Review Post game review v SUNS

Remove this Banner Ad

As explained to me, by the father of an AFL goal umpire…

If the ball passes through the goals, at less than the height of the padding, then the back of padding becomes the goal line.

If it passes above the padding, the back of the post is the goal line.

For me, it becomes more farcical when the ball is dribbling through the goals (I.e. below the top of the padding), they appear to use the line not the back of the padding.

That should be for the goal umpire; not, the ARC.

Definitely winner of the award for tonight's most obscure sporting analogy

Obscure?! That 1992 Euro was awesome!

Denmark had failed to qualify. Yugoslavia did, but right before the tournament the country ceased to exist. Thus, one spot opened.

The Danes were invited as wild card. Then, against all odds, they went to win the whole damn thing. [In Swedish soil, to boot!]

Last edited:
I have enjoyed watching us play the last 2 weeks... Couldn't say that for most of the year. Something has changed.
Agree, I really enjoyed the Richmond game as well (apart from the loss). We got our run back in the Richmond game and we started to play pressure football again. The last two weeks we've also added a bit of excitement with young boys.

Has something happened behind the scenes with Hayes? I know it’s Hinkley, but it’s still baffling.
Do you watch Hayes in the maggies? I don't find it baffling, I have no doubt he'll get better but right now he's not good enough for the AFL. We're better with Findlayson and Charlie - we nearly pulled it off against Richmond and in the Sydney and GC games having Findlayson was almost like having another midfielder. Unfortunately Hayes was monstered by Essendon and Geelong and he would have been monstered again today had he played.

Awful tactics that nearly lost the game.
Amon was terrible, butchered so many kicks.
Frederick is not an AFL player.

Jones and Farrell were hard at it.

I’ve said before Dixon should be a first ruck.

Marshalll 👌🏾

Frederick was also quite good. Didn't get much of the ball but used it well when he did get it and defensively was sound.

Have to respectfully question your knowledge of the game
His direct opponent in Rosas kicked one goal and had 7 otherwise meaningless touches. And the goal was from a Witts hitouts to advantage that was basically unstoppable.

What do you want from him?

Good luck with this ever physically occuring.

If the ball hits the goal post, then a behind is scored. It doesn't have to cross any line.

Just like if the ball hits a behind post, its out of play despite the fact that it never crosses the whole of a boundary line.
I understand how it works, I just look at it from first principles and ask why?
Why did it matter if the ball nicked a fingernail of the boot?
Why did it matter if the point of the ball touched the goalpost 6 mtrs up in the air?
Why? Because it just does. And that's ok, if we accept that there's no real game-related reason to check these things.

And now we have cameras and replays and snicko and 90 second reviews and we still argue about it.

Denmark had failed to qualify. Yugoslavia did, but right before the tournament the country ceased to exist. Thus, one spot opened.

The Danes were invited as wild card. Then, against all odds, they went to win the whole damn thing. [In Swedish soil, to boot!]

Went to the Germany vs Netherlands game in Gothenburg in that Euro. Best soccer game I've ever been too. Atmosphere from the Dutch fans was fantastic. They had some team back then: Gullit, Van Basten, Rijkaard, Koeman, Bergkamp etc.

Went to the Germany vs Netherlands game in Gothenburg in that Euro. Best soccer game I've ever been too. Atmosphere from the Dutch fans was fantastic. They had some team back then: Gullit, Van Basten, Rijkaard, Koeman, Bergkamp etc.

The Dutch were the holders, but they were there with a point to prove. They had disappointed in the World Cup in 1990, losing to Germany in the Round of 16.

They went well in the group stage, but ended up eliminated by the Danes in a hell of game in the semifinals.

A good win but. This is the reality of where we really are.

Hinkley - 10 years - Dew 5years.

June 26th 2022 - Port 13.15 93 d GC 13.13 91 Adelaide Oval
June 19th 2021 - Port 12.9 81 d GC 4.7 31 Metricon.
March 21st 2020 - Port 10.16 76 d GC 4.5 29 Metricon.

2021- GC 16th Port 2nd
2020- GC 14th Port 1st
2019- GC 18th Port 10th
2018- GC 17th Port 10th
2017- GC 17th Port 5th

Hinkley has to go.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I didn’t know this. I thought the padding only came into play if it is actually hit but if it’s kicked between the two sticks you go by the goal line. Seems like a pretty stupid rule to use an imaginary line from the back of each respective goal post pad instead of umm let me think the actual line that’s painted on the ground.

And as you said a dribble kick only needs to go past the line? Dumb dumb rules.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
So the distance between the goal posts above the padding is 6.4m, below the padding is 6.33m as the padding is 35mm thick.
As I understand it.

A good win but. This is the reality of how far we have dropped.

Hinkley - 10 years - Dew 5years.

June 26th 2022 - Port 13.15 93 d GC 13.13 91 Adelaide Oval
June 19th 2021 - Port 12.9 81 d GC 4.7 31 Metricon.
March 21st 2020 - Port 10.16 76 d GC 4.5 29 Metricon.

2021- GC 16th Port 2nd
2020- GC 14th Port 1st
2019- GC 18th Port 10th
2018- GC 17th Port 10th
2017- GC 17th Port 5th

Hinkley has to go.
There's plenty of solid arguments against Hinkley without resorting to using Gold coast to track relative performance. GC are good this year. They previously sucked.

We previously were good, and now not so much. We went backwards regardless of GC performance.

So the distance between the goal posts above the padding is 6.4m, below the padding is 6.33m as the padding is 35mm thick.
As I understand it.

Someone needs to sneak onto the oval with a pair of calipers and confirm this. We must know the truth!

The umpire not paying deliberate at the end was the highlight of the game. Actually the umpires were pretty good all the way through. Well done.
Contrast that to the deliberate paid against X on our HFF earlier in the quarter when he toe poked the ball out of a pack.

Suns got a goal from a high contact free against Finlayson when he was reaching over Witts trying to get to the ball in a ruck contest yet the high contact Witts clearly made on SPP in ruck contests was complete ignored by all umpires.

There's plenty of solid arguments against Hinkley without resorting to using Gold coast to track relative performance. GC are good this year. They previously sucked.

We previously were good, and now not so much. We went backwards regardless of GC performance.
Not having a shot at Gold Coast, I could have used several other clubs for this example. My point is Port should be much better considering all the facts.
What I posted is factual not made up rubbish.
My point of the post is to show how our team has under achieved compared to some other clubs coming from a lower base.
Wasn't it Port that played in the last two preliminary finals?

Last edited:

It was Rozee's interview after the Swans game that got me thinking back to Denmark winning Euro 92.

Rozee made a comment about Hinkley at half time just letting the players be free to play their game.

For years I've complained about how it appears we're over coached tactically causing the players to second guess themselves.

Ports 0-5 start this year, almost comparable to Denmark not qualifying to the finals.

In 92, coaching issues led to Michael Laudrup, one of the greats, refusing to play with the national team.

Nielsen basically just let the squad go after the group game loss to host Sweden, trips to McDonald's, mini golf tournaments and allowing the wives into the hotel rooms become a thing.

I don't for a minute, think we can win a premiership under Hinkley, but would settle for him standing out of the way and just let the lads play a high pressure, free flowing game based on natural instints and camaraderie to help redeem something out of this season.

Post game review v SUNS / 1992 Euros review

Final was on June 26th, 1992. Exactly 30 years ago! 😱

[Exactly, for me; but you all get it.]

His direct opponent in Rosas kicked one goal and had 7 otherwise meaningless touches. And the goal was from a Witts hitouts to advantage that was basically unstoppable.

What do you want from him?

That's not a bad effort in that context.
However he did virtually nothing with the few possessions he had.
And my biggest issue is his complete lack of physicality. Sure he is not the biggest player we have, but you are expected to compete/put your body on the line, which he fails to do on a regular basis.
The most glaring example was a 'tackle' in the first quarter (I believe, but have been the second quarter)
where it pretty much looked like a bizarre combination of ballroom dancing and a friendly hug.

Amons bomb kicks never work and his attempted torps always end up going at right angles. Just shtaaapppp doing it please.

Was a good gritty win. I expected us to lose in the last few minutes with Mckenzie acting like a moronand Duursma inexplicably kicking out on the full.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back