Review Post game review v SUNS

Remove this Banner Ad

Lol, our players continually take each other out in contests, often resulting in injury.

It's almost like we have a chaotic game style (I'm not calling it a game plan) where nobody really knows what they're doing and 22 individuals just sort of go out there and make it up as they go along - with the only real discernible style being the negative, defensive mentality that has been drilled into them by their 'coaches'.

Some of the decision making and execution in the last two minutes was extraordinarily bad. Time after time it's like we picked the absolute worst possible option

Too many to list but off the top of my head!

McKenzie handball into the goal square instead of firing one through the behinds
Duursma kicking long OOTF
Playing on and kicking 40m backwards instead of waiting and then kicking sideways
Drew putting our fate in the hands of the umps instead of rushing a behind
Motlop panicking and skying a ball to Witts
Amon panicking and shanking his attempted torp when he had time

Some really dumb stuff
it's almost like these guys don't have the right coaching instructions........................

"Sack Hinkley, Sack Hinkley, Sack Hinkley ...... terrible we won, terrible we won, terrible we won .... wah wah wah..." sound like f****ng Arsenal supporters!

Give a f**k about Hinkley, the players put in a lion hearted performance for club and guernsey and all some of you whinging ****s can do is disparage and denigrate the side.

Grow up and support your team you f****ng arseholes - fancy calling yourselves Port Adelaide supporters when you are pissed off that we won!

Well done Port Adelaide - keep winning.
Completely agree.

The ARC decision against Farrells bomb was 100% correct. Been that way all year

Incorrect. There was no footage proving that defender hand was on ball in the frame used to make the decision. It was a guess. Video review umpire having to guess = umpires call.

Was a good game to win and good to see us hold off the onslaught.

Dixon was huge. Rozee showed what's to come. Finlayson played his role and then some.

I enjoyed the win, and some parts of the game, but man we revert to trash when the pressure is on. Those last few minutes were like getting multiball on Addams Family and you're just flicking the bumpers blindly hoping you'll hit a ball in the right direction. It gave us a win this time but at best that's always a 50/50 situation and you're relying on luck to get you what you need.

Well I think the players have been trying their guts out since the Richmond game if not before.

Duursma mistakes seem to be happening with his non preferred plus a confidence rut, he’ll come good give him a break.

I still don’t see what Motlop and Fredrick bring to the table. The rest performed well.

I had no problem with the last 90 seconds, trying to protect the lead, plus it worked.

Shame we dropped two to three games in our 0-5 start which we shouldn’t have or we’d be in this.

I found that an enjoyable game. Close finish, some great goals, and although the intensity was high from both teams all game, there was still some free flowing play.

I was particularly impressed by the continual development of some of our younger players.

I thought Lachie Jones was excellent, with his tackle in the last quarter being a match winning moment for us. He has adapted to a new role well. Although he still struggles to take the ball cleanly, I think this will come with time. Looks like he is trying to rush things a bit still, and starts the game a bit nervously, so I expect with experience and confidence he’ll be able to sort this out.

Kane Farrell continues to build on his form as well. 20 touches with a goal, 4 inside 50’s and 8 score involvements is a great return. On return from his ACL injury has managed to slot in seamlessly, and is building consistency well. Great vision and pretty good decision making compliments his kicking skills well, and seems to be more confident not to panic, and to take an extra moment with the ball to ensure he uses it well.

Rozee continues to impress. I thought his ability to impose himself as the game went on, after being well held particularly early in the second quarter. His 3rd quarter really changed the game in our favour

Marshall - his great form continues. 4 goals again, and like last week has done it against pretty good opposition. Not only that nailed multiple clutch goals, the one late in the 3rd quarter from a difficult position.

I thought we made plenty of mistakes with our decision making and tactics late in the game, but hopefully we actually learn from it this time…

Incorrect. There was no footage proving that defender hand was on ball in the frame used to make the decision. It was a guess. Video review umpire having to guess = umpires call.
THIS.

There's no room for probably.

It requires conclusive evidence to over turn the umpires decision.

There was none.

We have extended our QT break, apparently. 13’ remaining in Q2, and only GC came back to play. They took the lead!
If you break the game down, between the 2nd and 4th quarters we kicked 2.8 to 6.8, a bit of work to be done there.
The 1st and 3rd quarters we kicked 11.7 combined to 7.5

The second quarter dominance by them imo was due to the failure of Ken to play a recognised ruckman.

Only if we had 200cm ruckman in the SANFL :think:

Last edited:
I especially enjoyed the way that the entire SUNS supporter base was permitted onto the sacred turf to form a guard of honour as they ran out!
It was funny, I watched themselves it up in front of the eastern gate - the organiser was just grabbing random people as they walked past, outfitting them in merch and handing out flags.
I’m sure I could see a bloke holding a kid with a port scarf.
Well Done to Stewy, they are playing a good brand of footy and that was good game to watch. But I left that game thinking what is the ******* point of the suns. Apart from a few crows supporters who started chirping up during the third quarter, no one cares and I doubt they ever will.

Good to get the win, keeping the slim chance of finals alive.

Fredrick and Mead are not up to AFL level. Duursma has not been able find his first year form. Motlop shouldn’t be in the team- long way past his best.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was Rozee's interview after the Swans game that got me thinking back to Denmark winning Euro 92.

Rozee made a comment about Hinkley at half time just letting the players be free to play their game.

For years I've complained about how it appears we're over coached tactically causing the players to second guess themselves.

Ports 0-5 start this year, almost comparable to Denmark not qualifying to the finals.

In 92, coaching issues led to Michael Laudrup, one of the greats, refusing to play with the national team.

Nielsen basically just let the squad go after the group game loss to host Sweden, trips to McDonald's, mini golf tournaments and allowing the wives into the hotel rooms become a thing.

I don't for a minute, think we can win a premiership under Hinkley, but would settle for him standing out of the way and just let the lads play a high pressure, free flowing game based on natural instints and camaraderie to help redeem something out of this season.

One of the Dane midfielders 7yo daughter was literally dying during the tournament also, he missed a game while she had treatment.

Was like something from Hans Christian Andersen.

A good win but. This is the reality of where we really are.

Hinkley - 10 years - Dew 5years.

June 26th 2022 - Port 13.15 93 d GC 13.13 91 Adelaide Oval
June 19th 2021 - Port 12.9 81 d GC 4.7 31 Metricon.
March 21st 2020 - Port 10.16 76 d GC 4.5 29 Metricon.

2021- GC 16th Port 2nd
2020- GC 14th Port 1st
2019- GC 18th Port 10th
2018- GC 17th Port 10th
2017- GC 17th Port 5th

Hinkley has to go.

I'd make a the case that list vs list Dew is doing a better job.

In the end, neither side has won a flag.

Well I think the players have been trying their guts out since the Richmond game if not before.

Duursma mistakes seem to be happening with his non preferred plus a confidence rut, he’ll come good give him a break.

I still don’t see what Motlop and Fredrick bring to the table. The rest performed well.

I had no problem with the last 90 seconds, trying to protect the lead, plus it worked.

Shame we dropped two to three games in our 0-5 start which we shouldn’t have or we’d be in this.
I'm quite happy if we make finals, as unlikely as that will be.

It will mean we are peaking late, rather than our usual downhill skiing (seemingly) into September.

This year is WIIIIIIDE open!

One of the Dane midfielders 7yo daughter was literally dying during the tournament also, he missed a game while she had treatment.

Was like something from Hans Christian Andersen.
Kim Vilfort, missed against France, family asked him to go back to play in the Semi against Netherlands, played a big part in the in, went back home after the Semi and his daughter asked him to go back to Sweden and play in the final. He scores with 11 minutes left to make it 2-0.

Tragic ending though

It will mean we are peaking late, rather than our usual downhill skiing (seemingly) into September.

If we make finals it'll be the result of needing to peak for the entire second half of the season.

One glaring example of that was Richmond in 2014. We all saw what we did to them after they had to be at the top of their game for such a long period.

13 wins may not be enough this year. May also take percentage to get in.

Next 4 weeks should sort out whether we're in that mix,

Still hoping at the very least we can salvage something that we can take into next year but can't see the old greyhound changing his spots

That's not a bad effort in that context.
However he did virtually nothing with the few possessions he had.
And my biggest issue is his complete lack of physicality. Sure he is not the biggest player we have, but you are expected to compete/put your body on the line, which he fails to do on a regular basis.
The most glaring example was a 'tackle' in the first quarter (I believe, but have been the second quarter)
where it pretty much looked like a bizarre combination of ballroom dancing and a friendly hug.
Frederick is just not at AFL standard. he just doesnt make a contest, makes poor decisions, and has iffy disposals. I know this will grate some here, but we really missed DBJ last night.

Jonas is cooked, and Amon was way off his game, despite his stats.

Our ruck situation is a joke, but thank goodness Charlie saved the day!

If we make finals it'll be the result of needing to peak for the entire second half of the season.

One glaring example of that was Richmond in 2014. We all saw what we did to them after they had to be at the top of their game for such a long period.

At least it will be a different method to the past two years for us.

If you break the game down, between the 2nd and 4th quarters we kicked 2.8 to 6.8, a bit of work to be done there.
The 1st and 3rd quarters we kicked 11.7 combined to 7.5

The second quarter dominance by them imo was due to the failure to play a recognised ruckman.

Only if we had 200cm ruckman in the SANFL :think:

It could be a sign of windy conditions. Most of the goals were on the same side.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back