Autopsy Postmatch discussion/autopsy vs Eagles

Remove this Banner Ad

In the third quarter Waite fumbled a mark on the boundary line after a kick from HB and instead of ensuring the ball died or going for a second effort of possession he proceeded to punch the ground in anger whilst one of the Eagles scooped the ball up and sent it forward for an easy mark and goal. I have not been as furious at selfish and insular play as it essentially ended up the match killer.

There were positives from this game, I thought.

Dumont was great. I thought he tried really hard, was creative, and is easily our best user by foot going inside the F50. Low and hard and direct and puts it where the opposition can't get.

Brown was good before he faded out of the game. Goldstein had a terrific game. Atley was OK in patches but I have questions on his work rate.

In the third quarter Waite fumbled a mark on the boundary line after a kick from HB and instead of ensuring the ball died or going for a second effort of possession he proceeded to punch the ground in anger whilst one of the Eagles scooped the ball up and sent it forward for an easy mark and goal. I have not been as furious at selfish and insular play as it essentially ended up the match killer.

Tax did the same in the first. Thought the ball was going out so didn't put in any effort, the Eagles player had a crack & the ball stayed in. Furious with the lack of effort from both Taz & Waite.

Chill guys, it really wasn't that bad. I am usually pretty pessimistic but I liked what I saw today. The main thing for me is that we didn't ever look completely inept (Carlton-esque) and we had a few unlucky free kicks go against us & 1 goal for them that WAS out of bounds (I could see that s**t from the other side of the wing) but if Waite had kicked 6.2 or 5.3 we wouldn't be bitching so much.

Marley kept lecras quite when he moved onto him, he was very impressive!! Dropped Vardy when they were 1v1. Even his shanked kick out lead to a coast to coast goal! Going to be a ripping pick up and still so young!

One of the absolute low lights for me today was early in the fourth, we were only a few goals behind and Jy Simpkin took a mark 35 out straight in front.

Sam Gibson, a senior player at the club, should tell him to steady up and back himself. Instead of doing that, he screams for it, knowing that a first game player isn't going to ignore his call, and he blasts it across the face in a rushed fashion.

Seriously poor example being set for young players, for me that is absolutely unacceptable.

Reckon it was closer to 45 out, and Simpkin seems to have zero penetration with his kick. Didn't mind that.

Anyone know if his broken leg is his preferred side? His set shot earlier in the game didn't make the distance from 40-45.

Tax did the same in the first. Thought the ball was going out so didn't put in any effort, the Eagles player had a crack & the ball stayed in. Furious with the lack of effort from both Taz & Waite.

Yeah, I was going to mention that one but from my view it looked out anyway so I didn't think too much about it. We were playing well in the first so I may have had blinkers on there. Both were ordinary, Waite's was more glaringly stupid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One of the absolute low lights for me today was early in the fourth, we were only a few goals behind and Jy Simpkin took a mark 35 out straight in front.

Sam Gibson, a senior player at the club, should tell him to steady up and back himself. Instead of doing that, he screams for it, knowing that a first game player isn't going to ignore his call, and he blasts it across the face in a rushed fashion.

Seriously poor example being set for young players, for me that is absolutely unacceptable.

I was furious.

Sam can spend a month at Werribee to think about it as far as I'm concerned.

Turnovers, basic errors, one too many handballs and shocking in front of goal. That's about it.

Not much out of the kids today which is to be expected for a first game. Going to be frustrating but have to be persisted with.

Dumont, JZ, Goldy, Waite (aside from kicking) good. Ats was good in patches.

Out: Mountford, Hansen
In: Clarke, Durdin
You forgot Cunners

This

Yeah Jack would have questions to answer if he had quick silky players burning past him screaming for the handball. He doesnt.
When he misses a target by 15 metres coming out of halfback under little pressure then he has a question to answer.

When he bombs it forward without even looking when he's not even really facing forward he has questions to answer.

When he just bombs it forward when he has 15m of clear space around him, lateral handball options and short options by foot he has questions to answer.

EDIT: When he goes at a putrid 45% by foot, he has questions to answer.

It's embarrassing that a first gamer in Simpkin showed more composure and footy smarts in traffic than our captain.

This isn't an isolated game, an aberration where he was uncharacteristically terrible by foot. This is his standard and it's fast becoming a trademark. We should be demanding better from a player who is our captain and supposed to be one of our best. He is so far from being an elite player, it's ridiculous.

Last edited:
When he misses a target by 15 metres coming out of halfback under little pressure then he has a question to answer.

When he bombs it forward without even looking when he's not even really facing forward he has questions to answer.

When he just bombs it forward when he has 15m of clear space around him, lateral handball options and short options by foot he has questions to answer.

This isn't an isolated game, an aberration where he was uncharacteristically terrible by foot. This is his standard and it's fast becoming a trademark. We should be demanding better from a player who is our captain and supposed to be one of our best. He is so far from being an elite player, it's ridiculous.

JZ - he tried
Swallow - drop him

Hhmmmm

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Reckon it was closer to 45 out, and Simpkin seems to have zero penetration with his kick. Didn't mind that.

Anyone know if his broken leg is his preferred side? His set shot earlier in the game didn't make the distance from 40-45.

He ran too close to the mark first kick...made a mess of it

EDIT: When he goes at a putrid 45% by foot, he has questions to answer.

It's embarrassing that a first gamer in Simpkin showed more composure and footy smarts in traffic than our captain.

if he played for any other team everyone on here would be laughing at him!

JZ - he tried
Swallow - drop him

Hhmmmm

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yep.

Excuses are made for Ziebell by some. He's under pressure, or he has no runners, his teammates let him down or it's ok because every player does it.

Yet the likes of Swallow and Gibbo are crucified despite making errors that aren't as actively damaging to our game as those made by Jack. The likes of JMac are slaughtered because they lose contests despite being out positioned by their opponent and the midfield not pressuring the inside 50 entries.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back