Review Post game discussion v West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Can report Duigan was one pissed off dude prior to the game. He thought he was playing so was miffed at the PR gig handed to him at pre-game function
On a side note I have never really noticed the umps bias at Subi but last night it seemed they pulled free kicks out of nowhere time and time again for West Coast and were so inconsistent with the call between teams. If we had lost there may well have been a riot on
He better get used to it Guns, doesn't have the poise or skill to be best 22 when most of the list is available.

Did you like the free our runner gave away to the Eagles because he got in Armfield's way momentarily:eek:

To be only 4 frees down for the night was as good as you can expect at Subi. Was helped by the Weagles kicking. Seemed to be continually saying "all it deserved" a lot to the TV. Yarran wouldn't have got the free in the goal square in the 2011 final.

Yeah, except for the fact that we should have been paid infinitely more frees. We were careful with our tackles, we played fairley, and West Coast threw the ball at will. On replay, Kerr's goal looks well out of bounds.

Worst free kick of the night was to Selwood on Carrots. Andy had him corralled so Selwood put his head down and just head butted him in the chest. Free kick for too high. Carrots thought much the same about the free as I did. A friggin disgrace.

Honourable mention to the potentially game-changing decision to award a 50m against Hammer for being too close to his opponent at a throw in, the first and only time a free has been given for that in any of the games I have watched this year.

Yeah, except for the fact that we should have been paid infinitely more frees. We were careful with our tackles, we played fairley, and West Coast threw the ball at will. On replay, Kerr's goal looks well out of bounds.

Yeah they threw it so many times I thought I was at an NRL game.

Hammer would want to start catching the ball and hitting the scoreboard if he's going to stay in the team when Kreuz is back. Warnock was good, and Kreuz clearly is capable forward if that is what team balance calls for.
Hammer did have the fumbles but he got to the ball a hell of a lot and created contests. I thought he did fine. His kicking for goal is poor however, but no worse than Levi's (nobody is worse than Levi) and Rowe struggled with his set shots too. Nonetheless I thought Sam and Hammer did well as a combo and Hammer will catch them eventually, he has shown that he can.

Warnock rucked well but Hammer did his bit too, won plenty of hit outs. He is a good ruck man I reckon.

Worst free kick of the night was to Selwood on Carrots. Andy had him corralled so Selwood put his head down and just head butted him in the chest. Free kick for too high. Carrots thought much the same about the free as I did. A friggin disgrace.

Agree, that was a disgraceful call and should have been a free our way for ducking the head.

Good signs from the team and very happy to come away with a win. Highlights for me were the use of our pace, Jamo in particular and Hendo continue their good form down back, noticeably more shepherds being applied, good contested marking from Rowe, just wish he (and Hammer) would convert more.
Walker: may prefer to play forward but Mick has obviously convinced him he can do a great job down back and he is.

Note to Mick: when Eddie comes back leave Yarran in the forward line somewhere; a flank will do.

Also; thought Ed's presence gave us a bit more grunt in the middle and White definitely strengthened our back half.

Heading into the game I did not expect a win however I suspected we were a chance. Regardless of West Coast's current form, heading over to Perth is never an easy task and to walk away from that game with 4 points is a great result. Much had been made of our 0-3 start, and whilst we certainly would not have been panicking about that, I feel we needed something to kick-start our season and this game I think will prove to be exactly that. We can now use this win as a platform from which to launch into the rest of the season.

Putting individual performances aside for a moment, the aspect of the game that pleased me the most was that we looked like a team, and played as one. The players did not look like individuals playing for themselves, but rather like members of one cohesive unit playing for each other. Last season in particular we seemed to lose that mentality and it is pleasing to see that has returned. The best teams in the competition work hard for each other from siren to siren. Forget skill levels, team ethos is incredibly important and must never be underestimated, in fact it is that mindset which often sets them apart from the rest of the competition. The process that Mick has referred to is largely this - not just buying into the game plan that he and the coaching staff prescribe, but also the notion of being a team, challenging each other, supporting each other and working as one in sight of a common goal. This is what he has done so successfully at each of his previous clubs, and this is exactly what I hope he brings to the Carlton Football Club first and foremost. Once we have every player on the same page, willing to work hard for each other, the results will come. The two who led the way on this front were Garlett and Armfield, who should both be commended for their willingness to run and block for a team mate, clearing the path to goal. It's that sort of gut running and team play that stands out and elevates an individual, and indeed a team, from being good to being great.

A further pleasing thing is that we had no poor performers. Sure, some were more quiet than others as is to be expected, but going through the players individually I don't believe we had a player who did not pull his weight or put in when required. We've long heard of the club promoting the notion of "No Passengers" but they have often failed to show that on field, but on Saturday night we didn't have any passengers. If we're able to replicate that on a weekly basis, more often than not we'll find ourselves in front when the final siren sounds.

I think we've now set a standard for ourselves and we've shown what we can do. Perform as we did on Saturday night on a weekly basis and we win a hell of a lot more games than we lose. Of course we won't be able to replicate that form each and every week but nothing less in terms of effort and intensity we brought to the contest should be accepted.

Just noticed Mick didn't want to join in on the club song.
Sakcworthy offense.

Honourable mention to the potentially game-changing decision to award a 50m against Hammer for being too close to his opponent at a throw in, the first and only time a free has been given for that in any of the games I have watched this year.

I don't even understand what this rule is? Are we playing ******* netball here?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Malthouse answers every question and gives nothing away - a very polished performer - enjoyed his comments on Armfield who is fast becoming Carlton's defensive forward shut down 'gun' - also enjoying his comments on Judd - he will play a lot of game time around goal square. He is looking forward to betts and Waite coming back sometime in the next month - as are we all.

Coaches' Votes

West Coast vs Carlton
10 Yarran (Carl)
8 S Selwood (WCE)
5 Garlett (Carl)
3 Henderson (Carl)
2 McLean (Carl)
1 Gibbs (Carl)
1 LeCras (WCE)

No votes for the umpires or Murphy?

Worsfold

5 Yarran
4 Selwood
3 Henderson
2 Garlett
1 LeCras

Malthouse

5 Yarran
4 Selwood
3 Garlett
2 Mclean
1 Gibbs

Are you sure they are the specific votes, or just guessing?

It thought Gibbs was better than Murph, and am not surprised he got a 1 (however I thought Jamo was a shoe in for votes).

So much harder to pick players based on TV.

Close to impossible, isn't it Stamos?
You can only work on what you see and not the other 75% of the field that doesn't exist for that moment.

It's not all about possession when put into context of influence to the game.
Really pleased for the recognition that Malthouse gave Gibbs for a game that may have looked somewhat ordinary to outsiders.

Really pleased for the recognition that Malthouse gave Gibbs for a game that may have looked somewhat ordinary to outsiders.

Gibbs should be our tackling coach.
Not sure what his numbers are but his technique is sound and sticks them more often than not.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back