Autopsy post mortem v hawks

Remove this Banner Ad

Copping it in the arse with a polite smile on your face is even weaker.

Clarkson wouldn't tolerate it, but we do. Therein lies the difference. The Marquis of Queensberry was a pansy.
The free kick count was skewed because of all the ruck infringements and to be honest they stopped paying those in the end. Ceglar was holding on for dear life and I actually think they started feeling sorry for him and let it go in the end.

If these idiots could perform the job properly there would be no need to even talk about it.

They are so focused on looking for technical free kicks that the game is losing its integrity.

If anything they need to put the whistle away and only pay the blatantly obvious.

If they start paying the Zurhaar free against in the marking contest where he holds his position, then Charlie Cameron, Eddie Betts and players like that would be umpired out of the game.

Zurhaar has perfect position, held his ground and Scilliy flung himself at the ball to try and stop it going over the back. There was no push at all.

With footy being so close, umpires are certainly more of a factor than ever.

Just look at the Carlton v Essendon game, incompetence nearly robbed Carlton of that win.

Last edited:
I’ve banged on about this for a while... our mid sized defenders aren’t good enough users. You can get away with 1 or 2 in a side but Pittard, Atley, MacMillan, Williams, McDonald can all seriously butcher the footy. A decision needs to be made about each of these 5 players. We aren’t a top 4 side until there are only max 2 in our best 22 and 3 on our list.
Didn't touch it tonight. Should be dropped.

I'd say he's better than Scooter, because he doesn't give away silly frees.

Walker has been superb for us this year, and tonight he was brilliant. He and Taz kept us in it when the Hawks were pressing time and again, particularly in the 3rd quarter.

We got an absolute steal in Walker.
Forgive my weekly intrusion (and it will be a weekly intrusion, singing the praises of Josh) but North certainly did a steal in Josh Walker Second in the North best and fairest to Goldstein at this stage in the DERRINALPHIL household

Someone did say at some stage in the third quarter that giving Walker a run down forward may have been worth a try. Your full forward was totally out of sorts and the one goal he got was from a slightly soft free. I would have liked to see Ben get a run on the ball to get some confidence. Get a few easier kicks and then go back to full forward.

Frustrating game. For large periods we just made some really bad decisions with our ball movement. We have a lot of improvement in us.

Looking forwards to seeing Will Walker LDU VW, Cunners Scott and Larkey back in the team. I also am a
big fan of Turner playing in the backline.

If we can slip into the finals and have a full list to choose from i reckon we could give this things a shake. But yeah, we are a ways off that at the moment.

Blaming umpires is weak.

Honestly I laugh at other teams supporters when they do it.

If we were good enough they don't factor as something we cannot over come.
I'm not backward in slamming umps but I didn't hate them too much tonight. Thought we got the rub first half, not so second half, but overall ok.

I'm not backward in slamming umps but I didn't hate them too much tonight. Thought we got the rub first half, not so second half, but overall ok.
I thought the umpiring was s**t, but it usually is anyway. Regardless, there was so more than enough within our control that we did awfully for 2 and a half quarters that It's hard to give the umps a second thought.

So you grin and bear it?

I like you mate, but that sh*t is for losers. It's Brad Scott 101, and it needs to end.

Would Pagan put up with it? Would Barassi? Join the dots.
They didn't.

Man, we used to sit in front of the North box in the AFL area of the G and Dennis used to bellow louder than me when an umpire made a wrong decision. He used to scare everybody.

And Barassi on WoS would frequently challenge umpiring - although he made a point of only doing so in games we won.

I get it that umpiring can't be easy - they get a different view from those watching a screen but there is no excuse for games at the highest level to be plagued by inconsistency and just plain wrong umpiring decisions. I don't think we want delays for corrections like the horrendously incompetent ARC Goal Review system, but there should be no reason why an ump with an ear-piece can't be advised that there's been a clear ruck infringement, a throw or a push out - at least to keep an eye on it and pay it if it happens again. Come to think of it, if that is not being done, why do the umpires even have ear pieces?

I think Luke's having his best season. His effort has clearly gone up a notch and genuinely looks to get angry if he loses a 1-1 contest which he has lost few of this year. I think its all too easy to judge medium defenders harshly. Sometimes they're just under pressure and have to kick long and clear it regardless if there's a target or not. Not easy to disguise the kick to find the boundary these days. Is that necessarily the fault of the defender or a lack of players running to position? I've been privately critical of Lmac, but can't really fault him this season and hope he goes on to fulfill his potential he showed as a junior.

76F80839-D3B1-4D13-BA63-E7ADA0C4B97E.jpeg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Double or triple teamed?

Stop talking out of your asses.

He got legitimately taken to the cleaners by a 30+ ruckman playing full back for the 4th game in his entire career.

he doesn’t go hard enough at the ball in the air when everything isn’t in his favor, he gets pushed off the line of the ball incredibly easily and then tends to try and play for free kicks.

A sign of a forward seriously out of form is a forward that goes up one handed in a marking contest. Roughhead did it for about 4 games last year and was sent straight to the VFL. If you can get one hand to it you can get two to it. He wasn’t being held.

He had PLENTY of opportunities to impact that game tonight, especially early, he didn’t look like taking a mark.

Hes one of the highest paid players at the club, a senior leader and has the reputation of a star forward.

Stop making excuses for him when he stinks it up.

Hes been seriously s**t this year. Mr invisible for most of it.

Bullshit, it completely sets the psychological tone of the match. The same sh*t occurred last week and Sydney grew 3 legs. Trust your eyes, they aren't lying.

To my eyes our inability to effectively move the ball forward of center was of far more impact to the umpires.

We won enough ball. We kicked it sideways a lot.

We were indirect, and no forward stood out as having any real presence.

Umpires gon umpire.

I don't like them, I criticise them often. Mature sides win without them. We used to do it.

The last two weeks have shown we are not yet a mature football side.

Brown and Maj are your two KP players. Brown leads up, Maj is your alternate, long kick option. TT and Zurharr plays the lead up roll, Taylor and Mahoney play the small forward role. Resting mids rotate through.
I don't want us going down the "play Maj as a forward path". We've tried it before several times. It's not his go. His best value to the team is the floating intercept mark / 3rd tall defender. He's our version of Sicily. With a much better rig. And less punchable head.

Last edited:

Nah that's bullshit by clarko. Every coach would accept the majority of the first quarter because both teams were playing with such intensity. they structurally dominated the second and third quarters even if they could/should have made more out of it. They stopped dead halfway through the fourth which he should be dirty about, but that doesn't change how well they played for 3 and a half quarters.

I mean, I get it, he HAS to find issues with things because you have to find improvements you can make (and there are ALWAYS some to be found), but the majority of that game was played to a high standard by them.

Xerri wasn't picked or played as a second ruckman though, he was played as another tall forward to help out Browny, because that's predominantly where X has played this year. And I thought he did OK for his first game, given our poor forward entries. I didn't think his performance was so bad that it warrants him being dropped. I would given him another run, at least until Larks is ready.

Playing Campbell would have been playing 2 ruckmen, which would have been dumb.

Don’t play Xerri or Campbell forward ffs, they’re RUCKMAN. Nothing against Xerri, he did the best he could and I am sure his time will come to play in his preferred role. But playing him as a permanent forward is insane.
We have tried playing two rucks in the past, other sides have tried it and it just doesn’t work.
When you take into account the shorter quarters and that Goldy has an incredible aerobic capacity, it is even more insane.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
Ziebell is legit pretty close to not best 22. Atley needs to be moved on. Didn’t deserve to win but * it was almost very sweet. I’m not worried, think this might be what we need to really sort out our side.

However, Clarkson smashed Shaw when the game was in the balance - we just could not be clean on the outside, and we kept kicking it to their silky rebounders. Did he put work into Jy and Z too - happy to let Atley and the likes distribute. Shaw will learn, I have faith.

We have some brilliant kids but turning up for 1.5 quarters doesn’t win you too many games. Not too worried about the future as the coach is learning too, and we have Jy, TT, Taylor etc to look forward too.

Walker is a phenomenal pick up. Defence is well organised. Jed was heroic. Frustrating as * but somehow I’m not too worried.

Played like champions as soon as Ziebell went off. Horribly disappointing loss. Too many passengers tonight. I am shattered to be honest. Predicted an honourable loss at 3/4 time - was a goal out. Could see it coming.

LMac awful again.
It sounds like you watched the game, but then you say LMac was awful...

Yep. But we don't have enough skill players to minimise their deficiencies. McDonalds skills wouldn't be an issue if Atley, Williams and Pittard were more reliable by foot.
I think there are a fair number of times that McDonald, Atley, Williams, Pittard and most of the other defenders get the ball (under pressure) and they look up in horror to see nobody has made the spread for a lay-off. They then have to change to an alternat option, which can often be a bloke who's even more under the pump than they are. Or they try too hard to break a tackle and get pinged themselves.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back