List Mgmt. Post-season list management

Remove this Banner Ad

I think I'm a little confused. Is your post about drafting or development? Do you mean the idea of drafting flankers from u18s and expecting them to be AFL midfielders won't work?
List development. Drafting wise, to be honest I wouldn't classify anyone as being a defender or a midfielder or anything else (outside of clear KPPs). The role should be more dictated by what they have the capacity to do, not what position they have played between 14 and 18.

If there was a utility 'defender' on the list that had good speed and endurance, I wouldn't train him for the backline. Sure, go ahead and play him there, but primarily I would be training the players with the capacity to play midfield, as midfielders.

Perhaps we already do that, but I don't know - but I do think that atley is a recent example of how backline to midfield struggles.

I think the whole 'back 6' is a concept that doesn't make sense these days.

With Wright, Macmillan, Williams and EVW available in the back half next year we can release McDonald, Clarke and Mountford to the midfield for 2018. With that in mind we can finish the reset by trading Swallow and not renewing Gibson.

Let Hansen go as a FA if he gets an offer elsewhere.

LT is clearly out of favour so if we can get him to a new home we should assist.

Upgrade Zurhaar and cut Fordham and Taylor meaning 3 new rookies.

This leaves us with with 3 senior list spots to fill and 3 rookie spots.

If we get Kelly we may have to trade for currency with Goldy a clear option, and maybe even someone like Atley.

I don't have much to say here, because it would take more energy than I got right now.

But, the one thing I will say is that I look at how Clark has transitioned to the back-line from the midfield, and I think that this back-line first mentality of brad (the grizzled defender that he was in his own career) is just wrong.

If they have the aerobic capacity to play the midfield, they should play the midfield.

I think you can more easily transition a midfielder to the backline than the other way around, and that you just might be killing their career if you dont give those with the capacity to play midfield the training they need in the early career years.
Clark is a midfielder pure and simple and will play in that position for North.

No drama him playing multiple games in the backline this year as a learning experience but we all should be clear that's not his long term position.

Gut running mid fielders aren't in great supply at present at Arden St - and Clark is one of the few we have.

Clark is a midfielder pure and simple and will play in that position for North.

No drama him playing multiple games in the backline this year as a learning experience but we all should be clear that's not his long term position.

Gut running mid fielders aren't in great supply at present at Arden St - and Clark is one of the few we have.
Totally agree. But not really the point I was making.

Hansen, LT, Swallow, Gibson all gone.

Been fantastic servants, but they're wasting time on our rebuild. We have enough other/better seniors to help the juniors coming through so not going "youth only" with no support.

I'd delist Fordham and the guy from WA (name escapes me), Anderson also but he has another year and no one else would want him so he stays.

Goldtein and Waite stay - they're best is exceptional so not much to lose keeping them.

Delist: Anderson, Hansen (retire), LT (retire/part ways), Daw (sorry guys its been long enough), Waite (retire), Fordham, Jacobs (if we land big fish, but keep him over gibson if it comes down to it)

Swallow, Gibson, Thompson play out one more year

Not sure where Taylor & Wagner are at

Trade bait - if there is a good offer goldstein / mullet (otherwise year by year)

In: Kelly or Dusty. If we fail, we need class over anything else, so Hopper, Swallow, Smith (d), Billings.

PSS - is Harry Cunningham worth looking at at all?

PSS- if crows delist Cam Ellis-Yolmen - should we try and draft with a very late pick (ie, 80+) / rookie - always seen something in him.

You DO NOT delist contracted players!!! It's totally irresponsible.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Just a quick look
Hansen & swallow out
GIbbo thomas Thompson and waite stay
Resign all youngsters

Bring in kelly and I'm
Hopefully but I reckon we miss Martin
Hansen and swallow picks bundle trade for next years 2nd round gws. collect the points for next years draft if we don't get kelly just get best avalible kid and that's that.
List management is easy

Just a quick look
Hansen & swallow out
GIbbo thomas Thompson and waite stay
Resign all youngsters

Bring in kelly and I'm
Hopefully but I reckon we miss Martin
Hansen and swallow picks bundle trade for next years 2nd round gws. collect the points for next years draft if we don't get kelly just get best avalible kid and that's that.
List management is easy

Except we have to use 3 picks in the draft.

Our list managment has been poor and is going to make us struggle this year. Swallow Thomas Anderson all have 1 year left on their deals. Hansen is the only obvious out from our list. Gibson and Waite should go but knowing Scott will resign both. Mullett is another who hasn't signed a contract but i can see us offering him a new deal. Thompson as well will get another year i reckon

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought Lachie had a pretty solid season. Surely stays on for depth? Rookie listed?

Would suggest Durdin and Nielson are now ahead of Lachie. We would be hoping one of our internally highly rated players ( Wright) can find fitness and of course Marley Williams is best 22.

Hansen was a decent player for us for a decade but this is clearly a good call.

Now its time for Brad Scott to show he can walk the walk and pull the plug on Thompson,Gibson and Waite, we will see how much Scott believes in his own words if he pulls the plug on all of them then its 100 percent if he does not then we are going nowhere.

Interesting to note how much more depth we should have in 2018.
Obviously you very rarely have the whole list available, and there are more list changes to come,
but at the moment it looks OK.
Forget who is in the best 22, this is just an example.
AFL
B Marley Williams Robbie Tarrant Ed Vicker-Willis
HB Daniel Nielson Scott Thompson Jamie Macmillan
C Ryan Clarke Jack Ziebel Luke McDonald
HF Shaun Higgins Jarrad Waite Mason Wood
F Jy Simpkin Ben Brown Taylor Garner
FOL Todd Goldstein
Ben Cunnington
Trent Dumont
IC Nathan Hrovat Shaun Atley
Declan Mountford Kayne Turner
VFL
B Mitchell Hibberd Ben McKay Sam Wright
HB Oscar Junker * Sam Durdin Aaron Mullet
C Sam Gibson Paul Ahern Josh Williams
HF Corey Wagner Majak Daw Cameron Zurhaar *
F Lindsay Thomas Nick Larkey Jed Anderson
FOL Brayden Preuss
Ben Jacobs
Andrew Swallow
IC Declan Watson Will Fordham* Matthew Taylor *
Delisted: Lachlan Hansen
Even if/when other veteran players go, there is still good depth there.

What happens with Waite will be very telling imo

If we're getting either/or JK and DM, he stays another year 100% - far too valuable to winning games when healthy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What happens with Waite will be very telling imo

If we're getting either/or JK and DM, he stays another year 100% - far too valuable to winning games when healthy

At the end of the day, if we make the 8, we only need 6 blistering games from Waite to make his contract worthwhile.

The bloke is a match winner and they are as rare as rocking horse s**t these days...

At the end of the day, if we make the 8, we only need 6 blistering games from Waite to make his contract worthwhile.

The bloke is a match winner and they are as rare as rocking horse s**t these days...

Yep, and he's our only real Brown replacement if the big fella needs a rest or I can't even type it..

I think W80 being able to play on the wing will give him another year and possibly 2. You can't underestimate the importance of having elite experience around a building team (ie Bulldogs rebuild vs Melbourne).

So decision time......

Hansen- gone

Thomas- gone

Thompson- 1 year extension

Swallow- depends on...

Waite- one year

Gibson- gone.

Goldy- staying
So if only Hansen, Thomas and Gibson leave that covers our 3 draft picks
What happens if we get both Kelly and Dusty, can see you listed one depends on.... but assuming 1 more still to go?

Unless we go with 40 and 4 rookies instead of 39 and 5 rookies which we did this year in which case only 4 need to go

As posted in the contract thread
Wagner and Taylor are gone
Mountford & Watson told they have to wait
Would think it would just be Hansen Gibson and Thomas as the outs from the senior list
Wagner unlucky if true hopefully rookie list

Then everyone else stays, we can bring in dusty Kelly and 3 draft picks

So if only Hansen, Thomas and Gibson leave that covers our 3 draft picks
What happens if we get both Kelly and Dusty, can see you listed one depends on.... but assuming 1 more still to go?

Unless we go with 40 and 4 rookies instead of 39 and 5 rookies which we did this year in which case only 4 need to go

Looks likely we'll miss Dust 'n' Kelly. Swallow is on decent coin I believe. And yeah we may only use three picks or we could also trade some players, which could come from left field during the trade month or what ever it's called.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back