Autopsy Post-Match Fremantle Vs Sydney Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Exactly, so why would you bother.
Because there are games which are truly ruined by umpires, and there are games which are close and umpires make blues both ways that don't effect the outcome. I've been furious after a win when the Swans have been caned by the umps, and I've seen us lose and gone meh, we deserved it.

You weren't the better side on the day, which is just the way it was.

Because there are games which are truly ruined by umpires, and there are games which are close and umpires make blues both ways that don't effect the outcome. I've been furious after a win when the Swans have been caned by the umps, and I've seen us lose and gone meh, we deserved it.

We weren't the better team on the day and we gave away a lot of unnecessary free kicks. But there is still no doubt in my mind that the rules were not governed evenly on the day and that this is the worse year i can recall for umpiring in general. The interpretation changes from umpire to umpire, quarter to quarter, player to player, week to week.

We weren't the better team on the day and we gave away a lot of unnecessary free kicks. But there is still no doubt in my mind that the rules were not governed evenly on the day and that this is the worse year i can recall for umpiring in general. The interpretation changes from umpire to umpire, quarter to quarter, player to player, week to week.
We are in 100% agreement on the problems with regard to umpiring in general. Their job is made stupidly difficult by the people who run the game and who constantly change and tinker with the rules. It's frustrating for us all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are in 100% agreement on the problems with regard to umpiring in general. Their job is made stupidly difficult by the people who run the game and who constantly change and tinker with the rules. It's frustrating for us all.
Are you from Sydney or are you a blow in from an AFL state?

this is the worse year i can recall for umpiring in general. The interpretation changes from umpire to umpire, quarter to quarter, player to player, week to week.

Is it bad that I kind miss the way the Giesch told his maggots to let it go in finals. Like you, I don't remember getting this frustrated or confused about decisions in previous years.

Yeah, I personally think you're close to the mark. I think most neutrals would say you got the rub of the green, made to look worse because of the number of free kicks in your fwd 50 which are killers. But really, I didn't think it was as bad as we've had and certainly it wasn't so criminally bad that it cost us the game.

The worst for us was the Carlton game which we won and the Geelong game which we narrowly lost, they were truly deplorable. No way this game was in that category.

Still, that doesn't say much for the standard of officiating we've had to put up with. For a big final, that was still s**t house and completely inconsistent umpiring.

Defence wasn't the issue.

Midfield
- The inside mids all got a lot of the ball but impacted the game very little.
- Neale and Barlow's disposals were average at best.
- Hill got tagged out of the game and had very little impact, we must have a plan B for him when he gets the hard tag. As others have said play him in the hbf position.
- Pearce played his worst game for the season. I've defender him previously saying we need to take the good with the bad. But geez that was bad and it cost us because we couldn't spread well out of the clearances. Maybe Suban takes his spot.
- Crowley was useless, Don't know what RTB was thinking but it evidently didn't work. He should either be putting on a hard tag on their best mid or not playing at all.
- Mundy had another s**t first half.
- Hill/Pearce - When both of these guys have a rubbish game it really shows. We struggled to move the ball forward out of the clearances and they didn't provide any line breaking runs. If I had to point out one thing that cost us the game it was these two players and their inability to impact the game.
- Clarke, what a useless campaigner. Still reckon he will be our main ruckman when Sandi leaves but he is ******* useless at pretty much everything else. I would drop him for another midfielder. What we lose in height would be covered by having a football player who actually provides effort.

Forwards
- Structures fell to poop.
- Tabs struggled big time and by the third quarter the Swans stopped worrying about him and started doubling up on Pav. He'll be better for the experience and I reckon we should keep him in the team.
- Ballas may as well not even been out there. Just seen the report that he broke his jaw so may miss this week. Crozier to take his spot and Duffy to sub maybe.
- Walters didn't do much for the first three quarters so he started moving up the ground further screwing up our forward structure. How many times did we break free only to see no one in the F50.
- Mayne threatened but never really got going and had a fairly poor game I thought.

Overall I just didn't see our intensity, our structures up forward fell apart because of Tabs' poor game and because our forwards started going in the middle to get the ball, but as Ross said we lost because our mids failed.

Positives
Pav
Mzungu
Defence

What an odd question. Ask it of yourself, then tell me how you go with the response.
No. Its just that everybody says that if Sydney start losing games, the supporters will drop off and the AFL will lose its tentative foothold in the fickle Sydney AFL market. Do you think that is true. Although I know you can't speak for all Sydney supporters.

What an odd question. Ask it of yourself, then tell me how you go with the response.

It's a legitimate question. The AFL seems to believe you would, which is why Sydney gets the preferential treatment it gets. The AFL considers you guys fickle enough that if the Swans spent an extended period at the bottom of the ladder, you would all go back to watching NRL. Hence "cost of living" allowance to live in a city that is less expensive than Perth.

No. Its just that everybody says that if Sydney start losing games, the supporters will drop off and the AFL will lose its tentative foothold in the fickle Sydney AFL market. Do you think that is true. Although I know you can't speak for all Sydney supporters.
The Swans have a very welded on group that probably hasn't changed that much over the last ten years, it grows a bit during very good times (after 96, 03-06, etc) and dips a bit during less successful times...It's hard to be too precise about any fan base, and after 10 finals series in 11 years or whatever it is, it kind of feels quite consistent I guess. There were times during the changover period as Kelly left and Eade's gameplan started to falter etc that the knives came out a bit, but that happens at every club. In short, who knows...same with any club.

For me, it's the only game to watch, by far the best live football specactle I've ever been to, way better IMO than baseball, gridiron (nearly fell asleep in both of those live) and more goals than an EPL game.

AFL .... daylight... league.

Took my 7 year old to his second game yesterday, he went nuts, had the time of his life. I never got to grow up with AFL, nor play it as a kid, but he will have both.

The Swans have a very welded on group that probably hasn't changed that much over the last ten years, it grows a bit during very good times (after 96, 03-06, etc) and dips a bit during less successful times...It's hard to be too precise about any fan base, and after 10 finals series in 11 years or whatever it is, it kind of feels quite consistent I guess. There were times during the changover period as Kelly left and Eade's gameplan started to falter etc that the knives came out a bit, but that happens at every club. In short, who knows...same with any club.

For me, it's the only game to watch, by far the best live football specactle I've ever been to, way better IMO than baseball, gridiron (nearly fell asleep in both of those live) and more goals than an EPL game.

AFL .... daylight... league.

Took my 7 year old to his second game yesterday, he went nuts, had the time of his life. I never got to grow up with AFL, nor play it as a kid, but he will have both.
Music:thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back