Post JLT: Should we be worried?

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone know for sure whether Cunnington and/or Anderson will miss rd1?
I'm sure I've read somewhere that Cunners could've played of it were the season proper. It's a corkie, he's got the best part of 2 weeks to prepare. I can't see an issue.

Jed's a mystery. I read at the time that "it wasn't a bad as first thought". Thank * for that as he hasn't been seen for 3 weeks. On the flip side 21 days was the old benchmark for a hammy so hopefully we're just being cautious.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

I'd have Polec as a deep sweeping wing rather than a permanent fixture back there. It would give him licence to get upfield too.
You want Polec around the play so you can get the ball in his hands as much as possible. Ideally just off the contest so he got space to use his foot skills.

Not getting all our mids playing warm up games to gel is one of a few issues.
Most of issues are out of our hands with injury
Why hasn’t Jacobs played

Pretty much prepared to write off the first month till we get soldiers back and up to speed

You want Polec around the play so you can get the ball in his hands as much as possible. Ideally just off the contest so he got space to use his foot skills.

Playing him off the square isn't necessarily taking him out of the play, but I get what you & B Tron are saying, I just think our transitions have been a weakness for years.

For me this weakness contributes to our low number of F50 entries, as well as detracting from Browns main strength as a forward ie: separation from his opponent, ball out front, full stretch. The stagnant predictability allows time for the opposition to setup structurally and double/triple team our main threat. Personally, I think we're crying out for an elite distributor that helps us move from being a good average side to a genuine heavyweight. Something we haven't been for 20 years.

With the new additions combined with our rising young talent, we are starting to get options we have never really had before. I'll be disappointed if they're not explored.

I don't have too much concerns for the year. I think we are very well placed. Yes we have a few injuries right now but from what I saw on the weekend we have so much to look forward to.

I am really excited to have the likes of Ahern, LDU, Scott and Thomas in the side. These kids are footballers. And I have no concern with Jy. He has so much talent, he will be fine. I would put him in the forward pocket crumbing off brown and just let him do his thing.

I also believe that in round 2 if we have Tarrant and Thompson we should move McKay to CHF. Wood cannot play as the 2nd tall forward. He is basically rendered invisible when he does. Aand I will not lose any sleep if Hrovat doesn't ever play a game for the club in the firsts again.

Also I spoke to my mate regarding Jed and I have been told that it is more likely we will see him in round 2 and not in round 1.

So if all those guys are out then Polec goes back? Is that what you're saying? My initial post was about addressing an area of weakness in our ball movement from defence to attack. I'd have Polec back there permanently, move JMac to the wing/hf rotations and improve a weakness whilst making the most of Jamie's assets.
Yeah I'm not sure what point you are trying to make mate.

It's a discussion board. It's all hot air.
I wasn't having a go at you Grogg. I was just making the point that if it all goes pear-shaped on the defensive injury front, our hand will be forced and we'll have to come up with less than ideal solutions - that's all. As regards, my hot air comment, I was just saying that if everything comes up roses and Tarrant, JMac and Marley get up (which is eminently possible), that would render all our worries as "hot air". Personally, I don't regard everything that's written on Big Footy as hot air. Plenty of good discussion and opinions get touted around here as well. Sorry, if I gave you any other impression.

Last edited:
I wasn't have a go at you Grogg. I was just making the point that if it all goes pear-shaped on the defensive injury front, our hand will be forced and we'll have to come up with less than ideal solutions - that's all. As regards, my hot air comment, I was just saying that if everything comes up roses and Tarrant, JMac and Marley get up (which is eminently possible), that would render all our worries as "hot air". Personally, I don't regard everything that's written on Big Footy as hot air. Plenty of good discussion and opinions get touted around here as well. Sorry, if I gave you any other impression.
All good Caracas.

Didn't think you were having a go & I wasn't meaning to appear defensive, so sorry if that's how it looked.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we can get the points in round 1 l would say that it would be a bonus. We dont win many 1st round matches and with a weakened side being fielded l could start my holidays on a happy note...:)

Worries, in order:

1. Tarrant's shoulder
2. Jacobs sinus
3. Waite's replacement (and what happened to Watson?)

Yep, Forward line structure and how it functions is one of my worries. I think teams started to work out how to play Browny in the last half of the year. No big body 2nd target worries me. I don't have confidence in Wood to become a consistent high level performer.

Backline is also a question mark for me. Tarrent unerdone. Losing Majak hurts. Can McKay fill the void? Not sure.

Best case scenario, McKay steps up and Maj comes back later in the year to offer another big target up front

Yep, Forward line structure and how it functions is one of my worries. I think teams started to work out how to play Browny in the last half of the year. No big body 2nd target worries me. I don't have confidence in Wood to become a consistent high level performer.

Backline is also a question mark for me. Tarrent unerdone. Losing Majak hurts. Can McKay fill the void? Not sure.

Best case scenario, McKay steps up and Maj comes back later in the year to offer another big target up front

I doubt "underdone" will be an issue for Robbie Tarrant mate, and his aerobic fitness is good.

As for B-Mac filling the void in Tazz's absence, Freo will probably only have Lobb as a tall forward option, considering Cox & Taberner have gone down with injury. Neither Tarrant or B-Mac would be taking Hogan anyway.

Higgins - good
Cunnington - corky
Brown - underdone
Tarrant - AC Joint
Jacobs - sinus
Polec - good
Ziebell - underdone
Jed - hammy
Goldstein - good
Hall - medial strain

This is a list of our clear top 10 players.
7 of the 10 are under injury clouds. So yes I’m worried

I don't have too much concerns for the year. I think we are very well placed. Yes we have a few injuries right now but from what I saw on the weekend we have so much to look forward to.

I am really excited to have the likes of Ahern, LDU, Scott and Thomas in the side. These kids are footballers. And I have no concern with Jy. He has so much talent, he will be fine. I would put him in the forward pocket crumbing off brown and just let him do his thing.

I also believe that in round 2 if we have Tarrant and Thompson we should move McKay to CHF. Wood cannot play as the 2nd tall forward. He is basically rendered invisible when he does. Aand I will not lose any sleep if Hrovat doesn't ever play a game for the club in the firsts again.

Also I spoke to my mate regarding Jed and I have been told that it is more likely we will see him in round 2 and not in round 1.
Putting McKay forward is fine, but how does that solve our backline issue? Taz and Thompson need replacement sooner than later.

Watching West Coast v Freo, West Coast ball movement from defence is not predictable. They don't handball to runners if they'll run into the zone and they don't handball high and loopy to stationary loose players who will be closed down. In those situations they kick it and often the 'dummy' runner has created time for the kicker by drawing the opposition. If they do loop handballs, they don't telegraph it and the team mate can run on.

In our JLTs, our ball movement from the back looked contrived and lacked awareness of the opposition. The coaching staff need to let those guys play on instinct and not insist on run, handball and short kicks - that often led to backwards and sideways ball movement- a nightmare for our forwards or turnovers with our backs way out of position.

Sometimes the best option is going to be for Pittard, McDonald etc to kick it 60+ metres to a 50-50. Don't deny them this option or we are going to concede so many easy goals from turnover.

Nathan Buckley’s on SEN right now and earlier he was lauding North’s ability to snare five centre clearance goals in a row v Port.
Heard that. I feel like us and Port though have this as a glaring weakness as we conceded 4 goals in a row straight after that and the Port board complain of their inability to halt momentum swings as a Hinkley weakness.
Then there was the 7 goals in a row we conceded against the Saints.
Granted when Cunnington and Jed are in there ill feel more at ease - the JLT 6-6-6- without Cunnington, Jed, Jacobs, Tarrant, Thompson and co has given us no indication whatsoever of how well go in 2 weeks time.

Nathan Buckley’s on SEN right now and earlier he was lauding North’s ability to snare five centre clearance goals in a row v Port.

Imagine what we could do with Cunnington and a winning ruckman?

Watching West Coast v Freo, West Coast ball movement from defence is not predictable. They don't handball to runners if they'll run into the zone and they don't handball high and loopy to stationary loose players who will be closed down. In those situations they kick it and often the 'dummy' runner has created time for the kicker by drawing the opposition. If they do loop handballs, they don't telegraph it and the team mate can run on.

In our JLTs, our ball movement from the back looked contrived and lacked awareness of the opposition. The coaching staff need to let those guys play on instinct and not insist on run, handball and short kicks - that often led to backwards and sideways ball movement- a nightmare for our forwards or turnovers with our backs way out of position.

Sometimes the best option is going to be for Pittard, McDonald etc to kick it 60+ metres to a 50-50. Don't deny them this option or we are going to concede so many easy goals from turnover.
Our personnel and game style is suited to long kicking; we should not be trying to mimic Hawthorn's style of footy, but a variation of West Coast's style, albeit altered for our purposes.

Our personnel and game style is suited to long kicking;

100% agree.

In 10 million words or less can you explain to me why we don't do that (i.e. play like West Coast)?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back