Post JLT: Should we be worried?

Remove this Banner Ad

We're in a bad place to start the season with our injuries and the number of important underdone players we'll have (Brown, Ziebell etc). No excuses though. We've been crowing about our great depth for five months. Time for those 20-30 best on the list type players to stand up.

No great concerns.

Was actually happy to see the running & link up stuff pay off in the first quarter until we went back in to our shell and become stagnant.

Port's high possession 8 metre sideways chip kicking s**t contributed to that. We were all over them when it was run & gun.

I think there were positives to take out of it with the form of Ahern, Scott and LDU.

The worry is we have so many players injured or have had injury interrupted pre-seasons.

No great concerns.

Was actually happy to see the running & link up stuff pay off in the first quarter until we went back in to our shell and become stagnant.

Port's high possession 8 metre sideways chip kicking s**t contributed to that. We were all over them when it was run & gun.
Why do we do that? Same against saints.

Depends what the expectation was.

If we thought that we were going to finish top 6 - win a final and see what happens from there - then the JLT has been a huge disappointment.

If we expected North to finish 9-14 and win 8-10 games the the JLT shows we are pretty much on track.

I was in the former camp given it is the 10th year of the same coach and we are playing a mature side. Hey - that's just me though with such lofty expectations as a top 6 finish...

Last edited:
Our best back, our best mid have missed both JLT. Our number 1 ruck missed JLT 2

Polec has proved his value already. Tyson similar and Hall will provide good run.

Ahern looks amazing, LDU is building nicely.
Bailey Scott looks ready made.

Brown will have to shoulder a big load and some injuries mounting early are a concern.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m more concerned with a couple of players than the team as a whole.

I’ve liked our spread at times but on other occasions it’s looked a bit handball happy due to the number of players running to similar spots to receive a handball .
I’d like to see a lot more un-rewarded running to spread the opposition when they’re trying to defend our ball movement .
He cops a lot of crap at times but McMillan is brilliant with his in-rewarded running and I know the love that s**t too .

Little concerned on the back of numerous match simulations and 2 practice games prior to this hit out.

Just more of the same predictable stuff. Winning isn't important obviously but as a dress rehearsals for round 1 I expected more polish, more link up play, how we'll use the new kick out rule.

Higgins, Cunnington, Tarrant can't do it all themselves.

You couldn't have watched that and be filled with confidence going into round 1.

I'm only worried if Jed doesn't get up for Round 1.

Once Goldstein and Cunnington are back, that'll make the defenders look better by default because we'll be winning the ball more around the contest. But without Jed - and Jacobs not playing for who knows how long - there's a little bit of a hole around our defensive pressure at stoppages, and especially centre bounces.

Sheesh. I wasn't worried, now I'm unsure whether I'm worried about the fact I might be worried or that I'm worried that I'm not worried when I should be worried.

Hope that brings clarity to how I see us after our two games against fairly strong opponents, strong as in close to their preferred sides come rd 1.

I see us short by about eight players currently, that's lap of the Gods stuff and we can't do much about that. Our best team would give this comp a real shake and that's all we can control- bringing in guys that improve us.

Our new players have impressed imo- including TT and Scott. Ahern and LDU have also gone up a notch. Good times ahead peeps!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back