Mega Thread Potential future father-son selections

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
Pinching a little bit of info from another subject we appear to have Father/Sons coming up for the foreseeable future, but I’m not sure what years they all slot into

2004 , N.Ablett ????????????????
2005 , Thomas Couch
2006 , Jacob Neal, Che Turner
2007 , Toby Bairstow
2009 , Joe Couch
2010 ,
2011 ,
2012 ,
2013 ,
2014 , Jr. Hinkley

Can anybody add to the list ? Who was the kids in the paper? Eg. Jack Scarlett

The thing that stands out to me is that this could be a huge natural advantage to Geelong if they pump some effort into developing these kids for future years.What have we got now on the list about 4 or 5 F/S,this is good but what about the kids who were eligible and just didn’t standout among the thousands of kid at that 14-17 year age group. Did they talent that was not maximized? If they’d had tuition extra coaching at an earlier age we might they have been good enough? eg. What ever happened to Michael Turners other son Levi? Was he not good enough or was he just in need of a bit extra attention. No question Michael himself would be able to pass on numerous skills but sometimes a Father /Son relationship is not the best coaching relationship. Look at how early they grab kids in heaps of other sports like Tennis , Gymnastics , Swimming. Having a scholorship of sorts would enable their sporting abilities to develop as well as the other areas required these days thru Higher Education eg. Geelong Grammar (Our Schools could be another natural advantage) While the Father/Son rule is around its worth putting money into the kids as we a guaranteed to have them if we want them
TC

Current List of potential FS 2016 and on .............

B Mench ... 2018

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
nananana catman
I think Matty Scarlett was on that track , with Scarlett/Nankervis but unfortuanately for the club he was blessed with a lovely daughter.
Makes one think about how lucky we have been that one of our most famous son had offspring so young.(5 & 29)
Maybe as part of the scholorship there should an introductory service.

Seriously , my thoughts where in this day and age where the mega teams likle Pies,Bombers,WCoast etc have such huge advantages(facilities,TV coverage,sponsors etc) this could be one area we could hope to match them
TC

GeeCat

Premiership Player
Sep 26, 2003
TJBC
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
TDot, LFC
Originally posted by Turbocat
Pinching a little bit of info from another subject we appear to have Father/Sons coming up for the foreseeable future, but I’m not sure what years they all slot into

2004 , N.Ablett ????????????????
2005 , Thomas Couch
2007 , Toby Bairstow
2009 , Joe Couch
2010 ,
2011 ,
2012 ,
2013 ,
2014 , Jr. Hinkley

Can anybody add to the list ? Who was the kids in the paper? Eg. Jack Scarlett

The thing that stands out to me is that this could be a huge natural advantage to Geelong if they pump some effort into developing these kids for future years.What have we got now on the list about 4 or 5 F/S,this is good but what about the kids who were eligible and just didn’t standout among the thousands of kid at that 14-17 year age group. Did they talent that was not maximized? If they’d had tuition extra coaching at an earlier age we might they have been good enough? eg. What ever happened to Michael Turners other son Levi? Was he not good enough or was he just in need of a bit extra attention. No question Michael himself would be able to pass on numerous skills but sometimes a Father /Son relationship is not the best coaching relationship. Look at how early they grab kids in heaps of other sports like Tennis , Gymnastics , Swimming. Having a scholorship of sorts would enable their sporting abilities to develop as well as the other areas required these days thru Higher Education eg. Geelong Grammar (Our Schools could be another natural advantage) While the Father/Son rule is around its worth putting money into the kids as we a guaranteed to have them if we want them
TC

Tom Couch and Jacob Neal are in the same age group. Both will be taken in 2006. And Jack Scarlett isn't related to Matty. Matty has a girl.

catattack

Premiership Player
Jul 16, 2002
Cat Land
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Victorian Bushrangers
Originally posted by Turbocat

2005 , Thomas Couch
Tom Couch would be 2006.

I don't think we will draft him, I've seen him play, and although he is a very good footballer, there are better players worthy of a spot ahead of him.

GeeCat

Premiership Player
Sep 26, 2003
TJBC
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
TDot, LFC
Re: Re: Planning for future Father/Sons

Originally posted by catattack
Tom Couch would be 2006.

I don't think we will draft him, I've seen him play, and although he is a very good footballer, there are better players worthy of a spot ahead of him.

Have to disagree. Thomas has good skills and although the 2006 draft is shaping up as a talented draft, getting Thomas with a 3rd round pick would be a bargain at this stage.

catattack

Premiership Player
Jul 16, 2002
Cat Land
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Victorian Bushrangers
Re: Re: Re: Planning for future Father/Sons

Originally posted by GeeCat
Have to disagree. Thomas has good skills and although the 2006 draft is shaping up as a talented draft, getting Thomas with a 3rd round pick would be a bargain at this stage.
I played against him the other week, and did last season too. He's got very good skills, but I have played with and against many other players of better abilities who have not been selected on draft day...

GeeCat

Premiership Player
Sep 26, 2003
TJBC
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
TDot, LFC
Re: Re: Re: Re: Planning for future Father/Sons

I played against him the other week, and did last season too. He's got very good skills, but I have played with and against many other players of better abilities who have not been selected on draft day...

If you're in the U-16's with Thomas, then how have you played with previous draftees? :confused:

catattack

Premiership Player
Jul 16, 2002
Cat Land
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Victorian Bushrangers
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Planning for future Father/Sons

If you're in the U-16's with Thomas, then how have you played with previous draftees? :confused:
I have played football for almost ten years now, and have been richly involved with teams of a higher age group at my club. I have trained with older age groups, and have seen many absolute gun juniors that have missed out.

Word gets around at junior clubs about who is good from rival clubs, and there have been many names thrown around before who haven't been drafted, much to the bewilderment of many...

Tom’s name, from what I hear, is hardly mentioned, and whenever it is, it’s because of his surname.

Not taking anything away from him, he is a very talented footballer, but bringing back to my original comment: "I've seen him play, and although he is a very good footballer, there are better players worthy of a spot ahead of him.

F

Fall Out Boy

Re: Re: Planning for future Father/Sons

Tom Couch and Jacob Neal are in the same age group. Both will be taken in 2006.

Jacob is a year older, is about to turn 16, think Thomas is only 15.

BTW Thomas has better foot skills than our entire list.

catattack

Premiership Player
Jul 16, 2002
Cat Land
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Victorian Bushrangers
Re: Re: Re: Planning for future Father/Sons

Originally posted by phatandphreaky
Jacob is a year older, is about to turn 16, think Thomas is only 15.
Top age Under 16's... so he wouldn't be too far off turning 16, if he hasn't already. Cut off date is January 1st.

GeeCat

Premiership Player
Sep 26, 2003
TJBC
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
TDot, LFC
Re: Re: Re: Re: Planning for future Father/Sons

Top age Under 16's... so he wouldn't be too far off turning 16, if he hasn't already. Cut off date is January 1st.

Therefore they would be taken in the same year would they not?

catattack

Premiership Player
Jul 16, 2002
Cat Land
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Victorian Bushrangers
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Planning for future Father/Sons

Therefore they would be taken in the same year would they not?
I'm not sure on the cut off date for the AFL National Draft. I'd have to see their birth dates, the qualifying age (17 ½ I think) and the date.

Pepi

Team Captain
Sep 28, 2003
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Originally posted by matey_boy69
Levi Turner plays for North Ballarat, apparentyl CHE is a gun

I would definetely not call Che a gun. He plays in the team that my brother plays in, which is barwon heads in the u 18's in the BFL, which is not the strongest league in the world, and he would be in their bottom ten players, way too skinny and just does not have the hardness about him, i dont know how you could call him a gun

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
I’m not sure of the exact cut off but I can remember a comment in regard to Nathan A. that if he was willing we could have drafted him last year with our 2nd pick(3rd used on Blake), could draft him this year or next year, not sure after that. So in regards to Jacob Neal and Tom Couch even if they qualify in the same year the Cats might make a talent decision about whether they wish to use a 3rd and 2nd round pick in the same year, or holding back one of the back a year if the next years draft looks to be weaker or worth drafting at all.
TC

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
Reading todays addy , that had a write up on future F/S picks for the Cats, mainly focusing on four kids.
3 of the kids I have heard mentioned before - Che Turner,Tom Hawkins and Jacob Neal but the last kid was news , at least to me

Adam Donohue , Larrys boy , here is the blurb

Adam Donohue
DOB: 2/90
Club: Winchelsea
Height: 181cm
Weight: 80kg
Eligible for draft: 2007

Adam is a 14 year old playing for Winchelsea’s U18 side while still managing to fit in a few games in with his U14 mates, where he finished fifth in this year’s best and fairest despite playing just a third of the games.
Adam is predominantly a forward who reads the play exceptionally well and his kicking is fairly accurate. His versatility has seen him often moved onto a wing before reverting to half-forward or full forward where he loves to kick a goal. Not yet big enough to hold down a key position post but his body could fill out. Will come into the Falcons U16 program.

A 14 year old that sound like he might grow into his fathers shape.Larry was a player that would be great in our side now.Nice hands and very staright kick.I remember watching him at VFL park against the D's. 8 kicks , 8 goals.Larry played in era that was very tough for a player like him, mid 70's when we were a ********e side and unlike a Dunstall he was human and didnt like getting hit in the head every time he took a mark.In modern football he might be a bit slow but he would not have got the continual "Larry the Lamb" treatment either.
Any way if young Adam grows up he and along with young TomH sounds like we will continue to win from the F/S Pick , who needs Priority's

Sep 22, 2000
Calling Wambulances for the Geelong whiners
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Ford
Unwritten_Law said:
We are getting a little obsessive if we start following future f/s selections at 14.

You think 14 is bad to start getting obsessive.Some of us started following a future F-S with in days of his birth.

Only about another 13-14 years until the return of #31 to its rightful name. :D

F

Fall Out Boy

Unwritten_Law said:
We are getting a little obsessive if we start following future f/s selections at 14.

I'm more than happy to be considered obsessive when it comes to the GFC.

Obsessed and Proud.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
Unwritten_Law said:

I agree 14 is young but for sportsmen the balance between being to young and the time wasted is a difficult subject. In Athens now we Aussie swimmers that have won gold but how early in did they start training to be capable of that sort of effort. Some would have been younger than Adam when they started 4-5 hrs of training a day. If they didn't start that young then its time that's wasted because somebody else, somewhere else is training, doing those hours and they never catch up.
Spotting talent early is key to Olympic gold
What age is too early to spot talent or to spot future players in our game? One might say by being mentioned in the paper it places pressure on young Adam but equally one could argue that it might give him a target that is more real more achievable because other's now see him as a real chance to be a player. It might challenge him to strive and make it instead of drifting and wasting his chance.
I've said before that Geelong should endeavor to maximize its F/S pool. If David Clarke had been trained from an early age to kick the ball properly he would still be at Geelong. He might never have been a GAJ but if ingrained early the correct technique would have been his passport to being a solid player. The only kids that one can say for certain Geelong will be a chance to get is F/S so why not put effort into these kids while they are young to maximize their pickability. Young Adam should have personal coaching- weight training; fitness, football skills and media/communication would be area's I would have him train in if he was my boy.
Talent alone is not enough, one must make the most of it.

Back