Potential best 22 for 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Do you think TMac has it in him to prove the FC wrong in 2021 and have a crack?

I wouldn't mind seeing him at CHB which will free up Lever

B - Hibberd, May, Lever
HB - Rivers, T McDonald, Salem
C - Langdon, Viney, Fritsch
HF - Vandenberg, Weideman, Brayshaw
F - Pickett, Brown, Melksham
Foll - Gawn, Petracca, Oliver
Int - Jackson, Hunt, Spargo, Hore

How many teams play a big enough forward line to have May and TMac in defense? Geelong and West Coat maybe (don't think you need a big on Darling personally)

B: Hibberd May Rivers
HB: Lever Tomlinson Salem
C: Langdon Viney Hunt
HF: Melksham Weideman Harmes
F: Pickett Brown Fritsch
R: Gawn Petracca Oliver
IC: Jackson Brayshaw Spargo Hore

Picking that half forward line was painful. It's a revolving door position I feel. No-one seems to be able to cement themselves in those spots out of Melksham, Spargo, ANB, AVB, Hunt etc.
I've got Harmes at HFF but I'd ideally like to see him be the one to push up and play that tagging midfield role which he did so well in 2018. If he can't do that well, then maybe defensive forward? If he can't play either of those roles well this year, then I'm not sure what to do with him.
Hunt I have a personal bias for, but I'd love to see him have a crack on a wing, find space, and run and carry. Get the ball 15+ times a game. I'd like to see him get fitter like Langdon to at least try it out. If that doesn't work, then he can go to HFF, Salem tries the wing, Hore in for Salem.
Big year for Melksham. Wonder if they experiment with him in a different position this year. He's actually an ok user, but rarely got it this year. If he stays in the forward line for the same results as 2020 then he shouldn't be getting a game.
I want to see Lever be a genuine third man. I like him, but he was better at the Crows I feel. They allowed him to be third man up. Tomlinson, sorry mate, but your wing dreams are over. He's an ok enough second tall defender though. Reminds me a bit of ol' Nathan Bock - don't know why! He needs to play a role and free up Lever.
Fritsch - $hitload of goal kicking practice please.
Pickett I hope he goes back to basics a bit more in his second year. The flashy stuff will come naturally, but I'd love to see him try to get it consistently at least 10 times a game this year, aim for 3 tackles a game and 25-30 goals for the year. He's a good user, but just needs to get it in his hands!
They're my 2021 wishes.

Eh, seems like people want him to be a winger but he's not particularly quick or agile and his foot skills are horrific.

He provides run and link up. Don't think his skills are as bad as you make out either.

I'm really not convinced on Baker. Don't see much there

I reckon he's shown just enough to persevere with next year at least, he's been starved of opportunity until the second half of this year, so we don't have a whole lot to go on. Would rather him than Jones or ANB, and those guys were getting regular gigs this year.

I reckon he's shown just enough to persevere with next year at least, he's been starved of opportunity until the second half of this year, so we don't have a whole lot to go on. Would rather him than Jones or ANB, and those guys were getting regular gigs this year.
Yeah I'm not writing him off, just think he's probably about 25-30 on out list imo.

FB: Hibberd May Lockhart
HB: Lever Tomlinson Rivers
C: Langdon Brayshaw Salem
HF: Petracca Weideman Fritsch
FF: Jackson B. Brown Pickett
RUC: Gawn Oliver Viney
INT: Spargo Sparrow Hunt Melksham

EMERG: Harmes vandenBerg Hore Baker

DEPTH: Jones T. McDonald Petty Neal-Bullen Smith Jetta Jordon Bedford M. Brown Chandler Nietschke Bradtke

I understand list sizes will be trimmed, but probably only slightly. Still guessing we use 3-4 selections in the draft (18, 19, 28, 50). Definitely need to go for some more outside run and possibly a small-medium forward with those early spots and just like with Rivers/Jacko/Pickett, I'm sure they can break into the 22.

Fringe/Emergencies/Depth:

• Spargo - Seemed to do enough in 20' to likely be a walk up start to the 22 next year.
  • Sparrow - I rate him long term to be that tagging MID/FWD.
  • Hunt - See Spargo.
  • Melksham - Played all games, but my god he went backwards just like T-Mac, Jetta, etc. Needs to change up his game or I reckon the end will be near for him. But anything can happen like with Hibberd.
  • Harmes - Either play him up forward or as a tagger like he was in the past, or don't play him at all. We probably should have sussed a trade to Norf for example.
  • vandenBerg - Probably plays Round 1, and I get it that he's in the team as the bash and crash MID, but he frustrates the hell out of me with his basic skill errors which had often led to turnovers/opposition goals in 20'.
  • Hore - Had he not been injured in 20', I can imagine he would have put pressure on the likes of Lockhart for that last spot down back. Has done some really good things in the past, and hope he'll be fit and firing next year.
  • Baker - Showed glimpses in those last few games this year. Curious to see whether we run with him and Langdon as the wingers, move Salem back and take one of the interchanges out of the team.
  • Jones - Either play him up forward or don't play him. Should have done the honorable thing and hung the boots up. Veteran of the club and love the loyalty as he had countless opportunities to leave & stuck by us through the toughest years... but it's time to call it a day. Can imagine the club will gift him games and get him to 300 which I don't think is a great idea.
  • T. McDonald - Needs to change something in his game to get back into the 22. If we don't get a Preuss replacement, I can imagine one of the ideas maybe to play him as a RUC/FWD or RUC/DEF and allow a bit more rotation between the likes of Tomlinson/Jackson/etc.
  • Petty - Really liked him up forward at the end of 2019 when injuries struck. Will be another interesting one once he's back from injury like Hore. Perhaps provides that pressure on our 3 tall forwards to perform.
  • Neal-Bullen - Now we're getting into if an emergency break glass territory. If it was a stronger draft this year, I would have said ship him to Crows for a 4th rounder. If they do heaps of rotational changes based on fitness though, I imagine he may get a couple games.
  • J. Smith - Had glimpses, but I think Lockhart/Hore have that spot down back. Let the bloke play at Casey and narrow down what possie he plays.
  • Jetta - I hope he has a Hibberd style resurgence in form, but I dunno if it'll happen.
  • Jordon - Was supposedly close to a debut before injury. One to watch in 2021. I know he's an inside MID type, but there's plenty of blokes in the 22 he could put pressure on for a spot.
  • Bedford - Showed how raw he was in the games he played. Casey.
  • M. Brown - Wouldn't be surprised if he's delisted. Played in 3 wins, but didn't seem to set the world on fire. Ben Brown into the team, Petty back from injury and T. McDonald maybe turning his form around would leave Mitch as surplus tall forward stock.
  • Chandler - Supposedly they're training him as a Jetta style small defender to see if he has more to offer. Continue the experiment at Casey this year and suss out whether he's worth retaining in 22'.
  • Nietschke - Probably the most interesting of the entire list. If he doesn't get struck down by injury once again (surely this guy deserves a break), I'm curious to see what he does at Casey and hopefully if he shows something, he'll crack into the 22 for a debut. Apparently quick, versatile and can play all around the ground. Another one to watch in 21'.
  • Bradtke - I get the feeling this will be the final year of this project/experiment. Definitely needs to show something at Casey in 21' to put his hand up to be ready if Gawn goes down and maybe develop a partnership with Jacko if necessary.

FB: Hibberd May Lockhart
HB: Lever Tomlinson Rivers
C: Langdon Brayshaw Salem
HF: Petracca Weideman Fritsch
FF: Jackson B. Brown Pickett
RUC: Gawn Oliver Viney
INT: Spargo Sparrow Hunt Melksham

EMERG: Harmes vandenBerg Hore Baker

DEPTH: Jones T. McDonald Petty Neal-Bullen Smith Jetta Jordon Bedford M. Brown Chandler Nietschke Bradtke

I understand list sizes will be trimmed, but probably only slightly. Still guessing we use 3-4 selections in the draft (18, 19, 28, 50). Definitely need to go for some more outside run and possibly a small-medium forward with those early spots and just like with Rivers/Jacko/Pickett, I'm sure they can break into the 22.

Fringe/Emergencies/Depth:

• Spargo - Seemed to do enough in 20' to likely be a walk up start to the 22 next year.
  • Sparrow - I rate him long term to be that tagging MID/FWD.
  • Hunt - See Spargo.
  • Melksham - Played all games, but my god he went backwards just like T-Mac, Jetta, etc. Needs to change up his game or I reckon the end will be near for him. But anything can happen like with Hibberd.
  • Harmes - Either play him up forward or as a tagger like he was in the past, or don't play him at all. We probably should have sussed a trade to Norf for example.
  • vandenBerg - Probably plays Round 1, and I get it that he's in the team as the bash and crash MID, but he frustrates the hell out of me with his basic skill errors which had often led to turnovers/opposition goals in 20'.
  • Hore - Had he not been injured in 20', I can imagine he would have put pressure on the likes of Lockhart for that last spot down back. Has done some really good things in the past, and hope he'll be fit and firing next year.
  • Baker - Showed glimpses in those last few games this year. Curious to see whether we run with him and Langdon as the wingers, move Salem back and take one of the interchanges out of the team.
  • Jones - Either play him up forward or don't play him. Should have done the honorable thing and hung the boots up. Veteran of the club and love the loyalty as he had countless opportunities to leave & stuck by us through the toughest years... but it's time to call it a day. Can imagine the club will gift him games and get him to 300 which I don't think is a great idea.
  • T. McDonald - Needs to change something in his game to get back into the 22. If we don't get a Preuss replacement, I can imagine one of the ideas maybe to play him as a RUC/FWD or RUC/DEF and allow a bit more rotation between the likes of Tomlinson/Jackson/etc.
  • Petty - Really liked him up forward at the end of 2019 when injuries struck. Will be another interesting one once he's back from injury like Hore. Perhaps provides that pressure on our 3 tall forwards to perform.
  • Neal-Bullen - Now we're getting into if an emergency break glass territory. If it was a stronger draft this year, I would have said ship him to Crows for a 4th rounder. If they do heaps of rotational changes based on fitness though, I imagine he may get a couple games.
  • J. Smith - Had glimpses, but I think Lockhart/Hore have that spot down back. Let the bloke play at Casey and narrow down what possie he plays.
  • Jetta - I hope he has a Hibberd style resurgence in form, but I dunno if it'll happen.
  • Jordon - Was supposedly close to a debut before injury. One to watch in 2021. I know he's an inside MID type, but there's plenty of blokes in the 22 he could put pressure on for a spot.
  • Bedford - Showed how raw he was in the games he played. Casey.
  • M. Brown - Wouldn't be surprised if he's delisted. Played in 3 wins, but didn't seem to set the world on fire. Ben Brown into the team, Petty back from injury and T. McDonald maybe turning his form around would leave Mitch as surplus tall forward stock.
  • Chandler - Supposedly they're training him as a Jetta style small defender to see if he has more to offer. Continue the experiment at Casey this year and suss out whether he's worth retaining in 22'.
  • Nietschke - Probably the most interesting of the entire list. If he doesn't get struck down by injury once again (surely this guy deserves a break), I'm curious to see what he does at Casey and hopefully if he shows something, he'll crack into the 22 for a debut. Apparently quick, versatile and can play all around the ground. Another one to watch in 21'.
  • Bradtke - I get the feeling this will be the final year of this project/experiment. Definitely needs to show something at Casey in 21' to put his hand up to be ready if Gawn goes down and maybe develop a partnership with Jacko if necessary.

Hore is a beast and best 22 imo when fit, but I'm having trouble arguing with your backline named all the same.

Tracca can play half forward this year if we want gussy starting at centre bounces with viney and oliver. It worked for us in 18

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do you think TMac has it in him to prove the FC wrong in 2021 and have a crack?

I wouldn't mind seeing him at CHB which will free up Lever

B - Hibberd, May, Lever
HB - Rivers, T McDonald, Salem
C - Langdon, Viney, Fritsch
HF - Vandenberg, Weideman, Brayshaw
F - Pickett, Brown, Melksham
Foll - Gawn, Petracca, Oliver
Int - Jackson, Hunt, Spargo, Hore
McDonald fo

B: Hore - May - Petty
HB: Tomlinson - Lever - Hibberd
C: Langdon - Oliver - Salem
HF: Harmes - B Brown - Melksham
F: Fritsch - Weideman - Pickett
R: Gawn - Petracca - Viney
I: Brayshaw - Jackson - Rivers - Spargo

Still unconvinced about our mob. That could change if Taylor pulls something out of his arse on draft night. I can only think if we’d managed to offload T McDonald we might’ve been in the hunt for the likes of J Higgins and Witherden who ended up at their new clubs for relatively little.

B: Hore - May - Petty
HB: Tomlinson - Lever - Hibberd
C: Langdon - Oliver - Salem
HF: Harmes - B Brown - Melksham
F: Fritsch - Weideman - Pickett
R: Gawn - Petracca - Viney
I: Brayshaw - Jackson - Rivers - Spargo

Still unconvinced about our mob. That could change if Taylor pulls something out of his arse on draft night. I can only think if we’d managed to offload T McDonald we might’ve been in the hunt for the likes of J Higgins and Witherden who ended up at their new clubs for relatively little.
That is a remarkably tall backline, needs a lockhart for Hore or Petty. Would only work against West Coast and Geelong maybe.

That is a remarkably tall backline, needs a lockhart for Hore or Petty. Would only work against West Coast and Geelong maybe.
No doubt there are holes in the team/list. A lot of it depends on the draft now. If Taylor can have a similar yield to Jackson, Pickett, Rivers (or better yet Port 2018 with Rozee, Duursma & Butters) it could make a hell of a difference. With reference to the backline; Hore can play small and Tomlinson is more a rebounder than genuine key but I’m not really interested in debating the merits of fringe player A over fringe player B.

It’s not ridiculous to deduce that the best part of 1.5 million shekels will be paid to the likes of T Mac, ANB & AVB to play the majority of the 2021 season in the NEAWTFFL league for Casey. That money could've been spent on the likes of J Higgins, Phillips & Witherden lining up in the best side each week. Our depth really worries me...

No doubt there are holes in the team/list. A lot of it depends on the draft now. If Taylor can have a similar yield to Jackson, Pickett, Rivers (or better yet Port 2018 with Rozee, Duursma & Butters) it could make a hell of a difference. With reference to the backline; Hore can play small and Tomlinson is more a rebounder than genuine key but I’m not really interested in debating the merits of fringe player A over fringe player B.

It’s not ridiculous to deduce that the best part of 1.5 million shekels will be paid to the likes of T Mac, ANB & AVB to play the majority of the 2021 season in the NEAWTFFL league for Casey. That money could've been spent on the likes of J Higgins, Phillips & Witherden lining up in the best side each week. Our depth really worries me...
Our depth is definitely our biggest issue, but if we get 3 good draftees and 1 or 2 of Spargo, Petty, Baker, Smith, Sparrow, Jordan breakout it suddenly looks a whole lot better.

Our piss poor management of the salary cap has been an issue, particularly with contracts signed in the 2018 off season, it’s was addressed to some extent this year but its a killer having 2 million odd dollars of your salary cap contribute so little as we did this year.

Man this boards confusing, we are paying too much to depth players and our salary cap management sucks, but then we should trade in every single depth player on high wages.
Smart.

Who gives a flying * about depth, if you have 10 injuries to your best players no depth is going to cover it and if your best players are playing well and fit then the bottom 6-8 players are just bodies.

Would be ideal to have a 3rd tall to intercept which is what Lever is good at

Would be ideal for the opposition too , just run all your play thru TMacs opponent coz he can't keep up on a lead.

Man this boards confusing, we are paying too much to depth players and our salary cap management sucks, but then we should trade in every single depth player on high wages.
Smart.

Who gives a flying fu** about depth, if you have 10 injuries to your best players no depth is going to cover it and if your best players are playing well and fit then the bottom 6-8 players are just bodies.

Also we should be trading for star players even if we have no currency its a failure not getting star players. Just look at Essendon getting guys like Dunkley to agree to come to them then refusing to stump up a worthy trade thats what we should be doing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back