Post Covid Australia - When do we open up and what does it look like?

When should we return to 'normal'

• Now

Votes: 5 16.7%
  • When we have vexed 80% of the population

Votes: 19 63.3%
  • When we have vexed 95-100% of the population

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • Specified date in 2022

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Never

Votes: 1 3.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

One thing the lockdowns have proved, Australians are not the sharpest tools in the shed...we were once known for our fighting spirit, but its people are now a bunch of wimps.
and what exactly do you do to help the situation? Or are you some sort of keyboard only warrior with nothing but complaints?

hamohawk1

Premiership Player
Feb 18, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
If my reading of the DHHS restrictions are right, if i test positive to Covid i have to isolate for 10 days? Completely unworkable this time of year and works as a disincentive to get tested as you may potentially miss christmas/ holiday celebrations.

This has to be tempered back with the focus on mask wearing, social distancing where possible and a yearly jab. Still don't think Australia is remotely ready to 'live' with this virus.

it would be a holdover from policies which aim to suppress numbers to "manageable". They are likely to be cautious with further relaxation without lived hospital data (hospitalisations)
and my local hospital is still treating people with day 11-14 and respiratory symptoms as being infectious (even though DHS state they are clear) - so we put them on covid wards (this should be ok, very unlikely to get reinfection that close)
the issue of test delay is that if you eventually get a test (either because sick with something else and go to hospital, sick from covid, or some other reason) your 10 days starts from when you are positive, even if you are feeling fine (ie was sick then recovered from illness)

mill204

Better off said.
Feb 8, 2021
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Now this is concerning. Yet our leaders remain largely silent. Could it be the corporate dollar trumps the health and welfare of the population?

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Now this is concerning. Yet our leaders remain largely silent. Could it be the corporate dollar trumps the health and welfare of the population?

Going back to masks wont be popular a few days out from an election.
Trying to blame it on corporate dollars suggests a political motive when we all know its a State decision. I'd expect McGowan to lead the way & WA to get it back under control in weeks.

Would be very surprised if that is true given what is going on in China, USA and Nth Korea right now.

Did the person link to data?

Case numbers give an idea on the stress to the health system, moreso for the people directly involved in addressing the sharp end.
Case numbers that amount to missing some time off work and no hospital visit have less and less correlation to hospital and health system impact as this goes on.

To give an idea, as of a week or so ago there have been the same number of people put on a ventilator in WA in 2020 as there has been since omicron started spreading, with the massively increased Case numbers just for clarity.

The authorities know this too, which is why testing has had more money spent on it than hospital and other health care services have related to covid.

When we are talking about fractions of a percent of cases needing intervention we should be focused on that number, not raw cases, in my opinion.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Case numbers that amount to missing some time off work and no hospital visit have less and less correlation to hospital and health system impact as this goes on.

To give an idea, as of a week or so ago there have been the same number of people put on a ventilator in WA in 2020 as there has been since omicron started spreading, with the massively increased Case numbers just for clarity.

The authorities know this too, which is why testing has had more money spent on it than hospital and other health care services have related to covid.

When we are talking about fractions of a percent of cases needing intervention we should be focused on that number, not raw cases, in my opinion.

Yes case numbers are not the sole number & an indicator for the general public. With a flu season added in this year, the media will continue to lead with case numbers. The toll on the workforce is of particular interest to me, the trends in Vic & WA.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Back