Mega Thread Potential future father-son selections

Remove this Banner Ad

Imagine the 2030's, you could have Ablett Dangerfield Scarlett Enright Ling Taylor Mackie Wocjinski Milburn Ottens Chapman Johnson Hawkins Duncan etc all running around in the same side, imagine the melts from oppo supporters! (all we need is the Selwood to start having boys too).

The possibility to have Brownless Scott Hocking and Mensch next year is impressive but nowhere near as much as that!
There's also young Oscar Riccardi who is currently 14.

Imagine the 2030's, you could have Ablett Dangerfield Scarlett Enright Ling Taylor Mackie Wocjinski Milburn Ottens Chapman Johnson Hawkins Duncan etc all running around in the same side, imagine the melts from oppo supporters! (all we need is the Selwood to start having boys too).

The possibility to have Brownless Scott Hocking and Mensch next year is impressive but nowhere near as much as that!
More dream than reality ... would be unlikely that all those FS prodigies have enough to make it. With out doing the numbers... my guess it would be longer than 1 player in 10 that has a son good enough to play champs. The of those that are considered good enough to give a chance to , maybe half become players that play a good number of games.
What we should should ensure is that kids who do not make it ..is not because they have had little youth coaching to put a strong foundation on the skills. Here a question for you... the biggest waste of a FS talent? Yes Nathan..but David Clarke would be close if only he had been coached properly early enough ..he played 90 odd games just on raw athletic talent..and little football skills.

He was a state winning high jumper at under 18 level. He has a huge vertical leap. I think his back issues may be why we haven't seen this since
Yeah for sure. It was a West Coast game back in 2012 where he went for big mark, got tunnelled and ****ed his back.
Before that his leap was awesome.

Let's hope they can be spread out a bit how will Wells Jnr be able to find enough picks for all those players.

More dream than reality ... would be unlikely that all those FS prodigies have enough to make it. With out doing the numbers... my guess it would be longer than 1 player in 10 that has a son good enough to play champs. The of those that are considered good enough to give a chance to , maybe half become players that play a good number of games.
What we should should ensure is that kids who do not make it ..is not because they have had little youth coaching to put a strong foundation on the skills. Here a question for you... the biggest waste of a FS talent? Yes Nathan..but David Clarke would be close if only he had been coached properly early enough ..he played 90 odd games just on raw athletic talent..and little football skills.

Nathan for sure had all the talent in the world but just didn't have the desire.

Guys like clarke callan etc were triers but battlers.

Glad to see bews is starting to show real promise.

We need to add a Costa Jr, Cook Jr and Wells Jr to our pool...

And the AFC are already filling out paperwork for FS for GFD - Then need some lessons on etiquitte - he's ours as possession is 9/10ths of the law.

GO Catters

Well at least we all know that George will have better foot skills than Danger when he is 7 now that he's at Geelong, look what Adelaide did to his old man's foot skill.....nothing!!!! :p
Can we call him GFD?

Nathan for sure had all the talent in the world but just didn't have the desire.

Guys like clarke callan etc were triers but battlers.

Glad to see bews is starting to show real promise.

Nathan had the football input as a kid , he had most of the footy nous when he came to the club. Clarke was into skiing (from memory) and with better football inputs as a kid could have been a better player. He played 90 odd games just on shear athleticism.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Billy's boy is blowing the chances of getting a cheapy...:D

And I can hear the sook factory of GFC getting another F/S potentially making noise already. :rolleyes:

But its with this in mind, IMO, that we need to gather some 2018 picks for points as I have a feeling we'll need them to match bids in the event all 4 pan out.

Will be tough for Wells and CO to manage this year, pick what we need and still keep an eye going forward to have enough picks/points to get the FS in teh event that that pan out and are worth selection.

GO Catters

Im sure I'd like , perhaps we would all like to have a FatherSon on the horizon like this kid playing champs this year...

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-06-17/u18-bottomager-lukosius-stars-in-sas-big-win

A kid thats 194 at 16 staring in a year when he is too young to be drafted ... but they are rare. Getting selected for the champs next year will be a good start on the track that he is draftable.

Been watching Lukosius a few times this year and if his progression continues he is quite simply going to be a gun. Like a serious gun. Did something from a footy smarts perspective that I can't remember any kid having the game awareness to do the other day. To match this with his ridiculous athletic abilities means he will be some player I reckon!! Think Nick Riewoldt mark II

Billy's boy is blowing the chances of getting a cheapy...:D

And I can hear the sook factory of GFC getting another F/S potentially making noise already. :rolleyes:

But its with this in mind, IMO, that we need to gather some 2018 picks for points as I have a feeling we'll need them to match bids in the event all 4 pan out.

Will be tough for Wells and CO to manage this year, pick what we need and still keep an eye going forward to have enough picks/points to get the FS in teh event that that pan out and are worth selection.

GO Catters

I think whether we trade our 2018 1st now will tell us a lot of what wells thinks re oscar. Under the bidding system for eg if he gets bid at pick 10 thats 1116 points to match (with the discount) which could either be our 1st round or say 40 43 and 48. If you see wells trade the 18 1st and trade 18 3rd/4th rounders you will know he thinks oscar wil cost an early pick and is gathering points to match.

I think whether we trade our 2018 1st now will tell us a lot of what wells thinks re oscar. Under the bidding system for eg if he gets bid at pick 10 thats 1116 points to match (with the discount) which could either be our 1st round or say 40 43 and 48. If you see wells trade the 18 1st and trade 18 3rd/4th rounders you will know he thinks oscar wil cost an early pick and is gathering points to match.
theres a lot to play out here

one good game doth not maketh the star.

But we will see.

Go Catters

In a way its a cheap way of gaining a R1 pick... if we do not have an R1 , having traded it or used it ... once we match , we then have a R1 pick. It might not be required till 2019 but it would still be good to have a kid rated R1 if it comes about. Personally id say its unlikely that he is R1 atm. 2018 is as thick the dumb and dumber brothers with talent. The kid Rankine could be anything.
In a way if we could trade into rather trading out of it probably be beneficial in 4-5 years time.... so ..its probably why I have reservations about trading out 2018 for smith.

In a way its a cheap way of gaining a R1 pick... if we do not have an R1 , having traded it or used it ... once we match , we then have a R1 pick. It might not be required till 2019 but it would still be good to have a kid rated R1 if it comes about. Personally id say its unlikely that he is R1 atm. 2018 is as thick the dumb and dumber brothers with talent. The kid Rankine could be anything.
In a way if we could trade into rather trading out of it probably be beneficial in 4-5 years time.... so ..its probably why I have reservations about trading out 2018 for smith.

Rankine will need a top 5 pick IMO and i doubt we will have that. I reckon our pick will be 12-14 again. I would prefer if we could trade for hopper/smith without our 2018 1st but if its going to get used on bidding anyway trading it becomes an ok strategy. You watch the main board melt if we get all 4 F/S kids next year (too early to call i know).

Rankine will need a top 5 pick IMO and i doubt we will have that. I reckon our pick will be 12-14 again. I would prefer if we could trade for hopper/smith without our 2018 1st but if its going to get used on bidding anyway trading it becomes an ok strategy. You watch the main board melt if we get all 4 F/S kids next year (too early to call i know).

I know he will be early , and we will not be anywhere near it.. Just a passing comment on the types available. just like you FS's...

On the melts...most only care when the kid has talent. If it was 4 FS's all good enough to have bids on in the top30... and if that happens...yes they can melt and we can delight in melt like we savouring dipped strawberries...
chocmeltstraw.jpeg

If we are keen on say 3 F/S selections next year, how does it work if we go into the draft with say a 2nd and 3rd rounder?

Is there some merit in getting some bang for buck with our 2018 first rounder this year so it isn't used on a F/S next year? Or, does it make it unlikely we miss out on one of them?

If we are keen on say 3 F/S selections next year, how does it work if we go into the draft with say a 2nd and 3rd rounder?

Is there some merit in getting some bang for buck with our 2018 first rounder this year so it isn't used on a F/S next year? Or, does it make it unlikely we miss out on one of them?

Its not so much the number of FS's... but the quality. Roughly the order would be Brownless and Scott then Mensch and then Hocking ...
If Brownless and Scott are rated as the best two kids in the draft P1 and P2 would 5517* 80% = 4413 points ...
If they are barely draftable ..they could be like Bews or Simpson who drew no bids at all.
One really may not know if what you propose is the right course till we start to bed down their worth in 12 months time. We do not even know if Scott prefers us yet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back