Strategy Potential finals eligible players

Remove this Banner Ad

It's the half way point of the season and I thought I'd go over who could be eligible for VFL finals this season. I'm assuming any player currently fit, in the current 22 and have 7 or more games will be ineligible. The basic rules are:

1. Have to have played at least 1 VFL regular season game
2. Can't have played more than 10 AFL games
3. If has played less than 10 AFL games, but has played after July 1 in the AFL, he must have played 6 VFL games minimum
4. If a player has missed 10 consecutive VFL matches they are eligible to play as an exception to the above (Not 100% on this one however).

So with all that in mind, these players could play VFL finals:

8. Martin Gleeson: Should be eligible if he plays a game, but still 2 weeks away minimum so. Unlikely.
10. Aaron Francis: Will be eligible.
14. Jordan Ridley: Will be eligible.
15. Josh Green: Needs to miss 1 AFL game.
19. Kobe Mutch: Will be eligible.
20. Jackson Merrett: Will be eligible.
22. Matthew Leuenberger: Will be eligible.
24. Jordan Houlahan: Will be eligible.
30. Brandon Zerk-Thatcher: Will be eligible.
32. Travis Colyer: Needs 3 of the last 4 VFL games. Unlikely.
33: Jayden Laverde: Will be eligible.
34. Jake Long: Will be eligible.
36. Michael Hartley: Will be eligible
37. Dylan Clarke: Will be eligible.
38. Sam Draper: Will be eligible.
39. Trent Mynott: Will be eligible.
40. Luke Lavender: Will be eligible.
41. Ben McNiece: Will be eligible.

Let's remove all of the unlikelies, and say we only have one of Brown or McKernan. The possible side would end up being:

Ridley - Hartley - McNiece
Redman - BZT - Francis
Merrett - Mutch - Long
Houlahan - Lavender - Laverde
Younan - Leuenberger - Green
Draper - Clarke - Mynott
Hocking - Boyse - Hind - Heppell
Lazzaro

That is an incredibly good side. If we somehow manage to get both Brown and Smack eligible, well, good luck defence's. I'll try to update this as much as possible when I have the time. Of course injuries happen as well.

Last edited:
It's the half way point of the season and I thought I'd go over who could be eligible for VFL finals this season. I'm assuming any player currently fit, in the current 22 and have 7 or more games will be ineligible. The basic rules are:

3. If has played less than 10 AFL games, but has played after July 1 in the AFL, he must have played 6 VFL games minimum
4. If a player has missed 10 consecutive VFL matches they are eligible to play as an exception to the above (Not 100% on this one however).

3. Darcy Parish: only if he fails to play AFL for the rest of the year. Unlikely.
8. Martin Gleeson: If he misses this week and plays one VFL game after returning, he should be eligible.
10. Aaron Francis: Has played 7 VFL and can play a max of 10 AFL, is eligible.
14. Jordan Ridley: Needs to play 1 VFL and play 7 or less AFL for the rest of the year.
15. Josh Green: Needs 4 or less games of AFL and 3 more games of VFL. Unlikely.
19. Kobe Mutch: Needs 7 or less AFL games and at least 2 more games of VFL.
20. Jackson Merrett: 8 or less AFL games, which seems pretty likely
22. Matthew Leuenberger: Will be eligible
23. David Myers: 4 or less AFL games and at least 5 VFL games. Unlikely
24. Jordan Houlahan: Will be eligible
27. Mason Redman: Will be eligible if he misses 1 AFL game.
28. Mitch Brown: Needs to play 5 or less AFL games and play 2 more VFL. 50/50
30. Brandon Zerk-Thatcher: Will be eligible
32. Travis Colyer: Needs 4 more VFL games. Unlikely.
33: Jayden Laverde: Needs 4 or less AFL games and at least 3 more VFL. Unlikely.
34. Jake Long: Will be eligible
36. Michael Hartley: Needs less than 6 AFL games and at least 2 VFL games.
37. Dylan Clarke: Will be eligible if he misses 1 AFL game.
38. Sam Draper: Will be eligible
39. Trent Mynott: Will be eligible
40. Luke Lavender: Will be eligible
41. Ben McNiece: Needs less than 7 AFL games
44. Shaun McKernan: Needs 5 or less AFL games and at least 3 more VFL games. 50/50
49. Matt Dea: Needs 4 or less AFL games and at least 4 more VFL games. Unlikely.

Let's remove all of the unlikelies, and say we only have one of Brown or McKernan. The possible side would end up being:

Gleeson - Hartley - McNiece
Ridley - BZT - Francis
Redman - Mutch - Long
Houlahan - Lavender - Merrett
Younan - Brown/McKernan - Leuenberger
Draper - Clarke - Mynott
Sheahan

That is an incredibly good side. If we somehow manage to get both Brown and Smack eligible, well, good luck defence's. I'll try to update this as much as possible when I have the time. Of course injuries happen as well.

Having a good side on paper is one thing; Having a side that is used to playing together and therefore has cohesion is another. Hopefully this year we have both. Knock on wood we have a small injury list in the back half of the year and we don't have to cotton ball any kids; VFL finals experience is gold for young kids.

Updated. So basically:

Ridley, Mutch and McNiece need to miss the next two games
Hartley needs to miss the next 3
Laverde needs to play 2 more VFL games after the Hammy

So there are only question marks around Gleeson, Colyer, Laverde (should be eligible), Green (should be eligible) and McNiece. If we lose either of the next two in the AFL I think McNiece should probably get a "rest" or something similar to allow him to qualify for the finals. Hopefully Colyer gets dropped this week.

8. Martin Gleeson: Should be eligible if he plays a game, but still 2 weeks away minimum so. Unlikely.
10. Aaron Francis: Will be eligible.
14. Jordan Ridley: Will be eligible.
15. Josh Green: Needs to miss 2 AFL games.
19. Kobe Mutch: Will be eligible.
20. Jackson Merrett: Will be eligible.
22. Matthew Leuenberger: Will be eligible.
24. Jordan Houlahan: Will be eligible.
27. Mason Redman: Will be eligible.
30. Brandon Zerk-Thatcher: Will be eligible.
32. Travis Colyer: Needs 3 of the last 4 VFL games. Unlikely.
33: Jayden Laverde: Needs to miss 1 AFL game.
34. Jake Long: Will be eligible.
36. Michael Hartley: Will be eligible
37. Dylan Clarke: Will be eligible.
38. Sam Draper: Will be eligible.
39. Trent Mynott: Will be eligible.
40. Luke Lavender: Will be eligible.
41. Ben McNiece: Needs to miss 1 AFL game.

Ridley - Hartley - McNiece
Redman - BZT - Francis
Merrett - Mutch - Long
Houlahan - Lavender - Laverde
Younan - Leuenberger - Green
Draper - Clarke - Mynott
Lazzaro

Sorry for the intrusion fellow sashers but can someone confirm if Kobe Mitch was the player involved in the Jamie Elliot report and if so does he have a broken eye socket as a result. Only asking because it was raised on twitters last night but there is nothing official anywhere . I assume it is incorrect but it seemed a strange topic to be raised in a public forum

Sorry for the intrusion fellow sashers but can someone confirm if Kobe Mitch was the player involved in the Jamie Elliot report and if so does he have a broken eye socket as a result. Only asking because it was raised on twitters last night but there is nothing official anywhere . I assume it is incorrect but it seemed a strange topic to be raised in a public forum
I've no idea, wasn't able to attend.

Yes, was Mutch.

So there are only question marks around Gleeson, Colyer, Laverde (should be eligible), Green (should be eligible) and McNiece. If we lose either of the next two in the AFL I think McNiece should probably get a "rest" or something similar to allow him to qualify for the finals. Hopefully Colyer gets dropped this week.
So, Laverde is eligible. Gleeson hopefully plays one of the last two games. Green misses against Hawthorne and he's eligible. McNiece isn't a late in tonight and he'll play finals (if we make them). I don't think Stewart can be deemed eligible, but the VFL sometimes makes exceptions. Colyer needs to play the next 3 games in the reserves IMO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back