Injury Post Season Medical Update

Remove this Banner Ad

It's really sad about Seedsman... hopefully this is something that will improve with time.

On a related note, does anybody know how Sam Shaw is faring these days? Did his symptoms get better? What about Scott Stevens? I think he was another forced into retirement by lingering concussion symptoms. I hope these guys were able to get through it and lead normal lives post-footy.

It's really sad about Seedsman... hopefully this is something that will improve with time.

On a related note, does anybody know how Sam Shaw is faring these days? Did his symptoms get better? What about Scott Stevens? I think he was another forced into retirement by lingering concussion symptoms. I hope these guys were able to get through it and lead normal lives post-footy.
Sam Shaw is a backline and team defence coach for Collingwood AFLW team. There is an interview posted on the Pie's website August 2022. He said he had had a variety of coaching roles since leaving Adelaide and has an appetite for it.

In April 2019 Nine Wide World of Sports reported he had started legal action against the Crows and their medical staff relating to his concussion and its treatment. I can't find anything more about that, perhaps there was a confidential settlement?

Sam Shaw is a backline and team defence coach for Collingwood AFLW team. There is an interview posted on the Pie's website August 2022. He said he had had a variety of coaching roles since leaving Adelaide and has an appetite for it.

In April 2019 Nine Wide World of Sports reported he had started legal action against the Crows and their medical staff relating to his concussion and its treatment. I can't find anything more about that, perhaps there was a confidential settlement?

it's well known that we kept Sam on the list becsuse some form of insurance policy re concussion was kicking in. It has always interested me because, from my understanding, a fundamental duty of the insured is to mitigate costs of the underwriter to a practicable capacity. Keeping someone on a list purely so that an insurance policy is enacted seems contradictory to the liability minimisation requirement of all policies.

it's well known that we kept Sam on the list becsuse some form of insurance policy re concussion was kicking in. It has always interested me because, from my understanding, a fundamental duty of the insured is to mitigate costs of the underwriter to a practicable capacity. Keeping someone on a list purely so that an insurance policy is enacted seems contradictory to the liability minimisation requirement of all policies.
Not an insurance policy, it's the AFL delisted player injury fund. He was kept on our list until the current scheme came into effect in 2017. Wether it was purely to do the right thing by Sam or to mitigate liability I couldn't say. I believe the AFL are now looking at a separate concussion compensation scheme.

McPherson-WEB.png

"Adelaide defender Andrew McPherson says he is progressing well in recovery from knee surgery and is eyeing a return to main training sessions as early as next week.

McPherson's 2022 campaign came to an end in July after he injured his posterior cruciate ligament (PCL) and the 23-year-old underwent an arthroscopy in late November last year."

This looks like another situation where we have a serious injury, and think it will heal by itself and then end up going into surgery 5 months later because the prognosis was wrong.
And then it puts him behind in pre-season as he rehabs from his surgery
This seems to happen too often

McPherson-WEB.png

"Adelaide defender Andrew McPherson says he is progressing well in recovery from knee surgery and is eyeing a return to main training sessions as early as next week.

McPherson's 2022 campaign came to an end in July after he injured his posterior cruciate ligament (PCL) and the 23-year-old underwent an arthroscopy in late November last year."

This looks like another situation where we have a serious injury, and think it will heal by itself and then end up going into surgery 5 months later because the prognosis was wrong.

Could it be happening elsewhere but we just don't notice it because it's not our players? Or do our medical guys have an aversion to surgery and only use it as an absolute last resort? Or do our players deliberately not describe their injuries accurately? It does seem that we're very often late to get issues corrected by surgery.

Could it be happening elsewhere but we just don't notice it because it's not our players? Or do our medical guys have an aversion to surgery and only use it as an absolute last resort? Or do our players deliberately not describe their injuries accurately? It does seem that we're very often late to get issues corrected by surgery.
His season ends in July and he has surgery in November.
It just appears to be a long time between the injury and the surgery

His season ends in July and he has surgery in November.
It just appears to be a long time between the injury and the surgery

Talia was another, plus the crouch's with their groins and hately played out a lot of the year in the 2s with a stuffed groin. Sloane and his finger, Doedee and Keays last year as well. We used to use upcoming finals as reasons for pushing ahead with injured players that aren't delivering. But nothing has changed since finals have been out of the equation less than half a season in. It's got to be part of an underlying strategy on how best fo put a 22 on the park.

Talia was another, plus the crouch's with their groins and hately played out a lot of the year in the 2s with a stuffed groin. Sloane and his finger, Doedee and Keays last year as well. We used to use upcoming finals as reasons for pushing ahead with injured players that aren't delivering. But nothing has changed since finals have been out of the equation less than half a season in. It's got to be part of an underlying strategy on how best fo put a 22 on the park.
God bless Dr Sando

McPherson-WEB.png

I recall when Dr Brian Sando was our doctor, when you went into the doctors room to be assessed , if you didn’t come up with a decent joke he’d rule you OUT😍

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back