Autopsy post mortem v hawks

Remove this Banner Ad

9 goals in 10 quarters in 2018. Be on track for 70 plus if he kept up that.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
So why was he moved back?

Multiple choice.

A) s**t forward
B) Useless as a forward
C) Got in everyone’s way up forward
D) All of the above

If we are entertaining Majak the forward again, then Shaw has lost his marbles or the cupboard is so bare he has no choice.

There is no one. Wood plays like he sleeps with the light on and Larkey is injured. Comben has been injured and wouldn’t be ready yet, so who do you put in place of Xerri?

We need another tall option and he is it for now.

If you watch the game he actually presented quite well, he just didn’t clunk his marks. But the big positive was he provided a contest and brought the ball to ground. If only Brown I’d the same, then we might be talking about a lucky escape.
Durdin. Did well in that game in Brissy as a lead up forward

Durdin. Did well in that game in Brissy as a lead up forward
Durdin doesn’t have the urgency or competitive will to make it as a forward, he can’t even cement a spot in his preferred position as a defender.

I wouldn’t be giving up on Xerri, he did what was expected as a forward, he made a contest and got the ball to ground.

If he clunks a few marks tonight, his game goes from average to good.

Xerri was the least of our issues up forward tonight. Brown was pitiful with his intent to impact the contest.

Brown has kicked the most goals of anyone over the past 3 years. He had an absolute shocker and still wasn’t that far behind Xerri.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
That’s why I said based on tonight’s performance.

I’m trying to make the point that blaming that shitshow up forward wasn’t because if Xerri.

The kid competed in his first game, he will get better.

I remember Nick Larkey running around and not touching the thing in his first game.

Its natural for the guy to get pushed out so often, but if our boys moved it quickly enough the umps can see it. They can't see anything in highly congested marking contests where there are 5 Hawks on him blocking every angle.
He shouldn’t be relying on frees. Just been way below par for his standard. Lots of players were especially Zurhaar who looked disinterested for 3 3/4 of the game. Attempting one arm smoothers I saw Jy throw himself to smoother and that s**t from Cam.. I love him but it’s not good enough.

Yes he's out of form and playing stupidly, but he WAS double (and occasionally) triple teamed a bunch due to our stagnant ball movement. He's always been pushed off his line easily, and always will, but he makes up for that by being such a strong lead + mark player, coupled with what used to be ridiculously good accuracy.

Not sure if it's shorter quarters meaning he can't work blokes over as much, he's injured, or his confidence is just plain shot, but I'd agree the majority of his efforts tonight especially (and this year in general) weren't good enough. Even if he 'fixes' whatever is going wrong he's always going to be vulnerable to being nudged in the side or having his run interrupted though.

Mate, no team in the league plays a one on one style defense and certainly no player in the league gets double teamed like they employed in the 90’s

the free forward would * you up in the modern game where the small forward is just as destructive as the tall forward.

Hawthorns zone defense with defenders chopping off isn’t double teaming. It’s up to Brown to work separation. Even then, he had the front spot on nearly every one of his runs at the ball.

I don’t seriously know how he expects to take a mark when he raises one arm, flails his arms or doesn’t put up his arms all together. That’s not on the occasions when he’s not running completely under the ball drop.

He’s really really out of form at the moment.

Overall, as a team, we do not have the requisite skills to effectively play the "slow, kick/mark, posession" game, play frantic pressure fast and rough, and we are in our element, realise at times you need a bit of the former, but leave it to those on the team with the ability to execute it whenever possible.

I’ve banged on about this for a while... our mid sized defenders aren’t good enough users. You can get away with 1 or 2 in a side but Pittard, Atley, MacMillan, Williams, McDonald can all seriously butcher the footy. A decision needs to be made about each of these 5 players. We aren’t a top 4 side until there are only max 2 in our best 22 and 3 on our list.
Its amazing with the way modern footy has been played between the two arcs for years that we’ve never gone and addressed this.
Couldn’t agree more.

At the end of the day just another lost opportunity lost due to our ineptness.

In the last two games we have been getting first hands to it and either fumbling it or chopping it up.

It’s no coincidence that Wingard always looks dangerous against us, he sags off the back waiting for the inevitable turnover so he can get a cheapie over the back.

If we clean up our ball use and decision making by 5-10% today and it’s a different scoreboard.

Two weeks in a row an opposition has fed off our errors, not blowing us away by winning the contest.

We got beaten by a more composed and seasoned outfit tonight. End of story. Unlike a lot on here, I couldn't be happier after 20 years of soul destroying mediocrity. Where do I start. Thomas. Only a handful of blokes in the comp could have pulled off that left foot snap in the last quarter. The kid was operating in a phone box. Taylor. Talent to burn. He will turn games on their head. Zurhaar. See above. Hayden. Skilful and composed. Larkey. Will be in the best 2 or 3 KPF's in the league in 2 years time. Simpkin. Class. Throw in Scott, LDU and a couple of top rated kids in this draft and some good times are coming our way. Enjoy it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shaw: We did it again, we just got going in the last quarter. The Hawks brought the pressure, were strong around the footy in the first half. We didn't just adjust quick enough.

Shaw: It was about our urgency and ability to get in the contest. It clicked in the last quarter. We didn't show our true game and brand in the third quarter. It's so hard to sit here and see what we did in the last quarter.

Shaw: If we produce the type of footy we played late, we can beat anyone ... but if you leave it to chance, you put it in the balance. To Hawthorn's credit, they took their chances.

Shaw: We've got to go to work as a team and as coaches to allow ourselves to play that way earlier. We know we're good enough. We've got to find a way to do it for longer.

Shaw: Jack Ziebell rolled his ankle pretty badly in first quarter. He soldiered on and put himself in the middle of the ground. He's a bit worse for wear right now. He was proppy because he hurt himself and didn't want to just sit.

Shaw: I thought our standard of footy wasn't up to scratch.

Shaw: The kids stood up late and we had some really good performances down back. Walker played best game for us, Lukey McDonald played well.

Shaw: Cunnington woke up with injury a couple of weeks ago, and essentially hasn't gotten better.
Shaw, why would you play an injured player when you had others to cover him🤦

Got to laugh a Clarksons little hissy fit about the game tonight.

He really is a turd of a bloke.

According to him our comeback was purely on the back of stoppage free kicks?

He forgot to mention that a quarter of Hawthorns score came from shocking umpiring decisions.

Take the win you angry midget *stick, I secretly think you know you only won that game because we shat the bed for 3 quarters of the game with terrible ball handling and decision making, not because anything that Hawthorn brought to the contest.

Got to laugh a Clarksons little hissy fit about the game tonight.

He really is a turd of a bloke.

According to him our comeback was purely on the back of stoppage free kicks?

He forgot to mention that a quarter of Hawthorns score came from shocking umpiring decisions.

Take the win you angry midget fu**stick, I secretly think you know you only won that game because we shat the bed for 3 quarters of the game with terrible ball handling and decision making, not because anything that Hawthorn brought to the contest.

That’s rubbish we were an embarrassment tonight umpires irrelevant.

We were in front for 13mins out of 103 v Saints, 58 of 111 v GWS, 26 of 105 against the Swans, 11 of 106 tonight. That 25% time-in front. You keep playing games on the back foot then you better be prepared to lose.

In first quarters we're 1-3 with a % of 72.9
In second quarters we're 1-3 with a % of 60.6
In third quarters we're 2-2 with a % of 95.8
In final quarters we're 4-0 with a % of 231.7
Goes to show that with longer quarters, we are finishing stronger and would have won all our matches in a normal season...

I’ve said this so many times

But as we are the ones applying the pressure and all players are laying tackles we look slick as with our ball movement. It makes the opposition the sloppy ones and allows us to score from turnovers and gives us more space

It’s pretty simple really. We looked sloppy and every single time we kicked it, it was always under pressure from hawks = turn overs galore

The opposition dictated play. So we were forever chasing our tails and couldn’t get it forward

We need to be the dictator
Shaw looks extremely disappointed. The last 2 weeks our pressure has dropped so much when that is our game plan!

That’s rubbish we were an embarrassment tonight umpires irrelevant.

Well according to Clarkson they weren’t irrelevant.

My point is that it’s convenient to say one side benefited from umpiring when the other side kicked a quarter of their score from terrible decisions.

Of course we got free kicks at stoppage. We had a dominant ruckman that was getting grabbed by a bloke that knew he was struggling to compete.

I never said we weren’t terrible. But for him to try and deflect that we only got back into that game due to umpiring was pretty poor form, especially when his side benefitted from poor umpiring that resulted in goals.

i watch some of the game this morning and decided to go back to bed after a while. i know a sinking ship when i see one.

When Curtis wrenched the ball from Browny's hands to claim the mark late in the game, I thought of this

Kid has got some stones!

When Curtis wrenched the ball from Browny's hands to claim the mark late in the game, I thought of this

Kid has got some stones!
I thought the exact same thing. I thought this kid wants it and then I also was disappointed that Brown didn’t want it enough.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back