Preview Potential 2019 retirees

Remove this Banner Ad

Sandi and Ballas from Freo, Kersten maybe an injury retirement

Mundy is 0 chance, he is playing amazing footy, rated 6th in the AFL for this season.

Richard Douglas
David Mackay
Andy otten
Sam Jacobs
Eddie betts- highly unlikely contracted for next year but might decided to pull the pin if the club misses the finals

Luke Hodge- Certain to retire.
Stef Martin- Turns 33 late this year, IMO time to move past Stef and put more responsibility on the Big O.

Also super cheap stop gap like he is right now

We have Hurn and Kennedy 32, Jetta, Schofield, Masten 30, Redden, Shuey, Naitanui 29. The 3 30 year olds are the only guys unsigned as far as I know.

It's possible that one or two might be pushed towards retirement or just not offered a new contract but all those guys offer something and the ones that aren't key players aren't on huge contracts.

Has Roughead intimated that he wants to retire a one club man? I have no doubt the Hawks won’t offer him another contract, but I could easily see him playing again next year for a club like Gold Coast in a similar leadership role to Hodge at Brisbane.
He had the option last year to leave as Gold Coast were interested but wanted to stay at Hawthorn knowing his spot wasnt gauranteed and would go from 1 year contract to another if continued. I suspect he'll stay a one club man.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kade Simpson was once the most durable player in the league but now he's picking up injuries and missing games from soreness. I'd say his great career ends this year.
Dale Thomas was in good form last year and early this season, probably one of our better players but his relationship with the club may have soured lately.
Matthew Lobbe is done I'd say.
I reckon Murphy will play one more year.

As we approach the second half of the year who do we expect to announce retirement and have farewell games

I’ve listed the below as who I think will retire, some more likely than others but will keep track as year progresses

Burgoyne
Simpson
Lewis
Wells
Hodge
Morris
Sandilands
McVeigh
Mundy
Rishcitelli
Scott Thompson
Shane Mumford
Jarryd Roughead
Brett Deledio
Lynden Dunn
Dale Thomas
Kieren Jack
Ballantyne
Nick smith
Armitage
Chris Masten
Sam Wright
Been quiet on the retirement front with a lot of above names still

We have Hurn and Kennedy 32, Jetta, Schofield, Masten 30, Redden, Shuey, Naitanui 29. The 3 30 year olds are the only guys unsigned as far as I know.

It's possible that one or two might be pushed towards retirement or just not offered a new contract but all those guys offer something and the ones that aren't key players aren't on huge contracts.
Wow Jetta is 30? Time really does fly

Remove this Banner Ad

Back