Think Tank Post-COVID AFL: Are fans choosing to watch from home more?

Remove this Banner Ad

More beautiful low crowds despite Easter round.

Personally I had a nice Easter holiday camping with friends and watched the games when needed on my phone, with an AFL or Kayo subscription.
Manuka was great.

My interest in attending games was declining pre COVID, except for the big finals.

Too many casuals shouting inane nonsense and too many fat *s and boomers clogging up stairs, busses, trains and queues. I sat in a posh box for the 2018 QF vs Collingwood and it was great but I'm not going to spend thousands of dollars to watch the footy, nor do I have the connections to leech these seats on the regular. Living down south like I do at the moment it is more of an effort to attend games in any event. When I was in Melbourne I enjoyed going to some of the smaller games at Marvel because of the lower attendances.

I hate the Channel 7 coverage but I think we have it pretty good with the fox coverage. It is perverse that s**t teams get rewarded with the better coverage more often.

Great discussion about the low crowds today on SEN. A very intelligent caller realised we've upgraded our home technology and are staying home as a result. Exciting times.

Exciting discussion about the low crowds today on SEN.

What was your crowd like against Freo yesterday?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ocean Grove aren't a "Melbourne side"

They're a Melbourne team in all but name.
There's suburbs in Melbourne further away than Geelong.
55k is bad, particularly when Richmond were pretending the G was their home ground that night, and they have 100k 'members'

Choice of cold beer out of a glass bottle, for half the price. Decent food instead of a soggy pie. I get to the game with the click of a remote. I can stand with a drink in my hand. 15 metres to the pisser and I don't have to queue.

This. Plus getting to the ground (at least in Perth) is a real pain.

Everyone spent their money during COVID on flashy new TV's, without the choice of attending a game. The realisation of s**t food and drinks, long lines, ticket prices and just the general rip off it all has set in. People want value for money these days and you don't get it by attending a game of AFL.

This. Plus getting to the ground (at least in Perth) is a real pain.

Everyone spent their money during COVID on flashy new TV's, without the choice of attending a game. The realisation of sh*t food and drinks, long lines, ticket prices and just the general rip off it all has set in. People want value for money these days and you don't get it by attending a game of AFL.
For me its 3 hours coach rides each way cause the trains aren't running. Plus all that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back