was so good early on that he started attracting a tag due to 'stop libba, stop the dogs' mantra. And yeah, he is taggable. He doesnt perform as well when tagged. Not many do.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back