Review Post Mortem vs Bombers

Remove this Banner Ad

He was deplorable, well more deplorable than usual, after the game almost wanting to incite something regarding the umpires.

Agree, and King had a crazy look in his eyes, like he was really angry. Jonno Brown and Nick Riewoldt tried to calm him down, but he wouldn't be calmed. Very disconcerting for a media person. I thought he was gonna lose it at one stage.

Feeling very satisfied this morning after a win like that. I understand people pay their money and ‘have the right’ to boo but that seems pretty juvenile imo, something that grown people probably shouldn’t be doing anyway.
The game had its ebbs and flows where we ran free early but didn’t put them away and then they ran over us but couldn’t finish it off. Their poor finishing in the end, Shiel particularly, probably cost them.
I thought the umpiring favoured us significantly and I’d be livid if some of that s**t went against us but that rubbish booing Pendles at that stage and on that occasion was piss poor.

Onwards to next week but first I’ll be trying to see if my Bengals can draft someone this year that isn’t a spud today for a change.

Go the mighty Pies!

This thread probably has the answers, and mentions Brisbane trying a dubious move against the Bulldogs a few years back, with Beasley having a shot after the siren: https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/standing-on-the-mark-double-team.851555/

This is from 2019 Laws of Australian Football:

19. DISPOSAL AFTER MARK OR FREE KICK
19.1 STANDING THE MARK AND THE PROTECTED AREA
19.1.1 Standing The Mark
When a Player is awarded a Mark or Free Kick, one Player from the opposing
Team may:
(a) stand on The Mark;

(b) move along a lateral line without advancing beyond The Mark; or
(c) otherwise be directed by a field Umpire.
For the avoidance of doubt, all other Players from the opposing Team must
be positioned behind The Mark or otherwise outside the Protected Area
defined in Law 19.1.2.

This is the incident from the Brisbane vs. Footscray game (it's not easy to see with all the people on the ground!):

Makes sense that only one player can stand on the mark, but what about the goal line on a 50+ m set shot?

I have to say, Essendon supporters are close to the worst going around. They’re on a different level with Richmond fans.

That aside, we played one quarter of footy and then seemed to go to water. Couldn’t hit targets by hand, our pressure dropped off, we stopped lowering our eyes and our midfield became pedestrian. It’s concerning, but good sides win when they play crap, and we did - so we move on.

On the umpiring - the two non-frees to Essendon at the end were terrible. With that said, they got the ball straight back, no damage was done on the scoreboard. People are reacting to the end of the game, but forget how some howlers led directly to goals for them. I don’t expect people who boo an ANZAC medalist to be able to recall information from more than a few minutes prior, so no surprise at the outrage. :$

Next.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Best on ground today was the bugler. Was absolutely pitch perfect and best I’ve heard over many years of attending.

The bugler nailed it. I've never seen such a perfect bugling performance. How was the concentration on his face? Never missed a note. Elite performance.

Bombers were always going to treat this like it was a final. They've been bollocks for so long now. They pulled goals out of their arse all day too and we missed so many gimmies. Confident next time we play them we will roll them.

Bombers were always going to treat this like it was a final. They've been bollocks for so long now. They pulled goals out of their arse all day too and we missed so many gimmies. Confident next time we play them we will roll them.
Agree.

I’ve seen some Essendon posters saying they hold no fear of us now... they were only in the game because we missed so many easy chances and they nailed very tough chances. When we ‘click’ later in the year, we will blow them off the park. :)

This was my thought exactly. There was even a missed free kick to lose a Grand Final. No one booed. I just watched the ANZAC Day replay and they were within 3 points after a dodgy free kick to Bagley which even the commentators were saying should not have been one. Plenty of missed free kicks all day. On the commentary, Bruce and BT are practically barracking when Essendon goes forward. Leigh Matthews seems most balanced. They comment on every miss on free kicks for Essendon and don’t seem to notice the Collingwood ones, with one or two exceptions. On the game, kick straight and it’s a clear win. We kept them in it. Take the 4 points and move on.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Leigh just calls it as he sees it. Never worries about “egging” the coverage on.

Bruce is a great gusher, a real Oprah Winfrey type.
Even when Mo Daniher was going for goal on half time, Bruce was barracking so hard for the goal.
So the game would be more even.

Then again Bruce barracks so hard for De Goey too.

He’s our Oprah, where everything is fantastic and good.

BT he’s just a shill, and big mouthed commentator.

But going live at least you can avaoid it all till the replay anyway.

one of those games you win but don't feel like you've won.
Really? Where you at the game?

I only ask because if you were and you heard the booing and saw the salty tears from the rampaging bomber nimrods then you'd feel like we won. The meltdown was glorious and i couldn't have wished it on a bigger bunch of pricks. Go Pies!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back