Post your Toby Greene media crucifixion stories here

Remove this Banner Ad

OnlyPowerForever

Cancelled
Mar 22, 2021
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Starting with a literal crucifixion reference....

Has no chance with media reporting like this.

20210829_190405.jpg

Not to mention groups like the Footy Show imploring Matt Stevic to "do the right thing" and stand up for junior U8, U10, U12 umpires.....

The defence of him is much stronger in the media than the "crucifixion"

There was some trying to make an argument he made no contact at all.
This is a line in the sand moment for the AFL.

Community Umpire numbers have evaporated, particularly in regional areas.

If nothing is done, they will disintegrate.

You can’t be half pregnant - either show some balls and give him a good spell or deal with the consequences

You can’t be half pregnant - either show some balls and give him a good spell or deal with the consequences
Interested to read more about this, where did you get your info from?

Notwithstanding the general respect of umpiring needing to be upheld, I wouldn't expect a single amateur football player has ever thought "i don't need to respect an umpires space because an AFL player walked into one." Or would even think to use that as a defence.
Or any other on field AFL incident for that matter

But maybe that's just the sum of my own experiences, I'm sure others have different examples.

This is a fine, nothing more. There's no malice (or visible evidence of it), no aggression, no visible anger or gesturing. There were a lot of players in that area, I don't know how Stevic found himself inside that area anyway. Very experienced umpire, only he'll know how this unfolded and I hope he'll tell the truth, good bad or otherwise. So we are all in the know.

Notwithstanding the general respect of umpiring needing to be upheld, I wouldn't expect a single amateur football player has ever thought "i don't need to respect an umpires space because an AFL player walked into one." Or would even think to use that as a defence.
Or any other on field AFL incident for that matter

But maybe that's just the sum of my own experiences, I'm sure others have different examples.

This is a fine, nothing more. There's no malice (or visible evidence of it), no aggression, no visible anger or gesturing. There were a lot of players in that area, I don't know how Stevic found himself inside that area anyway. Very experienced umpire, only he'll know how this unfolded and I hope he'll tell the truth, good bad or otherwise. So we are all in the know.
Sorry - I do not concur - it’s a deliberate act - he has to get a spell - I’ve seen similar s**t in the country result in good young umpires pulling the pin - you cannot deliberately touch an umpire - it’s drilled into you as a kid - I took umpiring in my 40’s and played at Major country league level - you simply cannot do what he did with out getting suspended

2 years of COVID has probably done a little more damage to regional football than Toby Greene.

But only just.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2 years of COVID has probably done a little more damage to regional football than Toby Greene.

But only just.
Regional Umpire numbers were in severe decline prior - many never came back after last year - AFL Vic were told this in October last year - they did * all - they’ll be off a cliff by the start of next season - I will question my involvement going forward post this - it’s simply not worth it

Regional Umpire numbers were in severe decline prior - many never came back after last year - AFL Vic were told this in October last year - they did fu** all - they’ll be off a cliff by the start of next season - I will question my involvement going forward post this - it’s simply not worth it
Whateley on 360 last night said the starting point in suburban leagues would be 6 weeks. Does that sound correct? Are you happy with the 3 Greene has copped or do you think it should be higher?

Whateley on 360 last night said the starting point in suburban leagues would be 6 weeks. Does that sound correct? Are you happy with the 3 Greene has copped or do you think it should be higher?
Had to send a strong message - is 3 enough? Probably not, but had he got off I would have given it away - the feeling amongst umpires is pretty strong

Regional Umpire numbers were in severe decline prior - many never came back after last year - AFL Vic were told this in October last year - they did fu** all - they’ll be off a cliff by the start of next season - I will question my involvement going forward post this - it’s simply not worth it

Every now and then, I go to a local game and stand near the boundary line watching the action. It's been many years since I played, but I cannot believe the amount of abuse dished out by players to the umpires these days. I think some of the players would do themselves a favour by not trying to advise umpires on what they are doing wrong, and focus more on worrying about their own performance.

I did a little bit of umpiring for awhile, went okay as well, but no way could I umpire today. I'd end up handing the whistle to an abusive player, tell him if he thinks he can do better to take over, and walk off the ground. Not sure I'd lay the blame entirely at the feet of the players either. If you stand anywhere near the coaches box and listen to the torrent of abuse emanating from there, how can you expect players to pull their heads in?

Every now and then, I go to a local game and stand near the boundary line watching the action. It's been many years since I played, but I cannot believe the amount of abuse dished out by players to the umpires these days. I think some of the players would do themselves a favour by not trying to advise umpires on what they are doing wrong, and focus more on worrying about their own performance.

I did a little bit of umpiring for awhile, went okay as well, but no way could I umpire today. I'd end up handing the whistle to an abusive player, tell him if he thinks he can do better to take over, and walk off the ground. Not sure I'd lay the blame entirely at the feet of the players either. If you stand anywhere near the coaches box and listen to the torrent of abuse emanating from there, how can you expect players to pull their heads in?
I offer the whistle to a player at least once a week

There is a growing disrespect for authority in our society and unfortunately it extends to Aussie Rules umpires. Not good enough.

There is a growing disrespect for authority in our society and unfortunately it extends to Aussie Rules umpires. Not good enough.
Respect has to be earned, I don’t have a lot of time for politicians but I’m not running thru them because I don’t like their decisions. Footy is an emotional game, but there are lines that should not be crossed. I’m honestly flabbergasted that some in the football media reckoned it was only worthy of a fine, I’m pleasantly surprised that the AFL hierarchy have decided to go in hard on this. We (umpiring bodies) have been telling them for a long time that we’ve got a massive issue with senior field umpires. Maybe they’re getting the message.

Off the football ground, the jails are filled people just like Greene, people who simply cannot control themselves.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back