Autopsy Postmatch discussion/autopsy vs Eagles

Aug 25, 2006
Mount Waverley
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Watch Scott drop the kids while underperforming senior players get a reprieve.

If that's what Thompson and Gibson have to offer then I would rather Durdin and Clarke play.

Not sure why Waite is the brunt of a lot of criticism? At least he was getting the thing.

Ziebells kicking made Waites look elite.

rooboy29

All Australian
Jun 11, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Positives:

Goldstein was good. Dominated the hit outs and kicked 3. Can't ask for more than that from the big man.
Debuts out of the way: None of our debutants did particularly well; but at least they've got a game under their belt
We had plenty of chances: We didn't lose for lack of opportunity
Preuss kicked a goal on debut and was serviceable at the centre bounces. Well done mate. Not bad for a rugby player!
Marly Williams did a good job.

Negatives:

Waite kicked SEVEN behinds. Pretty much summed up our whole day
Fitness: The Eagles ran us off our feet
Disposal: Horrible. Just horrible. Horrible, horrible, horrible
Defence: Thompson has been a good footballer; he looked worse than ordinary today. And as for Hanson ...

Bitter/Sweet:

Dumont looks very much at home in the midfield. 25 possessions was a good return. But omg the turn overs!
Jack got more than 30 possessions in the midfield. But omg, the shocking disposal efficiency
Swallow back to his bustling best. But omg, the turn overs!

Perplexing:

Is Luke McDonald going to be a great player? He's okay. But is he going to justify his high pick?
Atley in the midfield is the move we've been waiting for. But meh
I thought mcdonald was good

Jul 10, 2008
Townsville
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Turnovers, basic errors, one too many handballs and shocking in front of goal. That's about it.

Not much out of the kids today which is to be expected for a first game. Going to be frustrating but have to be persisted with.

Dumont, JZ, Goldy, Waite (aside from kicking) good. Ats was good in patches.

Out: Mountford, Hansen
In: Clarke, Durdin

I don't know what game a lot of you were watching. We had 3 problems today. They were disposal, disposal and finally disposal. There was nothing particularly wrong with Thompson or Hansen. Ince you turn the ball over up the field like we did, your defense is crucified. Not all bad, though some of it was hard to watch. Our young guys were like deers in spotlight, but that happens. They'll learn. Hopefully, today isn't a sign of things to come for W80 and Thomas!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BTRAIN2

Team Captain
Aug 26, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Boys. We had four debutants against a hardened, seasoned AFL team. We actually had no chance of winning today. This year will be a year of transition and if you can't see that and deal with it you're a moron

Aug 25, 2006
Mount Waverley
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I don't know what game a lot of you were watching. We had 3 problems today. They were disposal, disposal and finally disposal. There was nothing particularly wrong with Thompson or Hansen. Ince you turn the ball over up the field like we did, your defense is crucified. Not all bad, though some of it was hard to watch. Our young guys were like deers in spotlight, but that happens. They'll learn. Hopefully, today isn't a sign of things to come for W80 and Thomas!

Thompson was shithouse. Guy can't even mark the ball anymore.

darko

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Hansen was putrid.

GarnerSmash

They tried to make me go to rehab
10k Posts Ex-Moderator North Melbourne - 2015 Daw & MacMillan Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2014 Daw, Black, Gibson Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2011 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor
Jun 2, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Sure, some akills were deplorable and got worse as the game went on. Fatigue. And yep, most of our experienced blokes were poor. The defence was under siege a bit and a number of the players looked well off the mark down there.

The mids got belted around the contest as the game went on and too many went missing or were just average. When we moved it quickly we looked good but this too dropped off as the game progressed.

The stats tell the real story. West Coast dominated the uncontested ball, moving it from the contest with ease and around the ground as they please with our blokes a mile off them at times. This indicates that we could not keep the pressure up and couldn't hold up the easy switch. This then puts the defensive group under significant pressure.

And this is what happens when you play a young group. Being a great runner in preseason is one thing. Being able to do it for 120 mins and then execute skills under fatigue is a whole other ball game. Ifwe continue to play a number of kids then this will continue to be the case for some time.

Despite this if we had kicked straight we are still in the game halfway through the last meaning we were able to create opportunities despite not being able to handle s**t defensively. That is a good sign.

We need to stay the course with the young fellas and mid career blokes need to step up now. Atley, McDonald, Ziebell, Macmillan need to improve and Swallow, if continued to be selected faces a big task in staying a relevant AFL player.

It will likely be a long season but I think we are capable of winning against other developing teams and a few of the mid tier teams. Hibberd, Simpkin, Mountford, Preuss, Dumont and Turner will continue to improve over time so this will get better.

My advice to fellow supporters is to be realistic now and look for the improvements rather than th e points. When we start restricting opposition scoring and uncontested possessions we will be on the right track.

Oct 16, 2004
The Gasometer
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
There's poor disposal that is skill related and there is poor disposal that's about decision making. We have guys who pick the wrong option and then cough it up anyway with a skill error.

Pressure through the midfield was zero. The moment they got clean possession across half back we conceded an inside 50.

Not sure we got much out of that one. Youngsters showed next to nothing and experienced players made the same mistakes they've been making for years. Was hoping for six months we'd surprise a lot of people and be OK. After one game I just can't see it.

Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Defensive setups and transitions were pretty poo. While disposal exacerbated all our issues, for most of our game we simply weren't anywhere near the eagle's players. As for Thompson and Hansen they were both, in my opinion, a mix of bland and shocking. Scooter is so far over the hill it isn't funny, and Lachie still can't defend adequately but now he also isn't marking as well as he used to. The argument is that they are both deteriorating while we have kids in the wings who, while they might play worse, would also benefit in the long run from being played.

koshari

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 24, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
well were back,
wilderness1.jpg

Jindrrk

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 20, 2016
Macau
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
*, St Dwarves, Lolmond
As I've noticed over the past few years and mentioned it while I was on Facecrap the past few years; our handballing is a concern. It has to be the worst in the comp. All it does it create turnovers or give our forwards less a chance to get aclean ball kicked to them as puts the player under pressure who is kicking the ball to them.

Then we have midfielders that struggle to hit a target on foot. Which is usually not as large of a problem but it was today.

And like last year we were in games and bad shots at goal cost us big time. Like it did today. Had we put scoreboard pressure on who knows what may of happened to the result.

Thompson looks a bit underdone or just is passed him.

Swallow was fine. Not sure why people are bashing him.

Tarrant played his worst game as a backman. He played like he did in the JLT and is underdone.

Shots at goal just drained my emotional energy all day :(

Back