Rumour Post match club meeting

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 9, 2010
Essendon
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Leicester City
If Herald sun is indeed correct about what they're saying and not spitting s**t as they normally would.

Eddie McGuire was visibly pissed off after the game in the change rooms (i'd bloody hope so) and Gary Pert held talks for a "long time" with the coaches and staff.

Herald Sun approached Eddie and Eddie "refused to comment" telling the Herald Sun "to stay away".

If this is indeed true what could it have been about (where do we start?) and what does this mean for Buckley's tenure as coach?

Nathan Buckley says Collingwood frustrated after ‘getting a lot right’ and still losing
Sam Edmund, Herald Sun
April 25, 2017 8:19pm
COLLINGWOOD’S season has plummeted to new lows after a disastrous loss to Essendon heaped more pressure on besieged coach Nathan Buckley.

Buckley, who last year said there was “no way” he could keep his job if the Pies again missed finals, declared his faltering side “not far off, but we’re a mile off”.

Now 1-4, Collingwood has just five days to gather itself before facing an undefeated Geelong back at the MCG.

MATCH REPORT: WHAT WALL? BOMBERS PUNISH MAGPIES

MARK ROBINSON: THIS JUST GOT A LOT WORSE FOR BUCKS

DAVID KING: “FROM NOW, IT’S ABOUT MANAGING BUCKS’ EXIT”

“There’s not a lot of time for feeling, mate. We’ve got to dust ourselves off and get going pretty quickly into Geelong,” Buckley said.

“There’s a little bit of frustration because there’s some hard work being done and there’s a lot that we are getting right.

“We get back to work, we’ve got to get back on the horse quick. Those margins are not big, but they’re significant.

0afc4cc34b572d5fa8fb586466751188

Collingwood coach Nathan Buckley chats to captain Scott Pendlebury after the game. Picture: Wayne Ludbey
“I still see that will to win in our players, but we’re not getting over the line.”

Collingwood president Eddie McGuire was visibly angry in the rooms, while chief executive Gary Pert spent a long time talking to coaches and staff.

McGuire refused to comment, telling the Herald Sun: “Stay out of the way”.

cf4fd8551cb63d8c30611796e15e3bef

In a Groundhog Day showing, the Magpies had 23 more inside 50s but again butchered the ball going forward and in front of goal, kicking 11.16 including 2.8 from set shots.

The Pies have now kicked 12.14, 11.14, 11.14, 7.13 and 11.16 and have yet to score more than 86 points in five rounds of football.

“There’s growth in us, but wow, if we just take advantage of 10 per cent more of our entries and we defend a couple of per cent better we win those games by two or three goals,” Buckley said of the Pies’ four losses.

7af0e5a5b29e25715f2ad53073d9eff2

Alex Fasolo has been out of form in front of goal.
“We’ll keep asking ourselves the right questions ... and we’ll keep finding that will to want to perform and win.”

Scott Pendlebury was again quiet, but denied he was carrying an injury. He said the reason behind’s the team’s malaise was simple.

“I think it’s just a lack of skill,” Pendlebury said.

“We’re either rushing or not executing or picking the wrong options or going for the kick that’s not there.

89efe76f4c20e2083a55795d727d352a

“We’re working on the stuff that’s killing us, but it’s not happening quick enough. We had 66 inside 50s ... we’ve got to capitalise and if you don’t it comes back to hurt you.”

Daniel Wells showed his class in his Collingwood debut, Jeremy Howe continued his rich vein of form and Jamie Elliott showed signs, but there was little else to like.

Buckley said it looked like Alex Fasolo (1.3) had the yips and admitted Pendlebury would be hurting over his form slump. Aside from Jordan de Goey the list is injury free.

In his sixth season in charge, Buckley has steered the Pies to 16, 14, 11, 10, and nine-win seasons.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...g/news-story/c467d33770ba22509e767b31631a2bc7

Lol this s**t is going to be on the back cover of the paper for the whole week. When we get scrutinised by the papers usually we win the week after and shut their traps.

Lol this s**t is going to be on the back cover of the paper for the whole week. When we get scrutinised by the papers usually we win the week after and shut their traps.

I thought we were going to beat Geelong before this week. Now? We'll definitely beat them. If I was a Geelong supporter I'd be spewing about all this negative attention we're getting.

But yep, it'll merely be delaying the inevitable. But losing to Carlton the week after should get the job done.

If Herald sun is indeed correct about what they're saying and not spitting s**t as they normally would.

Eddie McGuire was visibly pissed off after the game in the change rooms (i'd bloody hope so) and Gary Pert held talks for a "long time" with the coaches and staff.

Herald Sun approached Eddie and Eddie "refused to comment" telling the Herald Sun "to stay away".

If this is indeed true what could it have been about (where do we start?) and what does this mean for Buckley's tenure as coach?
This is the best thing to take from the article. We need to focus internally to regroup and be insular in our focus, talk is cheap and I'd rather we said nothing to the media this week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe Eddie's had an epiphany and finally realised he ballsed up the coaching transition by installing a favourite son with precious little coaching experience and in the process weakened his own position.
If Eddie thinks it's now Bucks or me.... clearly it will be Bucks.

That was player driven wasn't it?

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/how-geelong-turned-the-corner-20160520-gp05om.html

The Cats had entered season 2006 with high hopes having narrowly lost the previous year's semi-final to Sydney and won the pre-season premiership. But after opening the season with two big wins the wheels fell off and, as Geelong lost seven of its next eight games, divisions began to emerge between frustrated players and between the coaches and the fitness department.

In 2006 the Cats chief enlisted just one outside consultant – his old coach David Parkin – and spent the best part of 60 days interviewing close to 60 club stakeholders ranging from first-year players to coaches to player agents. Nineteen of 20 recommendations Cook put to the board were accepted.

The view of the senior players was that if the CEO was prepared to get his hands dirty on the factory floor then the least they could do was speak truthfully. Adamant that Thompson was the right coach, the players were equally adamant that he had become distracted from coaching by a football bureaucratic thicket including list management, fitness, recruiting and IT.

The players themselves, whom Cook believed were good enough and age appropriate to win a premiership, were angry at their lack of success.

Despairing at the stand-off between the coaching and high-performance teams and concerned at poor behavioural standards within their own group, they spoke more frankly than ever before to Cook and each other.

One pivotal meeting at a player's house led to Matthew Scarlett calling journalist Mike Sheahan in a bid to save Thompson's job. And in what was a radical call at the time Tom Harley replaced Steven King as captain. The leadership group rewrote its brief and set itself new on and off-field standards, famously suspending Steve Johnson for the first six rounds of the 2007 season.

The Cook recommendations were ratified at a board meeting during 2006 preliminary final weekend and immediately unveiled on an individual basis to senior football media – in the company of an uncomfortable Mark Thompson – at Princes Park on the Sunday of the VFL grand final.

Harley reportedly arrived at King's house to drive him to the game only to be asked to wait outside while the ruckman and 2006 captain took a phone call. King then walked out to the waiting Harley, shook his hand and congratulated him.

While Thompson survived and went on to coach two premierships over the next three years he remained bitter at being so publicly scrutinised.

Several key personnel lost their jobs with assistant coach Andy Lovell making way for Brenton Sanderson and Paul Haines and Dean Robinson taking over the Cats' high-performance department.

And Cook could not save football operations boss Garry Davidson despite pushing for him to retain a role at the club, with Neil Balme taking over the top football job. It speaks volumes for all concerned, though, that on the eve of the 2007 grand final Cook, Davidson and Balme dined together over lunch.

The timing was right for Geelong to recalibrate their football operation. First-round draft pick Joel Selwood immediately became a regular senior player and matured as an on-field leader seemingly overnight while more experienced stars Scarlett and Cameron Mooney became fathers and matured accordingly. And the players' internal review of themselves provided a pivotal cultural change.

Maybe Eddie's had an epiphany and finally realised he ballsed up the coaching transition by installing a favourite son with precious little coaching experience and in the process weakened his own position.
If Eddie thinks it's now Bucks or me.... clearly it will be Bucks.

Unfortunately having listened to Eddie on triple M this morning he's still got his head firmly buried in the sand.

He was crapping on for far too long about the side by side culture and that we never turn on our own crap. Talking up Buckley saying he'd want no other person in charge of the club when its in this position etc. I was cringing non stop throughout his performance and was actually pretty uncomfortable with the way he went about it this morning. He was asked simple questions about Bucks' coaching and bringing up Buckleys comments about how if we don't make finals he can't be coach and Ed specifically said "we can take that off the table"

So I mean - the board had a chat but turns out it was more about managing finances because we're now looking at less bums on seats. That's what I took from what he said anyway.

Unfortunately having listened to Eddie on triple M this morning he's still got his head firmly buried in the sand.

He was crapping on for far too long about the side by side culture and that we never turn on our own crap. Talking up Buckley saying he'd want no other person in charge of the club when its in this position etc. I was cringing non stop throughout his performance and was actually pretty uncomfortable with the way he went about it this morning. He was asked simple questions about Bucks' coaching and bringing up Buckleys comments about how if we don't make finals he can't be coach and Ed specifically said "we can take that off the table"

So I mean - the board had a chat but turns out it was more about managing finances because we're now looking at less bums on seats. That's what I took from what he said anyway.

that's disappointing to hear, but not unexpected.

I thought we were going to beat Geelong before this week. Now? We'll definitely beat them. If I was a Geelong supporter I'd be spewing about all this negative attention we're getting.

But yep, it'll merely be delaying the inevitable. But losing to Carlton the week after should get the job done.

Agreed. If Bucks is still alive going in to the Geelong game, a fair loss won't get the job done. Maybe a blowout? But lose to the Blues and Bucks is toasters!

He will get the message when we have the lowest crowd figures ever for the rest of the season

Take it with a grain of salt. Eddie isn't stupid enough to air dirty laundry on the radio, the "managing finances" line for that meeting is a cover if ever I heard one. You don't have a meeting about crowd sizes after playing in front of a packed MCG.

Publicly, Ed will back all and sundry at the club because that's what he needs to do. Privately I'm pretty sure he'll be planning for heads to roll.

Take it with a grain of salt. Eddie isn't stupid enough to air dirty laundry on the radio, the "managing finances" line for that meeting is a cover if ever I heard one. You don't have a meeting about crowd sizes after playing in front of a packed MCG.

Publicly, Ed will back all and sundry at the club because that's what he needs to do. Privately I'm pretty sure he'll be planning for heads to roll.

Yep. Happened in 99 and will happen here.

Publicly, he was 100% behind Shaw until the end of his contract. Ed has always been a firm believer in contracts and even when Assistants left he was publicly not happy about it but said "he would never stand in the way" of someone wanting out.

But Ed has never let anyone go who was still under contract and won't start now. Bucks WILL be there until the end of the season unless he falls on his own sword. But make no mistake, the new coach is being organised as we speak.

Eddie must go, he is the problem here, this was his decision, he's the one who's been vocal about the Buckley plan and stringing along members for this long now to no avail.

We're stuck with Ed until a ticket runs against him.

But I can tell you now, if an even remotely competent group steps forward, no way Ed survives. Problem is, our club doesn't seem to generate the same passion others do anymore.

I mean, Craig Kelly would be a TERRIBLE president and then who else is there? Waislitz? That's basically like having Eddie Mk.II except with ties to CARLTON!

I think the only way forward now is to put people in place who have nothing to do with Collingwood. I don't really see any other way. History has shown that focusing on keeping everything "to our own" doesn't work out well.

NO BETTER PERSON THAN BUCKS'

COLLINGWOOD president Eddie McGuire says the club will continue to stick by coach Nathan Buckley in the wake of yesterday’s “devastating” loss to Essendon.

Declaring the Magpies “don’t get spooked by headlines”, McGuire said players went about the Anzac Day loss in “an honourable way” but Collingwood’s spirit would be put to the test against an unbeaten Geelong on Sunday.

“No one turned their toes up yesterday but we just got done in the end,” McGuire said on Triple M.

“So it is a tough time, I didn’t expect to come out this morning and talk like this but you get asked the question and that’s the response because that’s what it’s all about in footy. You either stand up or get out. And our time is to stand up now because we owe our supporters. We really do.”

McGuire said there was “no better person” than Buckley to lead the club and his work over recent months had been exceptional despite the 1-4 start to the season.

“Every time I’ve looked for Nathan Buckley as a player, as a person, as a coach he has never let me or the Collingwood Football Club down,” he said.

“Any time he has been required to step to the line he steps, and he steps forward before you even ask him to.

“There has been no greater servant of the Collingwood Football Club. There is no better person to have our club’s future in his hands than Nathan Buckley. He will do whatever he’s required to the best of his ability. Now the results will come and the results will be decided upon and action will be taken because no person, whether it is the president or the coach or a player or anybody is bigger than the club.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back