News Post COVID-19 fixture discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Good pick-up. Has an effect on sponsorship revenue, since Hawthorn (as the away team) cannot broadcast sponsor ads at the venue. Even if the ground is empty, the sponsors messages would be picked up on the broadcast. Hawthorn is the only team to have seven home games and 10 away games, as per the table above. Hopefully the AFL is chipping in something to make up the shortfall.

tenor.gif
Will they bollocks. No surprise St Kilda has had a dream run - based out of MEL or GC all season, with short jaunts to Adelaide and Darwin - who's a good mate of Gil and happens to run the Football department down there?

I know this a logistical nightmare of a season but FFs!! We've been shafted hugely.
Unless Tassie comes on board ( i doubt they will in the present climate ) this is a disgrace of a fixture.
Say something Jeff go out with a bang mate.
The AFL are sticking it to us & true members like myself have had enough.

I really hope no one is taking this season seriously
Unbelievable the responses in here, I mean St Kilda just lost to Geelong after a 4 day break but look at everyone cry because we have been given a 5 day break in the fixture. God Bligh Me.

I am not a lawyer but I am sure that between the clubs, AFL and sponsors something will be worked out.
Chill pills are needed around here and in large doses.

Unbelievable the responses in here, I mean St Kilda just lost to Geelong after a 4 day break but look at everyone cry because we have been given a 5 day break in the fixture. God Bligh Me.

I am not a lawyer but I am sure that between the clubs, AFL and sponsors something will be worked out.
Saints had a 4 day break to cats 5.

we are getting consecutive 5 day breaks against teams getting 9 day breaks

Geelong play 3 true home and 4 true away matches. 10 neutral

hawthorn play 1 true home and 8 true away games. 8 neutral

that’s not even remotely equivalent

Geelong had one extra day v St.Kilda. We play two teams on short breaks after they have a bye = big difference

Thursday, August 27
Hawthorn v Essendon, Adelaide Oval, 4.40pm AEST, 4.10pm ACST

Tuesday, September 1
Hawthorn v Adelaide, Adelaide Oval, 5.40pm AEST, 5.10pm ACST

Sunday, September 6
St Kilda v Hawthorn, Metricon Stadium, 1.05pm AEST

Sunday, September 13
Hawthorn v Western Bulldogs, Adelaide Oval, 3.35pm AEST, 3.05pm ACST

Gold Coast last game of the year
Still got a Port game to squeeze in after all this too.

To add I think the fixturing for us in this current WA hub period has been one of the more favourable for clubs. They pushed back our game against Carlton by a day when logistics allowed it which gave us an extra days rest (Carlton got it too, but I'd argue we needed it a lot more than they did). Our 'bye' scheduling in particular has been especially favourable as it's given us a decent enough break (10 days) to regroup and get some training sessions while also allowing us to avoid anything less than a 6 day break between games. I know off the top of my head that the Pies and the Cats have copped multiple 4-5 day breaks in this same period.
Worst home and away split, second worst days between games differential, operated out of three different hubs, worst free kick differential.

Yeah, there's no conspiracy here...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We’re the only team to get only 7 designated home games every one else has 8-9, but Gold Coast gets 10. Haven’t won a free kick count since rnd 1 second worst in cumulative day breaks haven’t played any interstate teams on neutral venues up until second last rnd that’s at least 6 of 8 interstate on home deck possibly 7 Gold Coast game undecided and we played Geelong in Geelong and nth in a home game at marvel but Essendon played Carlton at the mcg that round. That’s 2 marvel tenants.

Worst home and away split, second worst days between games differential, operated out of three different hubs, worst free kick differential.

Yeah, there's no conspiracy here...
As far as I'm concerned this latest bit of fixturing is nothing but good for us. We weren't going to be making finals anyway. Now we're more likely to lose games and improve our draft picks.

Outside of getting to play games in Tassie (again, outside of the AFL's control - and they've stated they'll give them to us if they become available) to help the club's bottom line, advantageous games at this point would only serve to give us useless wins that might see us finish 9th-12th. Still no finals and a way worse first pick then we're currently holding.

Also, we had quite a good fixture this year before COVID-19 derailed everything. I guess the AFL created COVID-19 so they could have plausible deniability to then go make our fixture bad and somehow make most of our players play poorly against average opposition too.

As far as I'm concerned this latest bit of fixturing is nothing but good for us. We weren't going to be making finals anyway. Now we're more likely to lose games and improve our draft picks.

Outside of getting to play games in Tassie (again, outside of the AFL's control - and they've stated they'll give them to us if they become available) to help the club's bottom line, advantageous games at this point would only serve to give us useless wins that might see us finish 9th-12th. Still no finals and a way worse first pick then we're currently holding.

Also, we had quite a good fixture this year before COVID-19 derailed everything. I guess the AFL created COVID-19 so they could have plausible deniability to then go make our fixture bad and somehow make most of our players play poorly against average opposition too.
The first two paragraphs are actually really good and throw a different light on our situation, and I agree with what you have said.

No need for the last paragraph - the draw is never balanced, but regardless of COVID or not, no club should accept what the AFL has given us. If Tassie comes up, then great, that mitigates some of it.

Love how the AFL always harp on about equality......LOL
I agree with others here that hopefully this balls up of a fixture will benefit us at years end with earlier picks, but i digress.
It's really unacceptable the hand we've been dealt with not only this season but for many season prior.
I'm fairly certain Tasmania wont come on board & if we play GCS in the last round at their ground. We would of played every interstate club on their home ground.
I'm fairly sure no other side has that happen to them. if someone can confirm be great, but i think that is correct.
This wont happen because the AFL are a corrupt bunch of brigands, but if they have any reasoning for next season should be:-
All Victorian home games at the MCG = 7 games - pretty sure we're due for home games V Carl & Ess. so they should be at the MCG
4 games at York park
& the North Melbourne home game also at the MCG - we play as the away side.

Last edited:
Tasmania just announced they are keeping their borders closed until at least 1st of December so we know where all our games are being played now

*shakes fist at AFL*
They and the club clearly worked together to delay home games to give us a chance of playing in Tassie

Doesn't explain why we end up with less "home" games than every other club though

Remove this Banner Ad

Back