Post your favourite Ben Stokes moments here!

Remove this Banner Ad

I think that translates as "we got thrashed in the Ashes and now we want to get the most out of Ben while he's not in jail"

Seriously, ECB? You decide he can't play because he might get charged for a serious assault but when he does get charged, it's all good to go. English cricket, never letting standards get in the way of a result.

No way will he do jail time. If he does it will be a very short stint..
Just in case anyone was hoping he will be locked up in 2 years time.

Seriously, ECB? You decide he can't play because he might get charged for a serious assault but when he does get charged, it's all good to go. English cricket, never letting standards get in the way of a result.

I do think the ECB's approach has been a little odd. He can't play while being investigated, but he can play having been investigated and charged. Um, ok.

I will say, though, in the end he didn't 'get charged for a serious assault'. He got charged with affray which basically means brawling in public. Almost certainly won't go to jail and quite possibly won't even record a criminal conviction if he is found guilty. If he'd been charged with aggravated assault or something like that then I suspect it would be a different story.

I do think the ECB's approach has been a little odd. He can't play while being investigated, but he can play having been investigated and charged. Um, ok.

I will say, though, in the end he didn't 'get charged for a serious assault'. He got charged with affray which basically means brawling in public. Almost certainly won't go to jail and quite possibly won't even record a criminal conviction if he is found guilty. If he'd been charged with aggravated assault or something like that then I suspect it would be a different story.

You are possibly correct. I do not know how things work in the UK, whether 'affray' is considered a serious assault or as you say, just brawling. Considering the footage and the result, just 'brawling' doesn't seem appropriate so I was unsure how serious they regard 'affray'.

I wonder if its a case of famous person, lowest possible charge?

James Faulkner was caught - and not just breath tested; he’d crashed - three times over the limit. His Cricket Australia ban was an odi tour of the British Isles.

It’s not like the ECB is doing something disproportionately unprecedented here.

James Faulkner was caught - and not just breath tested; he’d crashed - three times over the limit. His Cricket Australia ban was an odi tour of the British Isles.

I knew u would chip in with something like that.

The thing that people are questioning the ECB for now is the fact that they had suspended him pending the result of the investigation. That investigation has concluded and he is being charged but the ECB now see that it is appropriate for him to play. They either should not have suspended him in the first place or the should wait for the outcome of the legal proceedings. They have made themselves look stupid again.

In no way is there a comparison to anything CA has done in the past to my knowledge

I knew u would chip in with something like that.

The thing that people are questioning the ECB for now is the fact that they had suspended him pending the result of the investigation. That investigation has concluded and he is being charged but the ECB now see that it is appropriate for him to play. They either should not have suspended him in the first place or the should wait for the outcome of the legal proceedings. They have made themselves look stupid again.

In no way is there a comparison to anything CA has done in the past to my knowledge

The point is that regardless of their seemingly unfollowable logic, he’s sat out the biggest cricket event on the calendar, and as far as a recent precedent goes, it doesn’t really stack up much different to the last significant example of law-breaking I can think of from an international cricketer.

Regardless of your whataboutism, the desperation from the ECB to shove this under the rug has been appalling.

Thank Tony Blair for turning the justice system into a joke during his era. Takes ages to make any decisions...
joke sentences are handed out and people constantly released early.
This could have been sorted out already and stokes done his time .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So if Bigfooty is sending Stokes to the firing squad, what should the other 2 get? They have been charged with the same crime!

They also weren't considered for Ashes selection!!!.

Find it strange that they have all been given the same charge. Stokes lucky to escape an assault charge given what the footage shows

Regardless of your whataboutism, the desperation from the ECB to shove this under the rug has been appalling.

I was actually surprised he didn't play any cricket over here. I thought the ECB would have buckled and bought him in for the Perth test.

They also weren't considered for Ashes selection!!!.

Find it strange that they have all been given the same charge. Stokes lucky to escape an assault charge given what the footage shows

I think it’s fair enough, they all got in the fight, just cos Stokes came off better is no reason to let the others off

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/24299085/ben-stokes-alleged-mocked-gay-men-court-hears

It's been alleged that rather than defending gay men stokes was actually the one mocking a gay couple in the lead up to the incident.

the incident is alleged to have started when Stokes (and England team-mate, Alex Hales), attempted to re-enter the Mbargo nightclub in which they, and several England colleagues, had been in earlier in the evening. It was after 2am, however, and a doorman Andrew Cunningham pointed out they did not allow entry at that time.

Having been refused entry, Stokes is alleged to have offered Cunningham up to £300 in an effort to persuade him. When that offer was declined, Stokes is alleged to have become abusive to the doorman and then mimicked and mocked a young gay couple, Kai Barry and William O'Connor, who were leaving the club. Furthermore, he is alleged to have flicked a cigarette butt at the head of one of the young men.

Stokes has been found not guilty of affray. Unanimous verdict.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back