Potential best 22 for 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Heads up, putting TMac in the back pocket won't kill your borden.
Don’t bet on it. I poured a measure of gin then spent 10 minutes picturing TMac back pocket. Some of the most fulfilling times I’ve had this year

Don’t bet on it. I poured a measure of gin then spent 10 minutes picturing TMac back pocket. Some of the most fulfilling times I’ve had this year

How many of the 7 or 8 goals kicked on him were because of his lack of mobility? Joel Smith would have kept TMacs opponent goaless. Smh.

Our backline is much better coached now than it was when TMac last played there, not to mention the supporting cattle is better. If he doesn’t make it there he’s out of the team, but it’s worth a shot IMO because Tomlinson can be valuable up the ground.

How many of the 7 or 8 goals kicked on him were because of his lack of mobility? Joel Smith would have kept TMacs opponent goaless. Smh.
Yeah but you’re confusing tragically devastating with boring there, A11

FB: Hibberd May Lockhart
HB: Lever Tomlinson Rivers
C: Langdon Brayshaw Salem
HF: Petracca Weideman Fritsch
FF: Jackson B. Brown Pickett
RUC: Gawn Oliver Viney
INT: vandenburg Laurie Harmes Hunt

I reckon Laurie might play a few more games in year 1 than Bowey, and I still hold out hope that Petty is going to be an AFL standard key position player at either end.

Have a new series going on our website in preparation of the 2021 season. Running through all the club's lists and best 22s and Melbourne has just dropped. Always feel like a supporters' judgement is one of the best going around so give us a follow, check it out and let us know your thoughts!

Hey guys, fantasy question here.

Just wondering if the Dees have any draftees from either 2020, or the last couple years who are doing well in the intra-club games/scratch match from this week. Would you expect them to be best 22?

Thanks in advance.

Just wondering if the Dees have any draftees from either 2020, or the last couple years who are doing well in the intra-club games/scratch match from this week. Would you expect them to be best 22?

Thanks in advance.
Trent Rivers is your boy.

B: Lockhart May Rivers
HB: Hibberd Lever Salem
C: Jones Viney Langdon
HF: Fritsch Weideman* Melksham
F: Jackson Brown* Pickett
R: Gawn Petracca Oliver
Int: Brayshaw Harmes TMac Hunt

* for obvious reasons. I would be bringing in Chandler and ANB.

R1 side (not best 22)

FB: Hibberd May Tomlinson
HB: Salem Lever Rivers
C: Baker Viney Langdon
HF: ANB TMac Fritsch
FF: Spargo Petracca Chandler

R: Gawn Oliver Brayshaw

I/C: Jackson Harmes Lockhart Bowey

Weideman, Brown, Pickett, Petty, Sparrow, Melksham the notable ‘exclusions’. Need to see some good signs from Harmes if he’s going to keep his spot. Forward line obviously a concern but given we have NFI about anything I’m just rewarding players on practice match form. Not sure that they’d pick both Lockhart and Bowey, in which case I’d bring Petty in as a swing man.

Thanks in advance.
Potentially Bowey or James Jordon the only real rookies who are a chance. Not very good chances tho

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah just watched the vision on Bowey in the 2nds game. Looked incredibly composed and quick too. Great leg on him, and seemed to make right decisions, which is something we lack. Will be interesting to see where we play him. I'd love to see him on a wing or front of centre delivering the ball. Him and Spargo could make a great combo for delivery. Both smart ball users. It was a 2nds game, so hopefully we see how he goes in a senior match where the pace will be quicker and the match ups will be tougher. But great signs for Bowey. I thought Laurie will be the better of the two, but might have to rethink that..

I think from a development starting in defence will work out well for him in the long run. Has already shown at junior level that he has the brain to play wing and half forward, if he improves his defensive game he’ll be better for it if he moves up the ground later. For now though we have no shortage of promising young small forward flankers in Spargo, Kossie, Laurie and potentially Chandler (who isn’t as skilled as the others but seems to have a better tank) so clearly they’ve identified Bowey as the one with the most scope to add other strings to his bow, and our small defender talent is undoubtedly thinner (just Rivers coming through and while I really rate Lockhart hes already mid-20s and the coaches don’t seem to have much faith in him).

From what ive seen J.Jordan has to play or at least Bowey. If Viney misses then J.Jordan definitely will play round 1

B: Hibberd - May - Lever
HB: Hibberd - Tomlinson - Rivers (Bowey)
C: Brayshaw - Viney - E.Langdon (Harmes)
HF: Melksham - T.Mcdonald - (?)
F: K.Pickett - L.Jackson - Fritsch
R: Gawn - Oliver - Petracca (J.Jordan)

One of ANB, Spargo, Lockhart or Chandleer

If Lockhart has been more backline then he probably gets picked ahead of Bowey

Teams will reveal more tomorrow on Sunday

I think from a development starting in defence will work out well for him in the long run. Has already shown at junior level that he has the brain to play wing and half forward, if he improves his defensive game he’ll be better for it if he moves up the ground later. For now though we have no shortage of promising young small forward flankers in Spargo, Kossie, Laurie and potentially Chandler (who isn’t as skilled as the others but seems to have a better tank) so clearly they’ve identified Bowey as the one with the most scope to add other strings to his bow, and our small defender talent is undoubtedly thinner (just Rivers coming through and while I really rate Lockhart hes already mid-20s and the coaches don’t seem to have much faith in him).
Be ain't gonna be a long term small defender mate, no one comes through the juniors as a small defender it's where wingers or mids go to die.
Medium defenders with some toe can play on the smalls, stupid to have a bloke in defence who can get out marked by school children especially when we have Salem, Rivers and Lockhart as make shift defenders aswell.

It's why I hate this clubs obsession with kickers in defence, it's nearly impossible to score from the back half in modern footy and we especially concede shitloads from balls spoiled to ground and taken by Oppo smalls. So to solve that we add Jayden Hunt who is one of the worst positional players I've ever seen.

We need to find defenders that can mark the ball above average for their height.

Hurn, Vlastuin, Stewart etc. We only have 2 blokes that go for their marks in defence. Richmond have 5. That's what we need.

Last edited:
Be ain't gonna be a long term small defender mate, no one comes through the juniors as a small defender it's where wingers or mids go to die.
Medium defenders with some toe can play on the smalls, stupid to have a bloke in defence who can get out marked by school children especially when we have Salem, Rivers and Lockhart as make shift defenders aswell.

It's why I hate this clubs obsession with kickers in defence, it's nearly impossible to score from the back half in modern footy and we especially concede shitloads from balls spoiled to ground and taken by Oppo smalls. So to solve that we add Jayden Hunt who is one of the worst positional players I've ever seen.

We need to find defenders that can mark the ball above average for their height.

Hurn, Vlastuin, Stewart etc. We only have 2 blokes that go for their marks in defence. Richmond have 5. That's what we need.
I didn’t say he was going to be a long term defender, just that he’ll be a better player if he learns to defend.

Intrigued as to how you reached this conclusion?
Because fox footy have done multiple multiple pieces on it from champion data.
The average score for each team in the last few years from the back 50 is 10 points I've posted this about 10 times.

20 years ago teams scored from like 42% of rebounds from defensive 50
Last 5 years it's like 8% or something ridiculous

60% of scores in modern footy are from forward half turnovers.

Thanks. What about Rivers - likely to feature much at senior level?

Looked better each week last year.
Yes, should get plenty of time around HBF. Depending on whether Salem is moved up the ground might get more kicking responsibility in the back half (assume this is a DT/SC inquiry?)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back