• Godspeed You Black Emperor
  • Mogwai
  • Kayo Dot
  • Swans
  • Tortoise
Heres an example of an archetypal post rock song:
[YOUTUBE]-aLjup934Rk[/YOUTUBE]

One of best.

I love alot of post rock but they have taken elements of prog and elements of indy ,put them together and told the drummer to play a basic beat.

Post rock doesn't have much for a drummer to prick the ears.:D
R.I.P.-drummer.

Obscura ,I know of the first 2 and Tortoise as well and seen Laura a few times because when I was in Valanti,the drummer from Laura was working for our manager.

He came to France with us.

Nice bloke but I don't think he liked me when he asked me about prog groups and I told him Genesis and Tull instead of Sigur Ros.

I do have a Sigur Ros cd.

The one with the embryo looking picture on the front cover.

I just remembered I have Takk as well.

Drumming doesn't have to be expansive, it just needs to add to the music as much as possible. Whether that be tastefully (eg post-rock), or frenetically (fusion/death metal), it doesn't matter. As long as it doesn't detract from the music and become hyperbolic, it works.

Drumming doesn't have to be expansive, it just needs to add to the music as much as possible. Whether that be tastefully (eg post-rock), or frenetically (fusion/death metal), it doesn't matter. As long as it doesn't detract from the music and become hyperbolic, it works.

Jazz drumming is tastefully.

This genre is another guitar invented one where the drummer sits at the back and goes boom tap for every song.

Id say it works the majority of the time. A big epic drum beat at 50bpm works alot better in post-rock than a double-time punk beat.

usually the unifying theme is the song titles have to have at least 4 words in them.

The Mercury Program - Tequesta
[youtube]iKBKLr27TPg[/youtube]

these guys are one of my fav bands, their album 'A Data Learn The Language' is amazing as well as their EP 'All The Suits Began To Fall Off'. Theyre maybe more instrumental than post rock though.

some other bands not mentioned yet:
This Will Destroy You
You.May.Die.In.The.Desert
Explosions In The Sky
Mono
Red Sparowes (their best stuff is brilliant, but it's pretty hit and miss)
Collections Of Colonies Of Bees
Do Make Say Think
Apricot Rail (perth band)
A Silver Mt Zion

there is no unifying theme behind the bands labeled as such and therefor it is impossible to justify as a genre

Most songs from these bands have a quiet/loud dynamic applied throughout their discographies. Swans maybe not so much, but the other bands yes. They usually have minimal post-punkish verses, minimal/zero vocals, gradual climaxes. Maybe not a concrete genre as such; but they all deserved to be labeled together in some way.

Some of my favourites:

Explosions in the Sky
Godspeed You! Black Emperor
Mono
Mogwai
God is an Astronaut
Sigur Ros
Caspian
Red Sparowes

Omit does have a good point though, the genre cloud seems highly generalist, but I tend to like most of the bands that do fall under the aforementioned cloud, so there is at least a minor link, however thin that may be.

Don't forget IF THESE TREES COULD TALK and 69DAYSOFSTATIC so on and so forth

Also Bark Psychosis, who was probably the first band described as post rock

best post rock album i have is Ghostless by Escape The Day

thanks. am always on the lookout for some post rock... not really my prefered genre but is a nice listen.

post rock collection not complete without grails. read the reviews on allmusic.com, and they are all over them, as am i. channelling pink floyd, india/persia, and drugs. i do like red sparowes, but the same particular riff/sound seems to appear in almost all their songs.

unsure about swans falling under the label. anywho, some grails

shora, one i came across not long ago.

taras bul'ba, ditto.

edit: i have conveniently updated the links

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I love alot of post rock but they have taken elements of prog and elements of indy ,put them together and told the drummer to play a basic beat.

Post rock doesn't have much for a drummer to prick the ears.:D
R.I.P.-drummer.

Obscura ,I know of the first 2 and Tortoise as well and seen Laura a few times because when I was in Valanti,the drummer from Laura was working for our manager.

He came to France with us.

Nice bloke but I don't think he liked me when he asked me about prog groups and I told him Genesis and Tull instead of Sigur Ros.

I do have a Sigur Ros cd.

The one with the embryo looking picture on the front cover.

I just remembered I have Takk as well.

agaetis byrjun...........its beautiful

Possibly the finest 20 minutes of music ever recorded.

[youtube]tV83U4CDAx4[/youtube]

[youtube]f_TbIl-3W5c[/youtube]

Maybeshewill
Russian Circles
This Will Destroy You

Are my 3 favourites. I dunno, I like some but then not others. Shora, Red Sparowes and a few others I've given a chance but couldn't really get into it too much.

Yeah... Bought a Mogwai cd once... Must say, I have moodily noodled on the guitar in a similar way.. Although I'm better. Unfortunately I never got around to compiling my epic drones and giving them strange, obscure titles that suggest nothing of what they sound like.

I don't get it. Don't mind it that much. Cool background music. Difficult and self-consciously intense for the sake of being difficult and self-consciousy intense.

What...including classical recordings? Or don't you listen to much classical yet?

Possibly, what is to say I won't find anything better on my journeys :p

And another contribution...

[YOUTUBE]_EyI4p0yjDQ[/YOUTUBE]

So uplifting.

Yes, love it.

Sigur ros, Red Sparrowes, God is an astronuat, Helios......all differing somewhat, but very atmospheric tunes.

Caspian are someone I've just found too.

Russian Circles are one band I'm hanging to see live.

red sparowes are one band that absolutely ****ing kill it live.

i saw them in san francisco supporting boris, i'd only heard a few of their songs but they totally won me over. i bought their cd and was pretty disappointed.

i remember they played this song:
[youtube]G2CZbxsKqK0[/youtube]
i think the 2 minute mark of that song was when i was won over, they really got the sound of their live show down to perfection.

Would like to see any of my favourite post rock bands live. Explosions and Mogwai both come over here just before I got into the genre though, Sigur Ros and Mono have toured, but not west :/. Russian Circles are another decent one too Galon, I agree.

Three best Post Rock albums I've heard:

1. Godspeed You! Black Emperor- F#A#∞
2. Mono- Hymn to the Immortal Wind
3. Explosions in the Sky- Those who tell the Truth Shall Die, Those who Tell the Truth Shall Live Forever.

[youtube]hh6eT_zhmRg[/youtube]

Only 10 out of 35 minutes unfortunately

90% of all post rock shits me to tears, so it's def. something special when I enjoy it :p

Electronica Epic- It's amazing what music tastes you find on bigfooty!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back