Opinion Posts That Don't Deserve a Thread (Random Opinion or Questions)

Remove this Banner Ad

I am furious, still!! that we traded Terry Daniher to Essendon, in 1978, for Neville Fields :mad:
Hence his three brothers played for Essendon.
Some of you young ones may have heard of the Daniher surname ;)

I am furious, still!! that we traded Terry Daniher to Essendon, in 1978, for Neville Fields :mad:
I see your Terry Daniher and raise you a Warren McKenzie.

Never heard of him kids?

Not surprising. But we gave up pick 2 for the privilege of him trotting out for 20-odd games of pure mediocrity.

Spot on. I was enraged when it it happened. Terry had a terrific first season playing centre half forward. Like you I have never properly recovered.

And I completely agree (well maybe not the Joey retiring thing because he's my favourite Swan ever and I'll be heartbroken when he goes), what gets me is that the poster in question goes on and on and on and on and on about George and now makes him out to be the equivalent of GAJ in abilities which he's clearly not.
We don't know why he was traded, for all we know his Great Aunt Mable could live in Melbourne and George could be her favourite great nephew and her one request in her declining years was to live her time out with George and his son! That's highly unlikely but it's just as likely as your thoughts on retiring Joey would have meant we could keep George, the fact is we don't know!
I really liked George and what he brought to the team and I didn't want him to go either, but he's gone now, we can't change it so we have to accept it.

But it's just my opinion, and others clearly agree. I tried to "move on" and use Hewett's player thread for purely positive vibes, just recognising what he was doing at his new club without dwelling on what we did (or didn't) do. And every time I tried it would just get derailed, because there were plenty of others who shared the same angst regarding the Hewett trade.

And whilst I agree that we can't change it, we can't change anything on here.

With all due respect to the fine folk of this institution, we are all just nobodies with opinions. If we refrained from giving our opinions on things that we couldn't change, then we might as well pack up and shut this site down. There'd be no need for match preview threads, since none of us can change or have any control over team selection. There'd be no need for autopsy threads, since none of us can change or have any control over what happens during the game. There'd be no need for the draft thread, since none of us can change or have any control over which kid we end up taking.

But it's just my opinion, and others clearly agree. I tried to "move on" and use Hewett's player thread for purely positive vibes, just recognising what he was doing at his new club without dwelling on what we did (or didn't) do. And every time I tried it would just get derailed, because there were plenty of others who shared the same angst regarding the Hewett trade.

And whilst I agree that we can't change it, we can't change anything on here.

With all due respect to the fine folk of this institution, we are all just nobodies with opinions. If we refrained from giving our opinions on things that we couldn't change, then we might as well pack up and shut this site down. There'd be no need for match preview threads, since none of us can change or have any control over team selection. There'd be no need for autopsy threads, since none of us can change or have any control over what happens during the game. There'd be no need for the draft thread, since none of us can change or have any control over which kid we end up taking.
My two cents worth. I reckon George, Buddy, Heeney, Mills and quite a few others were very back dated deals. We were up for quite a few years and in 2014 and 2016 in grand finals. YEven in 2018 we were a chance. you do not get that far on just drafting. You trade in players and pay players more to get that elusive flag.

I think we had quite a few of our players, the younger ones still on our list on backdated deals. With the advent of gun players coming through the draft in recent years the backdated deals were looking expensive. Out goes Allir. Out goes Hewett and the traitor. And now we are here today.

Ha ha ! I get treated by the Carlton Physio every Friday. Running 100,000km’s in your lifetime will do that so it’s a non negotiable as a senile old man ! But can tell you with confidence that Mills, Warner, Heeney, Gulden and Florent’s backs and durability do not have the question mark over them that Georgie Boys does. Love George and his combative game but give me the class of the amigos afore mentioned any day of the week. Oh ! Throw McInerney and Campbell in there for good measure and there had to be a sacrificial lamb.

Some people here just don’t like being wrong do they ?

Fact is there is no right or wrong yet. Its been 5 games.

If we wanted to crown an outcome after 5 games then Buddy Franklin would have been a massively overpaid dud who went down as possibly the biggest blunder by any club in AFL history.

Fact is there is no right or wrong yet. Its been 5 games.

If we wanted to crown an outcome after 5 games then Buddy Franklin would have been a massively overpaid dud who went down as possibly the biggest blunder by any club in AFL history.
Is the Buddy the topic here ? While we are at it though are you seriously claiming what he has produced in 5 games this year at 35 taking in everything he has done in the past 9 years he would be considered a dud and also a massive blunder by the club ? Are you serious ? What have you been watching ?

Is the Buddy the topic here ? While we are at it though are you seriously claiming what he has produced in 5 games this year at 35 taking in everything he has done in the past 9 years he would be considered a dud and also a massive blunder by the club ? Are you serious ? What have you been watching ?

I meant 2014

Ha ha ! I get treated by the Carlton Physio every Friday. Running 100,000km’s in your lifetime will do that so it’s a non negotiable as a senile old man ! But can tell you with confidence that Mills, Warner, Heeney, Gulden and Florent’s backs and durability do not have the question mark over them that Georgie Boys does. Love George and his combative game but give me the class of the amigos afore mentioned any day of the week. Oh ! Throw McInerney and Campbell in there for good measure and there had to be a sacrificial lamb.
Nothing against Georgie boy of course. We are just spreading the love to good luck. Oh it is Carlton this time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That 'Chad & swans youngsters' thread on the main board is infuriating.

Vic-based club supporters: "we're happy to have a national competition, as long as we can retain our advantages, Sydney, you and your interstate counterparts are welcome to remain in the comp, as long as you're happy to remain in the bottom 8 and act as a feeder club as you develop Victorian players for us to poach when they start hitting their peak. What, implement measures to level the playing field, that's going way too far, what a preposterous suggestion, back in your box."

Has a swans academy player won a best and fairest or made all Australian or played in a premiership yet ?
Only two awards in AFL a player from the Sydney Swans academy have been:
  • Rising Star (Mills, 2016)
  • Mark of the Year (Heeney, 2018)

That's it

That 'Chad & swans youngsters' thread on the main board is infuriating.

Vic-based club supporters: "we're happy to have a national competition, as long as we can retain our advantages, Sydney, you and your interstate counterparts are welcome to remain in the comp, as long as you're happy to remain in the bottom 8 and act as a feeder club as you develop Victorian players for us to poach when they start hitting their peak. What, implement measures to level the playing field, that's going way too far, what a preposterous suggestion, back in your box."
Has the sooky piece of s**t Meeseeks addressed my post around what development pathways he suggests would be available to junior footballers in the northern states if they got rid of the academies yet?

Gutless wonder won't address it because he knows the league has no option other than to keep the academies as the AFL are not doing their job in creating viable pathways themselves.

Why isn’t there a thread for the lions

Takes days to come

Why can’t we have a changes thread or something in the meantime straight after the game
Bonz is working on it now.

Did we spoil you lot last year by having the threads up immediately after the game? Bonz is doing me a favour as I was originally down for the this preview - so he's doing it without too much lead time at all.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back