Post mortem of Australian cricket

Remove this Banner Ad

What? That was my point to drop out of form players especially if they are 2 of your front line bowlers but we carried them for the entire series so the selectors and Langer got what they deserved.

So after playing a reasonably crucial role in the first test with 4 wickets they should have dropped Starc at what point?
Who are these magic replacements that are going to come in?

Cheteshwar Pujara can wear no less than 12 blows to head, body and hands on his way to a vital fourth Test knock from Pat Cummins but Michael Neser is going to scare him witless?

So after playing a reasonably crucial role in the first test with 4 wickets they should have dropped Starc at what point?
Who are these magic replacements that are going to come in?

Cheteshwar Pujara can wear no less than 12 blows to head, body and hands on his way to a vital fourth Test knock from Pat Cummins but Michael Neser is going to scare him witless?
After the MCG or at worst after the SCG, Neser might not go for 20 runs.

After the MCG or at worst after the SCG, Neser might not go for 20 runs.

The 20 runs didn't cost Australia the Test. Pant hit Lyon out of the ground a ball after a delivery spun five feet out of the rough. Pretty sure if he wanted to make up those runs he could have.

Me personally? Yeah I would have thought about resting Starc. As surely as they do that and someone comes in and takes 1-120, and people stamp their feet and say "why did we discard someone with 200+ wickets and an average in the 20s and a good strike rate for this potato?"

Australia needs to start preparing green tops ASAP! Weather or not the Australian batsmen can survive should be the secondary question. The most pertinent question we should be asking ourselves is, 'How can we take 20 wickets?'.
People seem to forget, that this Indian team struggles big time on seaming wickets, which was clearly evident on a recent tour of NZ.

I won't be holding my breath, though!

Langer's post match press is embarrassing to say the least. His team just lost a very winnable series and he is busy in pandering to the Indian audience.
Whenever he steps in front of the media its a joke. He gives a whole heap of fluff which the interviewer hasn't asked for. It's like a school kid filling out their class presentation with jibberish BS just to get to the minimum time allocation.

We need to drop Wade for Khawaja or another proper batsman.
I wouldn't mind playing 2 spinners and dropping Stark on spinning wickets.

By the same token what about playing 4 quicks for pitches that offer little for the spinner ?
We need to drop Wade for Khawaja or another proper batsman.
I wouldn't mind playing 2 spinners and dropping Stark on spinning wickets.

The 20 runs didn't cost Australia the Test. Pant hit Lyon out of the ground a ball after a delivery spun five feet out of the rough. Pretty sure if he wanted to make up those runs he could have.

Me personally? Yeah I would have thought about resting Starc. As surely as they do that and someone comes in and takes 1-120, and people stamp their feet and say "why did we discard someone with 200+ wickets and an average in the 20s and a good strike rate for this potato?"
Disagree, that gave them massive over and gave India believe that this 5th day pitch was very flat. If these baffling selection happened to New Zealand you would be up in arms.

Australia needs to start preparing green tops ASAP! Weather or not the Australian batsmen can survive should be the secondary question. The most pertinent question we should be asking ourselves is, 'How can we take 20 wickets?'.
People seem to forget, that this Indian team struggles big time on seaming wickets, which was clearly evident on a recent tour of NZ.

I won't be holding my breath, though!
20 wicket has never been an issue with the Australian attack except when you play 2 front line bowlers clearly on very poor form.....but they were "brave" according to Starc and Langer having play all 4 Test during a pandemic when all of India fast bowler broke down for the last Test.

Disagree, that gave them massive over and gave India believe that this 5th day pitch was very flat. If these baffling selection happened to New Zealand you would be up in arms.

NZ? Why? I'm a West Indies fan and we select blokes who have barely picked up a bat.

As far as NZ is concerned, yeah I'm baffled that Santner gets picked, I'm baffled that Munro and Conway haven't been given a look in

Didn't Conway only qualify a few months ago to actually play for New Zealand since he hasn't lived there for that long? May want to give it some time. it's not like they haven't picked him over years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Having a big population is nice, but high performance sport is mostly just about money drugs. Just look at what happened to the UK's Olympic results when they started to invest in the lead-up to London 2012.

Even a tiny country can produce 11 great cricketers, as long as enough of their best athletes are incentivised to play the sport and there's plenty of resources to help them succeed.

EFA

Maybe they're waiting for Taylor to retire to slot him in at 4 idk

I could have sworn he qualify only in November. :think: That was why he was picked in the 20/20 during that time

Deserved series loss and lucky not to be 0-3 - completely bailed out by the fluke capitulation of the Indians in Adelaide. Probably not a surprising result given we had only 4 test quality players all series (Labs, Smith, Hazlewood, Cummings)

Last edited:
When it comes to resourcing, the most important factor is how much money you have compared to other sports within your own country.

That determines the quality of athletes you attract, the degree to which your sport is culturally embedded in the population, the strength of your domestic competitions, etc.

Spending compared to your international rivals is... I won’t say irrelevant, but definitely secondary.

Fair points and I do agree about the strength of the domestic competition and culture.
But large spending from our rivals especially in sports like rugby is starting to have a big impact. The UK and France are importing our coaches, players, culture etc and their game is becoming increasingly stronger. The only reason we stay competitive is that to play for the All Blacks you have to play in the domestic comp which keeps a lot of our top players here. But as soon as they get older or get dropped, they're off. It will be interesting to see where we stand in a few years

A year ago. Point taken but given his record I'd have rushed him in.

who does he replace though ?

Latham, Williamson,Taylor, Nicholls are certainties at the moment. So its really only Blundell who could get dropped and he got a hundred in Aussie not long ago
(That's if they keep picking Watling at 6 and Mitchell/De grandhome at 7)

ps only became eligible in Nov 2020 and hes already played International T-20. looked good too !

Deserved series loss and lucky not to be 0-3 - completely bailed out by the fluke capitulation of the Indians in Adelaide. Probably not a surprising result givne we had only 4 test quality players all series (Labs, Smith, Hazlewood, Cummings) *
Best and top 4 bowlers in the world who were both fresh for the series did all the damage in the 2nd inning of the 1st Test whereas Starc and Lyon got worst and worst throughout the series, Lyon actually bowled his best in the 4th inning yesterday but still got 1 for plenty whereas Starc.....LOL.

Latham, Williamson,Taylor, Nicholls are certainties at the moment. So its really only Blundell who could get dropped and he got a hundred in Aussie not long ago

ps only became eligible in Nov 2020 and hes already played International T-20. looked good too !
Nicols was really lucky this summer with dropped catches otherwise he would have been dropped for Conway.

Rachin Ravindra is another name to look out for and Will Young.

Apologies if I was incorrect before - the article I found was from Feb last year and must have been alluding to his upcoming eligibility.

I know they can't drop Nicholls at the moment (even though all his opponents do) but he would be the one most likely to go. And pending conditions I'd probably pick him before De Grandhomme or Mitchell. Munro is the one I simply can't believe was never given a chance.

Regarding the Shield BBL balance conundrum:

As mentioned above, could the Shield start in September, with all 10 rounds done by mid December? The final could then occur the week before Christmas. This gives continuity to our FC players.

Meanwhile the test summer would kick off early November, with the last two tests of the summer always in the traditional boxing day/new years slot. Selectors have a lot of info on who should be in the XI.

The BBL can kick off on Boxing day night, and go on for as long as they want in the new year, which from an international perspective would be dedicated to ODI and T20I.

Only issue I would see is that overseas tours like South Africa that kick off in March would have no recent shield form to go off, but that is no different to an English Ashes squad or any Indian tour either.

NZ? Why? I'm a West Indies fan and we select blokes who have barely picked up a bat.

As far as NZ is concerned, yeah I'm baffled that Santner gets picked, I'm baffled that Munro and Conway haven't been given a look in
So if WI made those bowling selection all series like we did for Starc and Lyon you wouldn't be up in arms? The whole point of dropping or giving the impression you rested them is to give them the kick up the backside so they have a better chance of performing the next Test if their replacement plays as poorly or worst as them, but hey "back the boys in, we were brave to play all series".

Remove this Banner Ad

Back