Injury Post Season Medical Update

Remove this Banner Ad

I think the chances of him playing at AFL level again is slim. However, I suspect theyā€™re keeping him on the playing list to give him a sense of hope and optimism, which perhaps may improve his chances of overcoming his concussion syndrome.

Given we must have already committed to 95% of the cap, we probably canā€™t fit his full payout into this year. Same issue with Gibbsā€™ $600k when we wanted him out of the club.

Last I heard he couldn't even run and bright light was enough to effect him. This, months after the last knock.
That sounds like the permanent damage has been done to me and that it wouldnt take much of a knock,if that,to see him in a right state for the rest of his life.

I'm wondering about our duty of care here.

There was an article recently where his improvement is continuing and that they may have gotten it a bit wrong or pushed a bit hard in the past.

I hope Sloane comes back fit and strong.

Gives him the best chance of being a useful cog in the machine.

Donā€™t pretend the guy canā€™t play. He could be useful in 2023. Just need to put that ego away and take a small role.

If, on the other hand, we think he should be a midfielder when things get tight ā€¦ or we think he will be central to anything we improve on ā€¦ that sounds like trouble.

If Rory craves the limelight, harks back to good ol days, captain courageous ā€¦ that sounds like disaster.

He lost his pace. He can still run all day, just not very quickly. Heaven knows how much worse that gets after a knee?

I will be interested to see if we actually have a role for him that the team needs, a role that plays to what remains of his strengths. He looked good in his last couple of games before injury at HF, but that ship might have sailed.

More importantly, will he be first picked? Hope not, but on history itā€™s probable. Donā€™t pick him because of who he his, then push him into a role he canā€™t play ā€¦ or push out a young player so Sloaney gets to run out to the cheers of the adoring crowd.

Donā€™t gift games. No matter what.

I hope Sloane comes back fit and strong.

Gives him the best chance of being a useful cog in the machine.

Donā€™t pretend the guy canā€™t play. He could be useful in 2023. Just need to put that ego away and take a small role.

If, on the other hand, we think he should be a midfielder when things get tight ā€¦ or we think he will be central to anything we improve on ā€¦ that sounds like trouble.

If Rory craves the limelight, harks back to good ol days, captain courageous ā€¦ that sounds like disaster.

He lost his pace. He can still run all day, just not very quickly. Heaven knows how much worse that gets after a knee?

I will be interested to see if we actually have a role for him that the team needs, a role that plays to what remains of his strengths. He looked good in his last couple of games before injury at HF, but that ship might have sailed.

More importantly, will he be first picked? Hope not, but on history itā€™s probable. Donā€™t pick him because of who he his, then push him into a role he canā€™t play ā€¦ or push out a young player so Sloaney gets to run out to the cheers of the adoring crowd.

Donā€™t gift games. No matter what.
What position would you play him and whose spot is he taking?

Iā€™d have to see how he comes back from injury.

He could probably tag. Maybe as a professional medical sub? If we have some injuries, possibly hff?

I would not want to see him and Keays on the ground together in 2023.
The issue is we donā€™t tag and there is no way Sloane will be the sub.

We will also have Keays and Sloane together.

Iā€™m ok with Sloane taking McHenrys spot for example but that wonā€™t happen either.

We have Taylor and Pedlar we need to get in the side. Cook needs to be developed. Rachelle will play more. We are bringing in Rankine. I just canā€™t see how playing Sloane helps us at all. He is going to be a hindrance.

I donā€™t wish injury on anyone and but it would have been better had he did his knee late in the year and not early. The additional games would have given more of a reality check of where heā€™s at and missing a fair chunk of 2023 should have made the decision to retire easier.

I find it hard to believe that people are hoping Sloane comes back into the side.

As George said we have to fit in Rochelle, Pedlar, Taylor, hopefully Rankine and Cook.

Surely we have moved on from Sloane (& Crouch), would be absurd to have him as our captain - sit him down, thank him for his contributions and offer him the job of leading our reserves until his contract runs out.

If we have some injuries, possibly hff?

If he's fit, this is where I'd like to see Sloane play most of his game time, a lead up small forward/flank to extend his career (and replace McHenry/Murphy).

He's a good contested overhead mark, and reliable kick at goal (unlike the other two), which would seem to fit into Nicks game plan where we seem to be bombing a lot of rebounds to a small forward. To me it's a possible win-win: the great Leigh Matthews finished his career this way, it ain't a bad thing.

I could handle Sloane having small bursts in the middle as relief, with the emphasis on the word small. The focus of the midfield has to be speed, creativity and accurate delivery, and the majority of the time should be dedicated to the kids.

We've been saying a fit Sloane is going to have a better year next year for the last 5 years.

The reality is, he isn't.

Giving in to this and trying to put him i the team because he's the Captain, or to justify the ludicrous contract is what will hold this club back.

This is the next generations time.

Sloane should aim to be the SANFL captain and move in to player development and maybe coaching.

The issue is we donā€™t tag and there is no way Sloane will be the sub.

We will also have Keays and Sloane together.

Iā€™m ok with Sloane taking McHenrys spot for example but that wonā€™t happen either.

We have Taylor and Pedlar we need to get in the side. Cook needs to be developed. Rachelle will play more. We are bringing in Rankine. I just canā€™t see how playing Sloane helps us at all. He is going to be a hindrance.

I donā€™t wish injury on anyone and but it would have been better had he did his knee late in the year and not early. The additional games would have given more of a reality check of where heā€™s at and missing a fair chunk of 2023 should have made the decision to retire easier.
Hence my trepidation.

I can see a chance for Rory to be helpful to the rebuild, I just don't see us going that way. History says he will be pushed (and push himself) forward ahead of others that deserve the exposure and the opportunity.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Now all Iā€™ve done is shared club information and commented how stupid we were, is that classified as being negative or would the positive people prefer if we ignored it? WeedsMullet84 what do you reckon? Do I have personal issues for posting club info?

Smart move, plays injured from round 6, form suffers, meanwhile weā€™ve got Worrell playing well in the SANFL, wait until the end of the year for surgery and puts him behind in preseason training.

Idiots
Do you remember when Burgess talked about getting players to toughen up and play with nigglesā€¦? That.

Now all Iā€™ve done is shared club information and commented how stupid we were, is that classified as being negative or would the positive people prefer if we ignored it? WeedsMullet84 what do you reckon? Do I have personal issues for posting club info?
Well many of us were commenting during the year why were we playing a clearly injured Doedee, particularly when we had an in form Worrell playing in the sanfl.

Outcome was Doedee played many poor games, such that many posters were questioning whether he is still a good player.

Also, Doedee was making his injury worse, meaning he would end up having surgery threatening his start to the 2023 season... where we were a better chance of playing finals than in 2022 where we were little chance!

Missed opportunity to get games into q talented young player who played better than Doedee on average (because he was injured).

Same old same old s**t Crows selection of playing injured players... which is insane when you are not playing finals.

Smart move, plays injured from round 6, form suffers, meanwhile weā€™ve got Worrell playing well in the SANFL, wait until the end of the year for surgery and puts him behind in preseason training.

Idiots

Thatā€™s how we rebuild, concentrate on the right now.

I find it hard to believe that people are hoping Sloane comes back into the side.

As George said we have to fit in Rochelle, Pedlar, Taylor, hopefully Rankine and Cook.

Surely we have moved on from Sloane (& Crouch), would be absurd to have him as our captain - sit him down, thank him for his contributions and offer him the job of leading our reserves until his contract runs out.

The issue with this is that Pedlar/Taylor/Cook have a combined 16 games between them. Pedlar struggled to put together a string of SANFL games, yet you think he is gonna be playing a bunch of AFL games in 2023. Taylor hasn't even debuted and Cook has played 11 games over 2 years.

Lets not act like these 3 are destined to play significant time in 2023.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back