Post your ride...

Remove this Banner Ad

You're a big lad - get to the LBS and work out what size you will need.

A bike that's too small is difficult to adjust to get an efficient pedalling action. But if you're only going to be tootling around it'll be fine. However if you want to go on serious rides (which it sounds like) - say an hour or more - size does matter.

Avanti is an excellent brand.

PS - as a tip, it's usually very difficult to work out if a bike 'runs well' from photos. It's like a car - bits wear out. But if you are just starting out, it's probably on OK purchase - if you find out cycling is not for you, well, you've only burnt 350 bucks. If you get heavily into cycling, when you upgrade, 350 bucks will be a drop in the bucket.

You're a big lad - get to the LBS and work out what size you will need.

A bike that's too small is difficult to adjust to get an efficient pedalling action. But if you're only going to be tootling around it'll be fine. However if you want to go on serious rides (which it sounds like) - say an hour or more - size does matter.

Avanti is an excellent brand.

PS - as a tip, it's usually very difficult to work out if a bike 'runs well' from photos. It's like a car - bits wear out. But if you are just starting out, it's probably on OK purchase - if you find out cycling is not for you, well, you've only burnt 350 bucks. If you get heavily into cycling, when you upgrade, 350 bucks will be a drop in the bucket.

Yeah it's not so much for fitness just active really crashed my car and not keen on another and i figure it is a lot cheaper to cycle to work and what not its only 7kms. also just to ride to my cricket club so i can have a few and not worry about getting pulled over. but thanks for your reply cleared some things up

My new Wilier.

P1050222_opt-1.jpg

Nice, alu or steel?

Aluminium- I upgraded from a Scott SUB Flat Bar Road Bike which I got initially for fitness but I'm riding more and more and I just couldn't resist how stunning Wilier bikes look- not to mention the great deals on these things. I've only had it for 5 days and rode it for about 40km today and thoroughly enjoyed myself.

20120211075429.jpg

scaled.php

20120211075048.jpg

Not as flash as some of the others

giffler, your pictures don't do your steed justice. despite it being the budget offering in the Bianchi and it's coast to coast range, it is a very sexy bike in the looks dept. A Bianchi has to be celeste.......no argument. I'd also go as far as to say that it should come with Campy too but they've been releasing more and more Shimano-shod models to achieve a competitive price point.

One thing that's pissing me off with most bike manufacturers including Bianchi is how they'll name a particular model with 105 or ultegra or veloce, etc in the model name, but only components such as the shifters or the rear derailleur are the only parts carrying that designation, with the balance of the groupset being made up of inferior parts. This is the case with the 2012 Via Nirone 7 105 as I'm considering it amongst a range of options. The BB, chainset, cog & brakes are all lower end FSA/KMC/Tektro rebranded with the front derailleur being tiagra. Shop salesman obviously won't mention the mix hoping the schmuck who normally purchases at the price point won't notice. amongst the options im looking at, the Via nirone 7 has the least value in terms of the sum of its parts with a premium being attached to the Bianchi name. Still, it's a great bike to look at.

Anyway, rant over. The heart and soul of any bike is it's frame. How do you think it rides?

426569_3027520159404_1004816234_33079780_1693593756_n.jpg

HASA MTB $299 + $39 kids seat yeah!
http://www.cyclingdeal.com.au/buy/2012-hasa-mountain-bike-full-shimano-24-speed/COMP10D

Seems pretty well specced to me just cheaper thanks to the no-name frame and the self assembly (piece of cake). Anyway perfect for taking my daughter to the park, beach, cafe or ice cream store and she loves it and so do I. Will definitely purchase another one for the wife for family rides. Just have to mount the Dora bell somewhere... :cool:

Have now started perving at all the go fast road machines for fitness. I do a lot a lifting and ladder stuff at work and have had really tight calves and hammies for years, just the few short rides and a little stretching I've done so far seem to have helped a fair bit but now my butt is sore..... Maybe a roadie sometime in the future.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

giffler, your pictures don't do your steed justice. despite it being the budget offering in the Bianchi and it's coast to coast range, it is a very sexy bike in the looks dept. A Bianchi has to be celeste.......no argument. I'd also go as far as to say that it should come with Campy too but they've been releasing more and more Shimano-shod models to achieve a competitive price point.

One thing that's pissing me off with most bike manufacturers including Bianchi is how they'll name a particular model with 105 or ultegra or veloce, etc in the model name, but only components such as the shifters or the rear derailleur are the only parts carrying that designation, with the balance of the groupset being made up of inferior parts. This is the case with the 2012 Via Nirone 7 105 as I'm considering it amongst a range of options. The BB, chainset, cog & brakes are all lower end FSA/KMC/Tektro rebranded with the front derailleur being tiagra. Shop salesman obviously won't mention the mix hoping the schmuck who normally purchases at the price point won't notice. amongst the options im looking at, the Via nirone 7 has the least value in terms of the sum of its parts with a premium being attached to the Bianchi name. Still, it's a great bike to look at.

Anyway, rant over. The heart and soul of any bike is it's frame. How do you think it rides?

Your right it has a great looking frame and although not celeste the italian blue is quite stunning. I love the ride, when i was looking i test road the bianchi which only has tiagra an avanti giro with 105 and an avanti cadent with 105. I was never going to get the cadent but wanted to test ride a carbon frame. Out of the three i found the bianchi the most comfortable and smoothest ride.

The bianchi was about the same price as the giro but I had to go for the comfier ride as I couldn't feel much of a difference between the tiagra and 105

Your right it has a great looking frame and although not celeste the italian blue is quite stunning. I love the ride, when i was looking i test road the bianchi which only has tiagra an avanti giro with 105 and an avanti cadent with 105. I was never going to get the cadent but wanted to test ride a carbon frame. Out of the three i found the bianchi the most comfortable and smoothest ride.

The bianchi was about the same price as the giro but I had to go for the comfier ride as I couldn't feel much of a difference between the tiagra and 105

Thanks for the reply, giffler.

You sure it ain't celeste? You'll have to post a better pic with more light. What year model is it by the way? From memory, the seat stays prior to 2010 were either carbon or had kevlar inserts to help smooth the ride. The ones after 2010 provide a nice ride anyway because the geometry of the via nirone frame generally is more sportive than race. I know for a fact that the wheelbase is longer than the race-inspired CAADs or Allez, and so it probably won't feel as stiff and abrasive as those two options.

Seriously, I really love the look of the livery of the 2012 105 mix.
32a37bcbafbf91c20e6bc691a9fea20d.image.750x499.jpg

Was even contemplating the new 2012 Impulso with the Campy Veloce mix which comes in above the Via Nirone but below the carbon Infinito in the C2C range. It's black with celeste trim but at $2.2k, it's low on bang for buck in my opinion. Can get the best alu frame in the market of the CAAD10 for that price shod mostly with 105 (ex Cannondale's stiffer BB30 bottom bracket, FSA gossamer cranks, and Shims RS10 hubs), and a full carbon fork, i.e., steerer and blades. the lower end Shimano rims are a worry though.
bianchi-impulso-veloce-compact-2012-road-bike.jpg

really leaning towards the CAAD10 at the mo, but will hit the road with my options and take it from there. In he flesh, I like both the black andonised and liquigas team livery options they have available, although the former looks really easy to scratch, and the latter a bitch to keep looking clean. They look average in photos though. Bianchis definately much sexier bike aesthetically.
6236-BLK-L.jpg
6236-WHT-L.jpg

They say buying a new bike is half the fun. I always find myself in a state of inertia!

that's better. good to see you've taken note of bike photo tips too. :thumbsu:

very nice. good thing it's a post kevlar insert seat stays model. the seat stays on the models before yours were actually a separate component to the main triangle which were inserted into the main triangle and glued on rather than welded. have heard from my LBS that they were loosening and breaking off in some cases. Would obviously cause a problem if on the road. Test rode a Via Nirone this morning. Sweet ride. Very comfy for alu. the larger rear triangle helps.

You must have decent hills close. Downhiller's are crazy mofos:thumbsu:

not the most bad ass hills ever but i've had a lot of fun over the years. some nice drop offs and naturally made jumps around to mix things up. i love just going in the bush and taking different tracks, exploring etc. great feeling when you find a new fast hill or decent jump.

my previous bike was a mongoose i got from kmart:eek: split it in half landing from a 5 foot drop off one day. it lasted a suprisingly long time and took a hell of a beating.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back