Post - loss clarity. Do some of us get TOO emotional?

Remove this Banner Ad

I have a Hawk supporting cousin who has had some major meltdowns after losses during their run at the top. Posting on Facebook then copping a heap of sh*t for being a poor loser. I would wind him up then go to check the aftermath in the morning only to find the post deleted. The more he carried on the more he would cop from his mates
Happy to report I’m not in that league. Or even it’s div 4 amateur equivalent.

I find it interesting that the supporters usually take it worse than the players. Often players are smiling and chatting with the opposition after the siren. Another thing is people leaving at three quarter time. Imagine going to your local oval and watching the club you used to play for. Would you leave if they were losing badly at three quarter time? Seems a strange scenario.

Mrs Tony_Clifton-"Hey babe, you're home early. Where's Tony_Clifton jr?"
Mr Tony_Clifton-".............."
Mrs Clifton-"Love, where's T_C jr?.....jesus! again!"
Mr Tony_Clifton "A thirty minute run home should do him some good after that piss poor effort I had to endure for 3/4s"

Comes down to emotional control. Some people lack the ability to reign in their emotions when it comes to other people. It shouldn't ever be something you take out on anyone else.

But trying to make supporters into some sort of North Korea-clap-on-command type of operation will rip the heart out of the game. Some people need the lows to truly appreciate the highs, some people just can't deal with it. But there is nothing better than tribal combat in the stands as long as it doesn't spill into physical or post-match anti-social behaviour.

As OP says it is balance but we should remember in the main most are fine and that we shouldn't let the extremes dictate policy.

I used to let it affect me way too much, but I've mellowed a lot now to the point that I move on pretty much immediately. Perfect example on Saturday night - Cats lost a game they had in their control by less than a goal, with a dodgy decision right at the death. 5 years ago I would have exploded!

The turning point for me was definitely having kids and asking myself what kind of example I wanted to be setting. In fact I can pinpoint the exact moment - a 2017 loss to Essendon. Lost my s**t and made an absolute campaigner of myself with my young son watching on and getting upset. Once I had cooled down I was horrified by my actions and realized I needed to change.

The highs definitely aren't as high as they once were now that I'm less emotionally invested, but I still get a heap of enjoyment out of Geelong playing well and/or winning, without the embarrassing tantrums when they're not.

Tbh we hawks fans were a bit jaded after 3 on the trot and you could see the doggies and tigers fans really got into their flags (like cats in 07 and hawks in 08)

I suppose Fremantle would have gone off in 2013 but swans and eagles, you’ve had enough guys

What is the op on about? I’m completely fine after a loss. sure, I might make a few phone calls to chat to some equally passionate supporters about what went wrong, but that’s normal yeah?

for example, here I am after Saturday’s loss to GWS speaking to a mate about how Taranto ran around like an unregistered dog all game...

74FD98D3-4856-43D5-A1FC-DDD87AE367C4.gif

Cut loose, but just don't bag your own players publically.
I feel some losses so deeply that it can remain for years, and getting older doesn't change that at all. But it's what makes this current era so unbelievably pleasurable.

I think it depends on how far back into the game that I’ve resolved to losing. For a long period there (Voss / Leppa coach era) I made that realisation in most games around the 10 minute of the second quarter, so I wasn’t overly emotional, just constantly disappointed.

Earlier this season though I had to take nearly a week off from BF and Facebook footy pages after the Geelong game. I was pretty bloody salty about that one, and again I think it came down to the final few seconds that decided the fate of the game. But ultimately it’s not a life changing event, just a seagull to the face during a ride on the AFL season roller coaster.

I get shitty after a loss, it can last anywhere from 10 mins to maybe the rest of that day. After that I’m fine.

I’ve never seriously considered ditching my membership etc. And if that hasn’t happened after some of the sh*t my mob has pulled over the past 20 years, it’s probably never going too!
You haven’t seriously considered ditching your membership as an essendon supporter?

have you been in a coma for the past 10 years? At the very least you should of seriously considered it given what went down.

I will admit I do get kind of carried away during games a bit, especially if they're frustrating or close. Moreso live but also on telly. It's all part and parcel of being a supporter. There have been a couple of occasions where I did get carried away cursing and abusing umps and players (doubt they heard lol), and I'm a little ashamed of it. You can barrack passionately without being an arse about it.

As for how much it affects me after...definitely a mood lifter if we win, of course, and I feel a bit flat after a loss...I think other factors come into a play. Some losses sting more. If we put in effort and I feel it was a fair contest it's easier to accept. After a certain point though if the boys stop trying I stop caring so much. I'd say a day or two later I don't think that much about it, unless it's a final maybe.

But yeah, I think AFL supporters on the whole while passionate aren't too bad. Think of the rioting and fighting with some soccer games. Now that's pretty stupid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I find it interesting that the supporters usually take it worse than the players. Often players are smiling and chatting with the opposition after the siren. Another thing is people leaving at three quarter time. Imagine going to your local oval and watching the club you used to play for. Would you leave if they were losing badly at three quarter time? Seems a strange scenario.

Mrs Tony_Clifton-"Hey babe, you're home early. Where's Tony_Clifton jr?"
Mr Tony_Clifton-".............."
Mrs Clifton-"Love, where's T_C jr?.....jesus! again!"
Mr Tony_Clifton "A thirty minute run home should do him some good after that piss poor effort I had to endure for 3/4s"

I wonder if the fact most players weren't supporters of the club plays some role. They're basically professional free agents. The allegiance to the club comes when they start playing, usually. I think the WA and SA clubs though have more players who grew up supporting the clubs they played for as many on the list are local.

In an ideal world you'd play for the team you barrack for imo.

Like others, I can get a bit shitty after a loss, especially if it was a frustrating loss or a game I feel we should have won. That can last for the rest of the day/night or I can move on pretty quickly depending on what else I'm doing. If it was a loss in a knock-out final I might be flat for a few days.

I was far worse in my teens/20s, I think I have mellowed a bit in my 30s.

I always remember that these guys and girls are getting payed a lot of money to do something they love while the majority of us don't. Good luck to them on that but at the end of the day, they don't provide food on my table or care if i have a roof over my head. Hell, most of the time they don't even care if they lose given their behavior after the game. There's more to life then worrying about a some over paid millionaires kicking a conveyance around for a couple of hours. Sure its nice if my team wins, and slightly disappointing if they lose due to the tribal factor but nah i don't get emotionally invested at all anymore. Five minutes later im done.

quick if I attack the grammar then I can probably get away with avoiding the point raised. No one will see this obvious deflection.

It was just the only thing in your stupid post worth highlighting.

I don't tell you how to follow your club... I don't know you or anything about you, so I wouldn't pretend to be able to judge you.

It was just the only thing in your stupid post worth highlighting.

I don't tell you how to follow your club... I don't know you or anything about you, so I wouldn't pretend to be able to judge you.
Systematic team wide drug cheating doesn’t make you even consider the possibility of dumping your membership? Surely you would at least consider it? If you don’t even consider it then you are saying it’s ok. I don’t care if my team cheats with drugs. This wasn’t a couple of players. It’s was the entire team and coaches. it was the whole club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back