Analysis Post Match Thread - Pies 67 def by Eagles 102 - Rd 17 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree with the DeGoey comment. what i was really perplexed by is why the coaches didnt move degoey into the midfield and free up some of the boys up forward. on the same wavelength, the coaches should have identified the double-teaming on JDG and used this move to play through the corridor and into space for michocek and Stephenson to run onto. these changes were made the week before against the Dons, would have liked to see the same this week.

Shows why I thought Bucks had a Bad Day Coaching

Greenwood was nowhere near the worst!
He did a few very good things.

As a half bank flanker though what's his primary and secondary objective?
To defend and to rebound.

rebounding he simply doesn't do and it's left to Crisp mostly.

He also seems to have a bad case of the fumbles far too readily.

Murray would give us more.

It's why Nathan had to move him out of there in the last term.
He makes our back 6 slower.

The master of the so called hawthorn way

Now coaches the lions

They don't seem to have a problem with it

Are you suggesting that Clarkson isn't the mastermind behind Hawks tactics in his time there and the real puppet master was former melbourne assistant C.Fagan?

Also I don't know if your aware but we struggled to beat Brisbane too.

My concern isn't the loss it was how we dealt with a change in tactics which when employed we had zero answers too. Other poor teams who have used similar tactics have also caused us some headaches.

It was like watching 2 different teams over the 2 halves of footy.

Now given our outs and carrying players not ready/never will be or injured it was probably a unlikely win from the outset. Expectations rose due to the dominance showed in the first half.

After yesterday, I am more concerned about how we counter teams playing "slowly" than our injuries.
My fear is that even with players back we still will be exposed, so we really need to find a way to overcome this game plan.
If we can't, I don't think we get to the next level, regardless of the team we put on the field.

This is exactly what worried me and its not just from WC game. Elements of it from Hawks, Lions Essendon game 2 and Geelong. We need to remember that Clarkson developed the chip and retain style to counter the Collingwood 2010 and 2011 style. Which whilst we play a different version of it there are still similar templates from it ditto Richmonds gameplan.

To do what? cut the oranges?

Im amazed hes still listed.

I didn't say I wanted him picked but he's a tall (193cm) and was named among the emergencies.

Are you suggesting that Clarkson isn't the mastermind behind Hawks tactics in his time there and the real puppet master was former melbourne assistant C.Fagan?

Also I don't know if your aware but we struggled to beat Brisbane too.

My concern isn't the loss it was how we dealt with a change in tactics which when employed we had zero answers too. Other poor teams who have used similar tactics have also caused us some headaches.

It was like watching 2 different teams over the 2 halves of footy.

Now given our outs and carrying players not ready/never will be or injured it was probably a unlikely win from the outset. Expectations rose due to the dominance showed in the first half.

Yep I am suggesting that he , Simpson and Cameron and ratten a fair quality coaching panel and I'm more than aware of the tactic

Fagan was and is clarkson and hodges mentor and danihers
ALL SPEAK HIGHLY, he's the guru

Like our press in 2010 which bucks created and some credited grumpy bum

Like the game plan CARACELLA come up with which covered hard wick in glory

We always have trouble with it and we need to analyse the way they go about it ( Brisbane)

Wanta know why we're going alright

3 new coaching assistants who know what there doing

Lappin , hart, barker

Very funny

You know most players watch NO FOOTY

Experts hardly

We lost. Ok. I'd rather lose this game and have Moore get through unscathed and show us that he is an elite defender... yes his first game back guys going to be a star back there... and have sier already a loss with a corked thigh who looks like some sort of player... have aish faz Elliott coming back plus treloar later in the year...

Then... be in West coast's position where they won but lost ni chat with an acl.

Put it in perspective... would you rather win and have Grundy go down with an acl? * that s**t...

Crossing fingers and toes in a few weeks we wiill have our best listed side this year and that's with treloar still on the mend...

I think West coast won the game but came out much bigger losers after this game

WCE definitely have the game plan to beat teams that play the press (Pies, richmond) and I think they are clear premiership favourite to me. Once WCE take a mark anywhere on the ground you don't even get to contest the ball again until they kick long to their gun forwards. To beat them you really can't allow them any marks at all. They didn't even have barass playing who is every bit as good intercept mark as mcgovern. This stuff about where the game is played is all media hype - WCE will dismantle richmond in a final at the mcg the same as they did in perth and the same they did to us in the second half.

We didn't play too badly at all, and actually did very well to play about half of the game on our terms. I am confident that we have improved and will continue to improve. The lack of KPD is telling, but Moore was very encouraging and as the synergy in the backline improves (backline is all about synergy) we might be better off with Moore than with Dunn in not too long. There was simply no way for us to stem the bleeding when the game was on their terms while we didn't have cox to bring the ball to ground and while the midfield was not winning the ball or forcing errors with pressure, and while we weren't hitting targets in the forward line.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's really an unexpected rough diamond from the never-never so far.
He had 5 shots at goal on a so called defensive beast and kicked 2 goals 3, could easily have kicked 5 on Mcgovern, cant help thinking that if McLarty played instaed of that hack Crocker it would have meant that McGovern would have to be more accountable because their other tall was being taken apart by DeGoey, we lost it at selection

This is exactly what worried me and its not just from WC game. Elements of it from Hawks, Lions Essendon game 2 and Geelong. We need to remember that Clarkson developed the chip and retain style to counter the Collingwood 2010 and 2011 style. Which whilst we play a different version of it there are still similar templates from it ditto Richmonds gameplan.
Players fell into trap, mids didn't work hard enough to help out defenders - looked like the way we played last year.

Ball was going in too easily in their forward line. Either coaches fell asleep or didn't have enough options to counteract although as I mentioned, moving Sidebottom forward and Mihocek back would have been two that could have been tried.

Would have thought they would have learned from the Haw/Cats game although not going to lose hope as even just a Treloar and a Dunn there I believe would have made a difference. Next week will tell me more, I hope.

Players fell into trap, mids didn't work hard enough to help out defenders - looked like the way we played last year.

Ball was going in too easily in their forward line. Either coaches fell asleep or didn't have enough options to counteract although as I mentioned, moving Sidebottom forward and Mihocek back would have been two that could have been tried.

Would have thought they would have learned from the Haw/Cats game although not going to lose hope as even just a Treloar and a Dunn there I believe would have made a difference. Next week will tell me more, I hope.
Agree on Sidebottom forward. Didn't have any impact and was tagged effectively. De Goey was hot yesterday and would have had an impact everywhere and Steele is more than capable of kicking 2 or 3, so it's definitely something they should have tried.

Last edited:
Was a game of two half’s, first half we had many chances to put a good score on the board and did not, let wce in and they took advantage of it like a good team should.
They boys look tied and slow in the second half, not much run, not sure why, but steel did say last week he was running on empty in the second half against the bombers.

Thanks mate for the nice words. The Eagles are onto something good this year and in my mind are the Tigers biggest threat. I think it's fair to say that the MCG is no longer a problem for you guys. You played it beautifully today. Anyway best of luck to the Eagles for the remainder of the year and who knows we might just bump into you guys again in September.;)
Hi all same wanted to say it was a good game, really bummed i did not get to see Treloar play live he is a treat to watch in full flight just so explosive. Once he, Cox, Elliot and Aish are back it will be awesome. You had 3 of your spine players missing (Cox, Treloar and Dunn). You guys will finish top 4 from what i have seen and can go deep into September.

Hi all same wanted to say it was a good game, really bummed i did not get to see Treloar play live he is a treat to watch in full flight just so explosive. Once he, Cox, Elliot and Aish are back it will be awesome. You had 3 of your spine players missing (Cox, Treloar and Dunn). You guys will finish top 4 from what i have seen and can go deep into September.
* off muppet!

... hang on, wait. Were you... pleasant?

**** off muppet!

... hang on, wait. Were you... pleasant?
Yeah man i am not a troller that stuff is for mugs reserve for arrogant Geelong and Richmond supporters. You guys are a really good team but just missing a few guns. Guys like Treloar, Cox, Elliot and Dunn are not easy to replace as we found with Kennedy and Darling. Also watching Jordan Degoey WOW man is a jet

We lost. Ok. I'd rather lose this game and have Moore get through unscathed and show us that he is an elite defender... yes his first game back guys going to be a star back there... and have sier already a loss with a corked thigh who looks like some sort of player... have aish faz Elliott coming back plus treloar later in the year...

Then... be in West coast's position where they won but lost ni chat with an acl.

Put it in perspective... would you rather win and have Grundy go down with an acl? **** that s**t...

Crossing fingers and toes in a few weeks we wiill have our best listed side this year and that's with treloar still on the mend...

I think West coast won the game but came out much bigger losers after this game

Cox go in Ruck and Moore Goes Forward but They would not have big impact that Grundy has Made

Cox go in Ruck and Moore Goes Forward but They would not have big impact that Grundy has Made
I think Cox probably stays forward and Moore goes into the ruck.

To be honest I think Cox is superior in both positions.

I had us Bottom 4 but I changed that expectations at Half way thru the Season.

It's how we lost. Was like watching us play last year absolute Terribly
The eagles must have played badly then. 2nd team on the ladder with pretty much a full team and they could only beat the poor Pies by 35 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back