Post JLT: Should we be worried?

100% agree.

In 10 million words or less can you explain to me why we don't do that (i.e. play like West Coast)?
Partly a consequence of coaching instincts out of players and not enough confidence in themselves/forwards to at least half the contest.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Partly a consequence of coaching instincts out of players and not enough confidence in themselves/forwards to at least half the contest.

It's overly defensive tactics, which have to be amended now that we have serious offensive power.

Adam Simpson would make us a 5 goal better side with the players at our disposal. It's up to Brad to see if he can do that.

It's overly defensive tactics, which have to be amended now that we have serious offensive power.

Adam Simpson would make us a 5 goal better side with the players at our disposal. It's up to Brad to see if he can do that.
That is my only true concern about Brad and the current gameplan. Squad talent, etc. is fine from my POV.

remfan101

Club Legend
Oct 23, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I think we have to be worried given the recurring theme of bizarrely slow and stagnant ball movements out of defence we saw across both JLTs. It was very clear that it was under instruction and therefore an indicator of our game style in '19, and I honestly can't imagine a plan less suited to our defensive group.

I hope I'm wrong, but if Brad is set on precise short kicking out of defence then we are going to concede a lot of goals from turnovers in this area of the ground. It also seems very counter- intuitive when the new rules allow quicker and more damaging long kicks whichever tend to be our strength anyway.

I think we have to be worried given the recurring theme of bizarrely slow and stagnant ball movements out of defence we saw across both JLTs. It was very clear that it was under instruction and therefore an indicator of our game style in '19, and I honestly can't imagine a plan less suited to our defensive group.

I hope I'm wrong, but if Brad is set on precise short kicking out of defence then we are going to concede a lot of goals from turnovers in this area of the ground. It also seems very counter- intuitive when the new rules allow quicker and more damaging long kicks whichever tend to be our strength anyway.
The long-kicking also feeds into other areas of our game, i.e. pressure and defensive transitions.

arden station

Cancelled
May 3, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Our personnel and game style is suited to long kicking; we should not be trying to mimic Hawthorn's style of footy, but a variation of West Coast's style, albeit altered for our purposes.
I agree we don't have those elite kicking skills in the back six. I think it's about being unpredictable to the opposition - in JLT 1 and 2 we telegraphed our intentions to flick it around, run and carry. The opposition then know to press high and in numbers. Might sound simple but good sides kick it over high presses to advantage or 50-50s. But they will then run and carry when the press drops off and the opportunity arises. The game style is to treat each situation on its merits - not rigidly stick to a style.

Cool Kangas

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 2, 2010
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Then more I read about our injury concerns the more concerned I get. Our backline is very depleted. Real real worry.

Our personnel and game style is suited to long kicking; we should not be trying to mimic Hawthorn's style of footy, but a variation of West Coast's style, albeit altered for our purposes.
Are you sure? Since Waite is gone, and our forward line doesn't look like marking after a long kick

Are you sure? Since Waite is gone, and our forward line doesn't look like marking after a long kick
Well it's certainly not suited to possession denial, that's for sure.

Really? For mine, the more I have read, the less concerned I've become because the news has actually got better the last couple of days.
Same.

Tarrant and Williams get up then we should be very confident.

LMac unleashed a couple of congestion-busting bombs in JLT1 that came right back over his head and everyone called for his delisting.
That's why it's called a game plan, not simply a player deciding to do something that nobody is expecting. If we are resorting to a long kick in that situation, we should have a forward leading to that area to at least provide a contest.
Clubs that are well drilled rarely kick to a position where opposition is able to take uncontested marks. That's what's frustrating watching us early in the season (this happens each year) as it seems we haven't been working on any particular game plan during summer. We then attempt to conjure up a game plan during the season based on what other clubs are doing.

Think zone busting and opening up forward space to minimise the need contested marking. Also, better structuring up the field so we can take advantage of long kicking. We only need a contest from the marker.

The only time I've been worried post preseason was this (2007) and we went on to make the Prelim.

kangaroos-v-stkilda-kangaroos-nathan-thompson-walks-back-to-the-room-picture-id540189675

nj23

Senior List
Jan 24, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
That's why it's called a game plan, not simply a player deciding to do something that nobody is expecting. If we are resorting to a long kick in that situation, we should have a forward leading to that area to at least provide a contest.
Clubs that are well drilled rarely kick to a position where opposition is able to take uncontested marks. That's what's frustrating watching us early in the season (this happens each year) as it seems we haven't been working on any particular game plan during summer. We then attempt to conjure up a game plan during the season based on what other clubs are doing.

Was often Wood’s job to present up the wing. Or we’d see brown appear for those longer exits from D50. Feel like they were told not to bother too much in JLT.

Was often Wood’s job to present up the wing. Or we’d see brown appear for those longer exits from D50. Feel like they were told not to bother too much in JLT.
Geez, if they were told "not to bother too much" then we should have fielded our VFL side instead

nj23

Senior List
Jan 24, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Geez, if they were told "not to bother too much" then we should have fielded our VFL side instead

Yeah I’m taking the glass half full rather than assuming they were being deliberately lazy. Brown and wood usually clock up huge km’s each game though which is why I raise that maybe they didn’t present up the wing all day as some sort of instruction.

Cool Kangas

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 2, 2010
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Really? For mine, the more I have read, the less concerned I've become because the news has actually got better the last couple of days.
Taz still recovering
Anderson hammy - uncertain
Garner hammy - no idea
Cunners had a corky
Marley still recovering

Etc etc....

Back