Post Number 2000

Remove this Banner Ad

Essendon 31.12.198
Kangaroos 11. 8. 73

Give yourselves a pat on the back if you saw that score with your own eyes on the MCG scoreboard. Not on the news, not in the following day's papers, but at the MCG at the end of the game.

So often we have a go at the players for a lack of heart, lack of passion, lack of fight, lack of guts, and as disheartening the peformance of the boys were that day, it was even more disheartening to see so many North fans leave that game early. On the field that day were names like Carey, Stevens, Bell, Archer, Blakey, King, McKernan, Martyn, Pickett, and Simpson; all premiership players, all who have put it on the line when it mattered, all important components of the Pagan era. We demand loyalty to North Melbourne from them, but we forget that as part of the bargain, we give them our loyalty.

You could hear the mumbled excuses as the so-called fans left, "Gotta beat the rush", "Must get up early tomorrow", and worse of all, "How dare they play such pathetic football, they don't deserve my support". For that last one, it's the wrong way around, you don't deserve to share in the glory of the team. Don't ever think that the players don't notice the colours thinning out of the crowd because they do. If David King noticed it, then so did the other 21 in our colours that day. When things go bad on the field, the players just can't decide to walk off and hide in the dressing room. You wouldn't want them to, you'd want them to stay and show some pride. As a fan, if things aren't going well, you don't run away, you stick around and show pride in the colours.

Later that night, wandering around town in a daze, I went into Gaslight records. With my scarf still draped around my neck, I heard one of the salespeople make some sort of disparaging remark about North. It would've been easier to put the scarf back in the car, but by wearing it, it was my way of saying, "F*ck you, we may have been thrashed but they're still my football team".

In the end, you can tell those who truly love their club by whether they're around when things aren't going so well. Since this North board was started, I can say that we have plenty of fans here that will still be here when things aren't so rosy. But the trick is to increase our numbers. Those fans who left early from the 1st Qualifying Final, don't hate them for what they did. Let them know they should have stayed, that they should have taken the pain of the loss, but that by staying, you're showing your loyalty to the club and the players.

In my 1,999th post, I wrote about the redemption of the players over 1998. In 2001, it's time for the fans to achieve redemption for the disgraceful exodus of August 12, 2000.

[This message has been edited by Shinboners (edited 29 March 2001).]

Thought provoking stuff, Shin-man.

Yes I stayed that night. I have yet to leave a game early, EVER.

But throughout the following week, so many supporters that I spoke to, (many I respected), all admitted to leaving early & could justify why.

I came to the conclusion, well, maybe next time I wouldn't hang around & endure that humility & agony that just eats away at you. I hate not being able to walk out of a ground with my head held high.

Your post has kind of put it back into perpective for me.

It was my birthday, and I was at work. Some days just can't get any worse
mad.gif

Yes i admit it, i too left early that day.

However i waited until "Pretty Boy" Lloyd kicked his 100th goal about 7 minutes into the last quarter.

That was the only game i left early last year. I even sat in stunned silence after our loss to the Pies beat us at CS in round 21.

Paul

I have only left one game early... it was a Friday night back in the 80's against Carlton... they were giving us a bath... and my new girlfriend promised me I would feel better if we left early...

and she was right...

this really has nothing to do with football...

Have never left a game early and never will!

Still have the words of my late grandfather ringing in my ears when as a youngster I said I wanted to go home early!

“You feel the joy when they’re winning, you feel the pain when they’re losing – just like those blokes out there!!”

Cheers

Gonzo

Originally posted by Rooboy 96:
I have only left one game early... it was a Friday night back in the 80's against Carlton... they were giving us a bath... and my new girlfriend promised me I would feel better if we left early...

and she was right...

this really has nothing to do with football...

Hmmm... was she a horny Blues supporter?

------------------
Banish Burgerboy for Bomber

I know history doesn't repeat but last Friday's game had an eerie ring to it. Those of you who can remember 1984 (No not the Orwell book you did in your HSC) may recall that we finished on top of the ladder in 1983 but were eliminated ingloriously,including an 86 point thrashing by Essendon in the prelim! Nevertheless there was reason for optimism in'84 as we still had players who are acknowledged as being among the game's greatest-Schimma,Greig,Dench,Glendinning,the Krakouers,Dempsey-but in the first round of '84 Carlton blew us away by 20 goals and we never recovered. We were forced to take the "youth" option and played guys like Larkin,German, Ross Smith and Arceri and it was another decade before we were seriously competetive again. Personally I think we're in a better position now than then and still have a big chance of being a contender this year but a chill wind did blow through me on Friday.

That thought is probably too pessimistic.

The thing about 1983 is that we did dominate for a large part of the season, but by the time the finals came, the team lost its legs...perhaps it led to a false sense of security within the club. In 2000, we never threatened to dominate the season and I think the club has moved to address the problem of an ageing side.

A more relevant example to our club would probably be the West Coast Eagles. As players from their fine 1991-1994 sides have left, they've made the finals without really threatening to win the flag (notwithstanding them getting cheated on home finals), and now they've taken a severe fall down the ladder. Our club may not be able to afford two or three years rebuilding and may have to find some way of accelerating the progress of young players (both as players and leaders) and continue with an orderly retirement of our club stalwarts (Martyn being the one to retire at the end of this season).

The good thing for us is that Pagan has had so much experience with developing young players as coach of our legendary under 19 teams, so maybe we can expect good progress from the kids. And with so many experienced players leaving over summer, there is an opportunity for them to take on new on field responsibilities.

Keep the faith.

For what it's worth I have always considered North fans on the whole, a fiercely loyal bunch. North fans can be defined as being very competitive and love a challenge.

Any clubs supporters, however, are going to leave a ground early if their team is getting thrashed. I remember in 1992, when the Bombers lost to Hawthorn by 160 points, thousands of Bombers fans leaving the stadium, for whom the anguish had become too much (I wasn't one of those, by the way. I stayed to the bitter end). The fans pay their money, and I don't see it much different to them leaving a movie if they don't think it is a good flick. If you pay the money, then you can leave whenever you want.

Generally speaking however, I consider Kangaroo fans among the more loyal fans in the game, but no one is ever going to stop fans from leaving half way through the last quarter of a boring game.

I guess some people are a little more resilient to the up and downs of football. I left early, very early when North were being beaten by Geelong in 1995. The game was the first time we played them after the 94 prelim final. That has been the only time. I have learnt to seperate the performance of the team from my overall loyalty to the club. I thought most North supporters stayed until the last quarter on Friday night, which given the dissappointment was not to bad.

Some of us are very loyal to the extent of having N.M.F.C inked under their skin or have a numberplate that reads roos 99 or spend all their money on going to every game where ever it may be. Some supporters claim that these people have no life.

Some of us just talk about it. Make excusses for non attendance or leaving early.

I was horrified by the empty seats in our membership area on Friday. I was sitting on the other side of the ground in the MCC members area.

I have confronted a few early leaving north supporters in my time with the simple statement "sit down and support your team" a few have responded but most hear but are embarrased. One guy said "if you want to watch these losers you must be a loser". He was decked out fully in N.M.F.C gear. That I cant explain.

I have only left the game early once and that was in 1997 v the bears we won by alot. the justice was i could not find my car in the carpark and did not get out early. Have and will not leave a N.M.F.C game early again.

N.M.F.C A WAY OF LIFE.
GO THE SKULL !!!
J.I.T.C
THE DOC..

Dan, their problem isnt so much leaving the game early as turning up to it in the first place.

I didnt notice Roo supporters leaving b/c I hardly noticed them on Friday anyway. Maybe their trevor Marmalade bus arrived late or they forgot to reserve their 14 seats?
wink.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back