Post - loss clarity. Do some of us get TOO emotional?

Remove this Banner Ad

Showing my age a bit here but:

Teenage Coach Required : Losing ruined my weekend, would often go through all the missed opportunities and work out whether we could have won or lost by less.

20's Coach Required: Would be livid after the game and often sulk for the rest of the day

30's Coach Required: Disappointed but wouldnt have expected anything else, got used to being disappointed so it became a bit of a joke

40's Coach Required: Disappointed after the game but 30 mins later accept it is what it is no point wasting time on the uncontrollable

I think it also depends on a couple of things, your age for starters and also where your club is at TBH, if they haven't tasted success in a long time then you get a bit more emotional about it especially if they start to look good, if they constantly lose you get used to it so you appreciated the wins more. If they are winning all the time one or 2 losses doesnt matter because you know they will still perform most of the time. (Finals are a different kettle of fish once you make it, you want that win so badly).

Last edited:
I definitely don’t get as upset after losses - lots of practice lately but also as I getter older and as the competition becomes more ‘corporatised’ I’m just not as emotionally invested.

BF is a special place though. The way some people carry on during and after games is hilarious. The same culprits you see bragging, trolling and baiting before and after games and then go missing for days when they lose. That’s really invested! My favourite is the ‘living rent free in your head’ retort - if you’re on a thread about another team posting relentlessly then aren’t you the one who’s been sucked in??

Some losses hurt more than others.

5 years later and Sydney supporters are still checking into the 2016 salt mine on a daily basis.

I only care if the Kangaroos underperform when I've bet on them to win (which is rare these days).

And even then, I barely care. It is just footy. A way to pass the time.

In my life I’ve been to about 15 Eagles games, and we only won 2 of them (by less than a kick). That personal experience of an away Eagle runs counter to our fortunate history and usually keeps me in check. Cattery? SCG? Cold & wet soft fades? 2008-09 Demons at the ‘G? Historical bogeys like Essendon? GF losses? You gotta hold on to stuff like that in a healthy way to put future losses in perspective. I’ve never been able to attend a game live expecting to win.

I guess for some people, footy is literally their whole life, it revolves around the game. Things may not be great for said people in their lives so footy acts as an escape from the pressures of real life for them. And from there you get those varying reactions.

Ever since I had kids I've never been upset by a loss. They just mellowed me out.

Now Dees are on top and my mates and colleagues are saying to me "you must be happy as a pig in s**t". I'm like "Yeah cool".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Of course people get too emotional.

You're watching a bunch of millionaires run around playing a game. It has absolutely no meaningful consequences in your life. The connection is entirely imagined - the club might know your name as long as you give them money, but the players have no clue who you are and don't care. And I'm not saying that to dump on the players, how are they meant to care?

I still love it, but you gotta keep it in perspective. It's a part of growing up and becoming an adult - not letting the results of a game determine your emotional state.

Don't pour your identity into a football club.
Amen.

I hate it when my team loses, even after back to back premierships it still feels the same as it did during 37 years of failing. I love listening to all the radio show podcasts and footy shows after a win but have no interest in footy for at least a day after a loss, the passion slowly comes back by the time the next round comes about. It’s kind of a shitty way to approach it, but I’d need extensive therapy to change now.

I love being emotionally invested in my club with my family, it‘s common ground, reminds us of our roots in Perth and also fun and entertaining to have rivalries and banter. Losing a GF genuinely hurts and that’s part of following your club.
However people who get angry, abusive, violent and genuinely hateful over ANY game of sport need to take a long hard look at themselves and their priorities. It’s a game.

Getting older (40s) and winning a few flags recently has certainly mellowed me out. Although I did consciously lower my expectations to zero around 2007, I was losing my s**t a bit too often after losses.
I was pissed off last week after the Geelong game. First time in quite a while, and I was surprised. I didn't let it show to my family or friends though. But I was still annoyed the next day.

I think I would rather some fans rant and rave than sulk.
As an example, my Eagles mate who is 45 didn't attend a BBQ with a heap of mates and family, because the Eagles lost that day. He stayed home and sulked.
That is absolutely weak as piss.

Used to ruin my weekend when I was a teenager if the Roos lost. I'm more relaxed how, but mostly because I can't expect a lot from North at the moment. When we come good I might get some fire in my belly about footy again.

Getting older (40s) and winning a few flags recently has certainly mellowed me out. Although I did consciously lower my expectations to zero around 2007, I was losing my sh*t a bit too often after losses.
I was pissed off last week after the Geelong game. First time in quite a while, and I was surprised. I didn't let it show to my family or friends though. But I was still annoyed the next day.

I think I would rather some fans rant and rave than sulk.
As an example, my Eagles mate who is 45 didn't attend a BBQ with a heap of mates and family, because the Eagles lost that day. He stayed home and sulked.
That is absolutely weak as piss.
Jesus, how embarassing for him! 45 ! lol.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back