Analysis Post Match Thread - Pies 67 def by Eagles 102 - Rd 17 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

The eagles must have played badly then. 2nd team on the ladder with pretty much a full team and they could only beat the poor Pies by 35 points.

You don't get what I meant. Yes Start of the Season I said Bottom 4 but I see us now as a Real Finals Chance

People can make negative comments without adding colourful over the top descriptors like "disgraced". Not 1 player disgraced themselves. A few had off days.
Well you know, a lot of ppl can't take what they dish out.

Like me for example, I can tell someone they can't take what they dish out, but may go ballistic if someone tells me "you don't mind telling someone they can't take what they dish out, but you crack the sh**s if someone tells you you can't take it if someone tells you that you can't take what you dish out about them not being able to take what they dish out".... or something like that....

Last edited:

He’s certainly a better ruckman than young Darcy...
But Darcy has proved surpisingly handy even in his skinnier days. Probably should have been swung around moore in retrospect but they were prob trying to keep it simple and focused on defence for his comeback and also being conservative with his comeback because ruck is more running and is more physically demanding and attack probably yo take more punishment from gorilla defenders, so I don't have a big problem with it even if it would have saved the game which I guess is possible.
I mean imagine if he'd done his hammy again running in the ruck, the board would have been just about calling for Buck's scalp again.

Players fell into trap, mids didn't work hard enough to help out defenders - looked like the way we played last year.

Ball was going in too easily in their forward line. Either coaches fell asleep or didn't have enough options to counteract although as I mentioned, moving Sidebottom forward and Mihocek back would have been two that could have been tried.

Would have thought they would have learned from the Haw/Cats game although not going to lose hope as even just a Treloar and a Dunn there I believe would have made a difference. Next week will tell me more, I hope.
Occasionally you read something on a forum that is smarter than what the real coaches tried, yeah I'd like to have more of a radical coach that sometimes throws things around radically like a Barrassi or Sheedy in their day - but you can't have everything, Buckley has been excellent this year. Going for more of a settled side I guess but sometimes when side is losing and getting deflated, it gives them a fresh start in the game.

Occasionally you read something on a forum that is smarter than what the real coaches tried, yeah I'd like to have more of a radical coach that sometimes throws things around radically like a Barrassi or Sheedy in their day - but you can't have everything, Buckley has been excellent this year. Going for more of a settled side I guess but sometimes when side is losing and getting deflated, it gives them a fresh start in the game.
My post was just an opinion and of course easier to comment on after the game and not privy to all information.

Haven’t watched the replay yet but saw a short video on the treatment or close attention paid to Sidebottom, they really did their homework on him and was subject to a couple of bone crunching double tackles. Reckon he ended up quite sore after the game.

Haven’t given up hope of being there in September yet.

Had a read through your match day thread and some of this one.

Not all doom and gloom for your lot by any stretch. Losing Cox late hurt your structures and allowed Gov to play with a lot more freedom. Kennedy, Darling and Lecras had more impact first game back than I dared to hope - their forward pressure was really up and was where I was worried they wouldn't perform.

You had us on the ropes early, just like Essendon did but couldn't land enough solid punches to knock us out of the game.

Good luck in the next few weeks, hopefully you get some cattle back ASAP.

Not all doom and gloom for your lot by any stretch. Losing Cox late hurt your structures and allowed Gov to play with a lot more freedom. Kennedy, Darling and Lecras had more impact first game back than I dared to hope - their forward pressure was really up and was where I was worried they wouldn't perform.

You had us on the ropes early, just like Essendon did but couldn't land enough solid punches to knock us out of the game.

Yeah gutsy move on the part of your selectors to roll the dice on all three. Kennedy in particular looked buggered at the end of the game. Imagine the reaction if WC had gone down. Very bad luck about Nic but I have a feeling you’ve got his absence covered...

and You where Dead Eye Dick's in Front of Goal kept you in it Early

Hopefully you guys can really challenge for the flag. It's not gonna be us, and you just might have the structure and talent in the right places to take it away from Richmond. The win at the G will be great for your confidence too.

We in Melbourne DO NOT need another Tiger's flag, so please help us out here.:mad:

Hello again everyone, been away for a week from BF on R&R for a city weekend trip in Melbs with my mates................ and went to the game albiet a bit dusty.

This is my take from the game:

When we lost Cox we lost structure in D50 and F50, McGover, Hurn, JK and Hearn took us to school, in the big picture the injuries have to come to the "break the camel's back" point.

The continuity has reached breaking point as a result, hence what we saw on Sunday. Fumbly in the phone box (our trade mark this year), wc were able to get their transition game going hence we weren't able to apply our manic pressure (our trade mark this year).

They took away our big guns in those two (pressure and clean hands inside), and lacking talls wc just marked everything that went inside either arc.

I'd argue if we had Cox to play his role like he did against the dons we'd win or go close.

I can't see us gelling together quick enough to challenge North on Saturday I'm afraid, although wc did with JK, Darling and Lecca - they took a gamble and it paid off for them. They don't come in and we win - and probably well.

Hopefully the selection committee don't make too many changes, preferably only Cox in for maybe Crocker out.

We need 2 more wins to make finals at a guess, we won't win a lot from here - the injuries have caused the breakdown in continuity and it showed on the weekend and there probably is not enough games left to get the squad gelling together to really challenge.

Think the panel will have other ideas and that's good, the positive is we have - injured - depth that will see us contend next year. Clean up the soft tissue jobs and we will.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back