Autopsy Post game vs Gold Coast Rd 13, 2018 - Win at last.

Remove this Banner Ad

Paddy is a lead-up forward who plays like a natural footballer and is a bit more clever than the usual key forward. His deficiencies are I don't think he leads for long enough (thus clearing out space).
I agree mate.
Then again it doesn't help his cause when the space is blocked by our guys standing still... Paddy needs to run through a few to remind them that *he* is a lead up forward and *they* are in his way

I agree mate.
Then again it doesn't help his cause when the space is blocked by our guys standing still... Paddy needs to run through a few to remind them that *he* is a lead up forward and *they* are in his way
Yeah I'm sure that's fantastic for team building. Paddy letting his own teammates know who's boss.

Paddy is a lead-up forward who plays like a natural footballer and is a bit more clever than the usual key forward. His deficiencies are I don't think he leads for long enough (thus clearing out space).
We need Paddy to play angry. At the moment he is too nice and afraid to push others out of the way to make them know who is boss. His best games at either level have always been after people/players have got stuck into him and he gets that cocky attitude going.

He did seem to have some of that aggression in the last quarter against Gold Coast, especially with his reaction to the crow after he kicked that goal. Maybe sticking it to the Gold Coast players who throughout the game were having a go at his figure? Whatever it was, we need more of it.

Yeah I'm sure that's fantastic for team building. Paddy letting his own teammates know who's boss.
Hahaha only needs to happen once Crusty and i'm sure all will be forgotten pretty quickly when hes kicking bags of 5+ now that he has the space to lead into.
Clearly it was tongue in cheek and the above statement is also a bit of wishful thinking on my part.
In reality though, what's wrong with having our power forward as the alpha? Seems to work out alright for a few other clubs...

Hahaha only needs to happen once Crusty and i'm sure all will be forgotten pretty quickly when hes kicking bags of 5+ now that he has the space to lead into.
Clearly it was tongue in cheek and the above statement is also a bit of wishful thinking on my part.
In reality though, what's wrong with having our power forward as the alpha? Seems to work out alright for a few other clubs...

Needs a bit of help from the G- train.

I agree mate.
haha, 'sorry i broke yer bak lone dog but you were in m lane m8, clear the fk out next time yer midge'

I agree mate.
This exact point was highlighted on “On The Couch” on Monday night. Three or four genuine one-on-one’s in our forward arc with the “last kick” about to come in and ALL were stationary, but the two “higher” forwards were stationary in the space for the deeper ones to lead into. Was rightly criticised pretty harshly.

This exact point was highlighted on “On The Couch” on Monday night. Three or four genuine one-on-one’s in our forward arc with the “last kick” about to come in and ALL were stationary, but the two “higher” forwards were stationary in the space for the deeper ones to lead into. Was rightly criticised pretty harshly.
Yes.
That Battle goal in the last was in part due to the other two talls leading up the ground, being part of the chain and taking their opponents with them, thus creating the space for Battle to mark.
That play was started by Hunter across half back.
Precision kick to Billings.
Mark and precision kick to Membrey.
Mark and precision kick to McCartin.
Mark and precision kick to Battle.
Goal.
It can work, and it worked very effectively in this instance.

Though I do want to call out Ross’s block in the last that allowed Gresham the room to collect Longer’s tap and then goal.
Kudos to Steven’s shepherd, but that Ross block is truly sublime.
Running from the boundary line into the pack, the opposite direction that Gresham was traveling.
Play of the Day.

I agree mate.
Needs a bit of help from the G- train.

No one was game enough to stand in Pluggers way either, look how that went. :thumbsu: +1

Last edited:
Paddy might not fulfil the hype and expectations of being #1 pick but if he averages like 2 goals, 15+ touches, 8+ marks, and creates a contest for the smalls. I take that considering everything he has been put through. If that dude ever gets full ripped, he would be deadly. His field kicking is probably better than Billings. With the likely return of zones, watch out.

From memory the first kick in that chain was a switch from Battle to Newnes. Then he runs forward and gets on the end of it.

Membrey and Battle on song could become a really potent duo.
Battle wins a tackle on right wing with help from Ross and goes backwards to Carlisle, who kicks back again to Newnes(?) deep in D50, who then kicks out to Clark on the left of the D50 arc.

Hunnta kicks to Billings in left half back, who kicks to Membrey on the boundary who kicks down the line to Paddy, who roosts it into the middle of the fwd 50 where Battle marks and goals.

Beautiful team goal. Not very direct but effective against the Suns.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Picked up on it very quickly. You can see Gresh motion to Longer and the mids just before the bounce.

It was a very very aggressive play and obviously one that would either win or lose us the game. As soon as the ball was bounced our mids ran towards the boundary before Longer had even won the tap.

Very smart play and it's good to see we were switched on late.
Learned from Port last year I reckon. That is Match Day leadership that comes from playing games together as a group no Rooey no Joey and the step up from focus on playing your role to that of what is best for the group role.
This experience transition happens for most players I reckon at 40 to 70 games.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Learned from Port last year I reckon. That is Match Day leadership that comes from playing games together as a group no Rooey no Joey and the step up from focus on playing your role to that of what is best for the group role.
This experience transition happens for most players I reckon at 40 to 70 games.

When Mav Weller marks late in the fourth and has that shot to try and put us in front you can see vision of Gresham bellowing instructions at someone as well. Definitely has a little bit more alpha campaigner in him then Billings.

I also feel that Longer is vital to our midfield right now. He is useless around the ground but if he's accountable in the ruck, our mids can make up for his stupidity.

Hickey this year is averaging amongst our highest contested possession winners, and clearance players.
Are you "sure" our mids can make up for that?

One thing I forgot to mention in my earlier post was that whenever the play was on our side of the ground,you could definitely see that the Suns players were starting to panic at times....when we were from memory about 3 down with 10 mins to play.....thought we had a "sniff" when I began noticing that.

An ex workmate who was a keen Bombers man txted me yesterday.....he said those come from behind wins interstate are VERY SPECIAL.

I'll certainly drink to that !!!!!!

The 20 min bus trip back to the Tram station was electric!

3/4 of the bus were Saints.....1/4 Suns fans at the front.

3 very stirring renditions of the song were sung....the first was that passionate that the front 1/4 of the bus turned around and the look on their faces was priceless....like.."your a passionate mob"

The kids loved it.....one lady started filming us on her mobile.

It's the come from behind finish......the post game HIGH and experiences like the above make you NEVER wanting us to lose a game for whatever reason.

I won't be forgetting Sat night for a long time.

Our Gameday Strategy vs the Suns:

r0BlI4.gif

Never saw it coming, suckers.

Paddy might not fulfil the hype and expectations of being #1 pick but if he averages like 2 goals, 15+ touches, 8+ marks, and creates a contest for the smalls. I take that considering everything he has been put through. If that dude ever gets full ripped, he would be deadly. His field kicking is probably better than Billings. With the likely return of zones, watch out.
dunno bout field kicking, but his goal kicking is!

Having a ruckman who can actually hit the ball to them will make a difference

Even though Longer's ruck stats are not flash, below might be the reasons why our midfield functions better with him in the side.

1. Hitting the ball to our advantage
2. Blocking for our mids, giving our mids more time to collect/dispose the ball
3. Puts pressure on opposition mids with his physicality, causing their mids to fumble

If you look at last year's stats for clearance/contested possessions, our numbers improved significantly with Longer in the side. Unfortunately Longer is a bit useless around the ground. But unless a ruckman's disposals are clean and accurate e.g. effective, they are not not as effective because most of them will be handballing the ball to a mid under pressure/in congestion.

So for a ruckman, I'll argue that able to win hitouts/hitout to advantage and physicality is the most important. Otherwise, you're just playing a tall mid who isn't as mobile and with below average mid skills.

Before the knife comes out.. Longer is not a perfect ruckman, he is not even a good ruckman. But the fact that he seem to make our midfield function a little better means he adds more value to the team. Hickey can get 30 possessions, but if the midfield as a whole gets smashed, we will not win many games.

Even though Longer's ruck stats are not flash, below might be the reasons why our midfield functions better with him in the side.

1. Hitting the ball to our advantage
2. Blocking for our mids, giving our mids more time to collect/dispose the ball
3. Puts pressure on opposition mids with his physicality, causing their mids to fumble

If you look at last year's stats for clearance/contested possessions, our numbers improved significantly with Longer in the side. Unfortunately Longer is a bit useless around the ground. But unless a ruckman's disposals are clean and accurate e.g. effective, they are not not as effective because most of them will be handballing the ball to a mid under pressure/in congestion.

So for a ruckman, I'll argue that able to win hitouts/hitout to advantage and physicality is the most important. Otherwise, you're just playing a tall mid who isn't as mobile and with below average mid skills.

Before the knife comes out.. Longer is not a perfect ruckman, he is not even a good ruckman. But the fact that he seem to make our midfield function a little better means he adds more value to the team. Hickey can get 30 possessions, but if the midfield as a whole gets smashed, we will not win many games.
100% agree. I don't know how or why, but the midfield looks so much better when Billy is playing. Maybe because they know he is hopeless at everything but hitting the ball, they subconsciously put in more effort?

His off the ball work is pretty good as well, and I noticed at lot of the end of last season that Billy was starting to set up the midfield and have some leadership qualities.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back