Opinion Post here if disappointed with your clubs draft picks

Schraderbrau

Cancelled
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
None of what you just wrote takes away from the pies drafting failures of recent and the fact that they are a middle of the road club. If go out of your way to wind up a set of supporters don't get all sulky when your clubs many recent wrong turns are pointed out
lol at winding up a set of supporters. The facts speak for themselves :(. If you don't like them then go back to the Melbourne board where the last decade of failure didn't happen.

womble54

Club Legend
Apr 17, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Honestly, if we had access to the picks that Melbourne had we probably would have won the last 3 premierships. The reason why we are in the position we are now is because we've been going through a rebuild and regenerating the list. Most people believe that our rebuild hit its lowest point this season and we will now be moving back up the ladder. That is in stark contrast to a decade of rebuilding that Melbourne has undertaking for no success.

The difference between our clubs can be reduced to this - to Collingwood finishing 10th is our biggest failure for almost a decade - to Melbourne finishing 10th would be their biggest success in that same period. It is therefore no surprise that in spite of all the draft picks Melbourne has harvested through tanking or just being terrible (take your pick), Collingwood is still a significant favorite in the betting markets to finish higher on the ladder than Melbourne in 2016. The fact that this is the case in a system intended to aid clubs that finish on the bottom is a disgrace and something Melbourne ought be ashamed of.

I'm first in line for a good demon bashing but I can see Melbourne going past the pies in the coming years. Shazza may never make it, Aish overated, Broomhead overated, De Goey is good but not the superstar he's touted, Grundy likewise although still young for a ruck and may come on. Really like Darcy Moore - superstar of the future and better than Daniher for me, and Treloar is a gun but I just don't see the gun midfield needed to win a flag. Cloke and Swan will be cooked soon. It just feels unbalanced.

Oliver (if he comes on and at pick 3 you'd bloody hope so), Viney, Petracca, Brayshaw, Tyson, Jones into Weiderman/Hogan in theory starts looking lethal...

The worm may be finalising it's long and tortuous turn for the long suffering dees fans..

hepd

Senior List
Nov 5, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Obviously injury related but no (or limited) champs this year (some played last year) for Mills, Kennedy, Burton and Weideman. The issue with Oliver is more he didn't get picked than not playing.

But if they held the champs at the end of the year not the middle he would've been in the first few picked for Vic Country. He finished the year with 5 games never outside the best 2 on the ground for his team.

The counter to the champs argument was that he played 2 games for Richmond in the VFL and impressed.

People are missing the fact that Essendon probably would've snapped him up at 4/5 had you picked Parish. So it's not as if he was an unknown bolter. Oliver tested superbly at the combine and it's not as if he was purely being a brute to kids his age in the TAC cup - he sets up well at the stoppages and has great positioning.

He also didn't get picked due to OP rather than his ability and we know how debilitating that can be. I guess the concerns are that he couldn't break into his original TAC cup side before he moved teams and his lack of exposure to the very top talent but they're somewhat allayed by his VFL performances in which he was named in the best once and the other played against the all conquering Box Hill Hawks.

Definitely one of the more riskier picks but probably worth the risk with very good potential upside.

RedLegs#5

Cancelled
May 30, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Socceroos,Wallabies, Glenn McGrath.
lol at winding up a set of supporters. The facts speak for themselves :(. If you don't like them then go back to the Melbourne board where the last decade of failure didn't happen.

So witty. Your football knowledge and cutting edge humor continue to amaze us all. Add it all to that 'record' of yours.

fIpvRPB.gif

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
1. I never said Oliver was bad, just that Francis is better. Even so, this seems to have struck a cord with Melbourne supporters who are perhaps sick of other supporters ripping into them for poor drafting.

2. lol at the Morrish Medal being any kind of indicator of making it at AFL level. Of the past winners only Heppell and Lenny Hayes stand out and there are a lot who weren't drafted, didn't make it or turned out to be just average AFL players.

3. "We would not have picked him if he was no good" - Very surprised to hear this from a Melbourne supporter in light of recent drafting history:(
Mate, seriously, you don't know what you're on about, you don't know if pick 3 will be a flop and pick 73 a Brownlow medallist. You simply don't know if Francis is better. You don't. You actually don't. These kids are 18, judge them at 24 and stop making a clown of yourself.

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
This'll be good.

How?

You're completely missing the point.

These academies are designed to grow the game in non football areas and if you can say with a straight face that this guy would have been lost to the sport without it being for the GWS academy then you've done well! Blokes like Heeney and Mills wouldn't be in the system without the Swans academy and that's the whole point of them.

Good luck to GWS and I'd suggest they cash in as long as they can because the AFL aligning them with the Riverina is just a massive rort that will only last so long, IMO. The other thing to note out of it is that my view has nothing to do with Hopper anyway because they would have got him anyway if they were dead keen after trading out Treloar...

SterlingArcher

Brownlow Medallist
May 16, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
This'll be good.

How?

Err, because for one you are picking the best players to represent a national side that does not compete v the league side (der ******* der).

And the other one club gets access to a player because of 'academy' 'expanding the game' even though he was allowed to play in the top junior league in the country.

Not that I have a problem with GWS getting him as he was in the academy for ages, but your comparison is ******* ludicrus. I have no idea how you can pretend NBA/australia and a-league/australia are remotely similar situations.

SterlingArcher

Brownlow Medallist
May 16, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Hahahaha.

You're saying that they can't be in the GWS academy coz they're playing in a league outside of the zone.

NBA players play in a league outside of Australia. Same with non A-League. But they can play in the side based on where their from.

Yet kids from NSW can't?

Yeah right. Good work mate.

The GWS academy and the TAC Cup are both pathways for talented youth. A little different to a national side and a professional side. Just a little. Good work mate.

The GWS academy and the TAC Cup are both pathways for talented youth. A little different to a national side and a professional side. Just a little. Good work mate.
Rubbish.

Both the zone and national selection are based on where the person was born and raised. (Albeit a little greyer for the national teams.)

But yeah keep bleating ones a national side like that makes a difference to the selection process for both.

You're completely missing the point.

These academies are designed to grow the game in non football areas and if you can say with a straight face that this guy would have been lost to the sport without it being for the GWS academy then you've done well! Blokes like Heeney and Mills wouldn't be in the system without the Swans academy and that's the whole point of them.

Good luck to GWS and I'd suggest they cash in as long as they can because the AFL aligning them with the Riverina is just a massive rort that will only last so long, IMO. The other thing to note out of it is that my view has nothing to do with Hopper anyway because they would have got him anyway if they were dead keen after trading out Treloar...
It's funny how you say I've completely missed the point and then completely dismiss the years he wasn't in the TAC cup. He made it to that side because of his involvement in the GWS academy.

But let's ignore all the years before he was in the TAC cup and focus on his short time at boarding school. Makes sense.

SloaneysDanger

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 26, 2014
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide Utd, Liverpool, Cavaliers
Otten - injured, slow. Shaw - meh. Cheney - not long for AFL, slow. Van Berlo - disciplined, but slow, not a great one on one defender deep. I'm not sure how long those 4 have left at AFL level

Hampton, Seedsman, Henderson - all rebounding defenders/wingman, you aren't putting them on a good medium forward, they'll get carved up. Probably room for 1 or 2 of them in the same backline. I expect Seedsman to play more wing if he'll ever settle at AFL.

Laird and Smith - good options, but needed to play attacking half back or midfield surely? Can't waste them deep.

Kelly - sure. But I think he plays better tall, not sure he's athletic enough to stop medium or smalls. I'd have him as a 3rd tall despite being undersized
Lever - yes. But do you want Jake Lever sitting in a back pocket on Wingard or Breust when he could be patrolling CHB intercept marking and positioning himself to control the backline?

No doubt you might have had more important needs - a gun inside mid for one, some extra talls another, but personally I still think a lock down medium defender wasn't a bad idea. My question is who would you have wanted more? The sure fire inside mids were gone. After your picks is was mainly flankers, the odd tall and smaller running mids like Lovell, Gresham. Mathieson and Dunkley the only bigger mids. I don't think Kieran Collins or Ben McKay were good fits, your coach has come from Hawthorn and West Coast were the game plan is zone defense with mobile key defenders who intercept and rebound, not big one on one types. The obvious choice given you bid on Himmelberg was Burton, but if his knee was a no call from your medics then so be it.
I wanted Collins or Burton. Our only recognized CHB right now is Hartigan and he isn't even best 22 for mine. He's only played as many games as he has because we have no one else. I wish we drafted another tall CHB/FB type of player to challenge Hartigan next year and Collins looks a ready made AFL player.

Like I've already said I'm happy to see how Doedee develops and I do hope he turns out to be a great pick, but it wasn't my preferred selection, so we shall see.

rog1995

Cancelled
Mar 26, 2007
AFL Club
Carlton
Mate, seriously, you don't know what you're on about, you don't know if pick 3 will be a flop and pick 73 a Brownlow medallist. You simply don't know if Francis is better. You don't. You actually don't. These kids are 18, judge them at 24 and stop making a clown of yourself.
Melbourne are getting together the nucleus of a potential premiership side. Yes they have had a few misses, but who hasn't. Their midfield of Jones, Brayshaw, Petracca, Oliver, Tyson, Viney. The forward line of Hogan & Weiderman could be the best in the league by 2020. If they draft well in the next 2 years and maybe get a young gun midfielder they will be pushing top 4 in a few years.

scooter600x

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 14, 2003
Behind the goals, Geelong Rd end
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Nobody gave a yelp when we put time and effort into this area.{little from swans}.
All the kids that get drafted to other clubs will dream to come home to gws in the near future.

All that work you put in developing kids like the Danihers and Wayne Carey?

It's always been an Australian Football area and that it's been allocated to the academies at all is a joke.

Sep 5, 2014
Hertford
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Manchester United, Stevenage FC
Frances can play everywhere and was a class act in the championships. We didn't see Oliver at them because he didn't make the cut.
Oliver was injured, that's why he didn't make the cut. He was fat because he missed the preseason through injury. He slimmed right down and had an excellent combine. You draft the contested ball winning beast ahead of the flanker every time.

You clearly haven't seen Francis as he can't play through the midfield. He's a handy forward but an unaccountable backmen who had big bags kicked on him during the championship.

Francis could turn into a fantastic flanker in a couple of years. Oliver will be a good AFL player next year. Why don't you trust Melbourne's recruiters. They've been good since changing recruiters. If you want to troll them, Wiedermen should be your target.

The Bomb

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 17, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Oliver was injured, that's why he didn't make the cut. He was fat because he missed the preseason through injury. He slimmed right down and had an excellent combine. You draft the contested ball winning beast ahead of the flanker every time.

You clearly haven't seen Francis as he can't play through the midfield. He's a handy forward but an unaccountable backmen who had big bags kicked on him during the championship.

Francis could turn into a fantastic flanker in a couple of years. Oliver will be a good AFL player next year. Why don't you trust Melbourne's recruiters. They've been good since changing recruiters. If you want to troll them, Wiedermen should be your target.

You clearly have never watched Francis play.

Talking to a friend at West Adelaide he likened Francis to country boy Ricciuto from SA, the best 1 on 1 player since the great Ricciuto, played forward he is really hard to stop, reads the play much like Hodge when in defence, one of the best 1 on 1 players to come out of SA.
Sorry to get in the way of a good story.

People are saying the same things now about Francis that were said about Scharenberg two years ago. There's no such thing as a sure thing.

I'm more than happy with Oliver, the kid is a freak show. Not concerned about whether or not we should have taken Parish and Francis. They'll be fine players, but Oliver has as much potential as any other talent in the draft.

Back