Analysis Post Match Thread - Pies 67 def by Eagles 102 - Rd 17 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

I wasn’t surprised that we lost. We didn’t have our first choice Key forward & first choice Key defender.

Any team without those players would lose more games than they would win, especially against quality opposition.

Eg:
Richmond : Riewoldt & Rance out
WCE : Kennedy & Mcgovern out
Port : Dixon & Jonas out
Sydney : Buddy & Grundy out
Dees : Hogan & McDonald out
Giants : Cameron & Davis out
Cats : Hawkins & Lonergan

This game was very similar to the way Hawthorn played us in round 1.

Interesting that Simpson knows the Hawthorn way.

Definitely beaten by the better team today but our most disappointing performance since round 1 IMO.

The master of the so called hawthorn way

Now coaches the lions

They don't seem to have a problem with it

I think after 7 wins in a row the coaches showed a bit too much faith

WHE shouldn't have played
Crocker wtf
Daicos needs a stint in the vfl and for those who despair don't

No cox no structure

No Appleby ( missed , perfect for rioli , best 1 on 1 defender)

Biased umpires and bullied in the contested marks

We're far to light down back

Fortunate its our a hills heal and there's only 1 team that plays big forward

We played em yesterday

Oh and how's the mark paid to Kennedy when shaz was in front , the mark of jack I don't infringe with my hands riewoldt and the daisy flanger Friday night

Disgrace

11 disposals and very little influence.

That snap "right in front of me" that didn't make the distance from 30 metres. :eek:

I turned to my boys and said his dad would never have missed that.

Time for a spell for Josh I am afraid.

That snap "right in front of me" that didn't make the distance from 30 metres. :eek:

I wasn't far from that. Did you hear a foghorn nearby bellow something along the lines of, 'FFS Daicos, give it some LIFT!!!' That might have been me...

Realistically, need to replace Crocker and Daicos, both not ready for AFL, and you can't carry 2 players against sides like WC. It shouldn't be too long with Cox replacing one and hopefully Elliott/Aish the other in the near future.
Varcoe was very poor, but was his first game back into a high pressure game, so willing to give him another chance.

Was probably forced by WC particularly in the second half, but we are always going to struggle when senior players have average games and are unable to carry the bottom 18-22 in the side. Although, I thought we played well at the start, a dropped mark early in the goalsquare would have put us 4 goals up very early, and had we capitalised on our opportunities in the first half, particularly in the first quarter, the game could have been very different with WC having to fight back from a 5-6 goal margin rather than a 3 goal margin. I think we were due for a loss and haven't played our best in the last 4 weeks with only patches getting us over the line against bottom dwellers in Carlton and GC, however there's a bit that can be taken from the game in terms of making the most of opportunities when dominated the game. As soon as WC got on top, they put on a game winning lead, which we were unable to do.

Josh is perilous now and very shaky to keep his spot.

He does carry the name so like other sons of greats it can be a burden of sorts.

Paul Tuddenham was a bit like that.

Unsure where Josh fits overall but could be headed for a VFL freshener.

He does carry the name so like other sons of greats it can be a burden of sorts.

Needs another preseason or two.

He will definitely make it but its time for a rest...….reward Brown who went back and is playing solid footy in the seconds.

He’s not shaky, and he’s only big footy slow.
Go to a live game, he generally does the business.
Gets to the ball, judges well, has poise x 100.
Also has great skill.
Today wasn’t his day.
Wasn’t many peoples day.
Plus he really is playing on far bigger people.
Best defence starts from mid field / centre pressure.

Saintly I'm a bit concerned with his intensity levels

Well known that lyndons his security blanket

Gee hope he doesn't drop off now

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Played Russian Roulette with McGovern all day and got burnt. Yeah he took some marks but his soul job should have been to prevent McGovern marking in the backline, which he didnt, which went a long way to us not having trust going forward.

When the oppositions Fullback ends up with probably 3 brownlow votes in my opinion that's unacceptable.

A 5 game player kicks 2 goals on one of the best 3 defenders in the league and you call that unacceptable?
I would be happy if Mihochek played "unacceptably" by kicking 2 goals per game every week - which would make him a 46 goal a season player.

we can say time for a spell but who comes in. we are already depleted in his role as it stands we had to play crocker. Callum Brown isn't really a replacement as his more in and under. that leave Blair. we need to persist until Aish / Wells/ Elliott / Fasolo are fit.

A 5 game player kicks 2 goals on one of the best 3 defenders in the league and you call that unacceptable?
I would be happy if Mihochek played "unacceptably" by kicking 2 goals per game every week - which would make him a 46 goal a season player.
agreed our F50 yesterday consistent of WHE playing on one leg, our Key forward and what 190CM 5 gamer. a seemingly tired Stephenson. ( can't be blamed ) and a player that just doesn't cut it at AFL level in Crocker who wouldn't be in the side if we had either Aish / Wells / Elliott / Fasolo or Broomhead fit.

having no Cox didn't just impact our structure up forward and note that McGovern got I think 8 intercept marks to which WC scored direct goals from. if Cox plays take off 4 of those intercept marks and likely 2 of those goals. and then add 2 goals to our side for crumbs. also look at the impact of clearances in the second half because we had no ruck relief for Grundy .

we can say time for a spell but who comes in. we are already depleted in his role as it stands we had to play crocker. Callum Brown isn't really a replacement as his more in and under. that leave Blair. we need to persist until Aish / Wells/ Elliott / Fasolo are fit.

I can guarantee you Elliott would have done more than Crocker these last two weeks.

I like Daicos and he has had a good run but I think Brown deserves another run now.

Injuries have hurt but the other reality for that list is we are unlikely to see any significant contributions from Dunn and Wells in the future and there are doubts around what we will get from Fas and Reid. Aish at this stage is a 18-22 player and easily replaced.

Cox, Treloar and hopefully Elliott are really the only ones from that list that may make a significant difference in the future.

Yes, however, if Cox, Treloar, Elliot, Dunn, Wells, Aish were all fit and playing yesterday, the result may well have been different. Pendles and Sidebottom have really been carrying the load since the break.

I think Josh has done well and has developed nicely, he is clean with his hands at ground level and moves through traffic with the ball nicely. With a bit more experience he will start to realise how much time he actually has with the all and his disposal and kicking will tidy up accordingly.

Yes, however, if Cox, Treloar, Elliot, Dunn, Wells, Aish were all fit and playing yesterday, the result may well have been different. Pendles and Sidebottom have really been carrying the load since the break.
agreed. one think that I was surprised that Bucks didn't send Sidebottom to the Goal square.

After yesterday, I am more concerned about how we counter teams playing "slowly" than our injuries.
My fear is that even with players back we still will be exposed, so we really need to find a way to overcome this game plan.
If we can't, I don't think we get to the next level, regardless of the team we put on the field.

Steele was tagged by Sheppard.

No not really. I think he may have spent a few minutes at the start of the last up the ground and that was it.

Thought it was Hutchings.

Our injury list is always extensive. Consequently my expectations are not high and expect that now the easy games are behind us, and our fill in players are being exposed, we will drop far more game than we win. Players like Scharenberg that had looked classy and reliable now seem ordinary players.

If you showed me the injury list we have at the start of the year I wouldn't have thought we would make finals so for me we have exceeded expectations. However people who truly think we are a top 4 team got a bit ahead of themselves.

We couldn’t stick a tackle either. They were too big and strong. A lot of tackles falling off.

On average, they were nearly 2 years older and 38 games more experienced and it showed.

He might need a new hand as well.

Bring back Murray, with Treloar out we have no burst speed in the middle of the ground to break a line.

Terrible selection to not have a tall on standby if they knew Cox was a possible out. Our disposal into fwd50 wasn’t great but having no target doesn’t help.

They named Oxley.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back