Mega Thread Potential future father-son selections

Remove this Banner Ad

If we are keen on say 3 F/S selections next year, how does it work if we go into the draft with say a 2nd and 3rd rounder?

Is there some merit in getting some bang for buck with our 2018 first rounder this year so it isn't used on a F/S next year? Or, does it make it unlikely we miss out on one of them?

Depends where they are bid etc.
Basics are:
Whatever pick they are bid on we have to match the points of that pick minus 20% discount. E.g. if oscar is bid on pick 10 the points of pick 10 -20 %
If you dont have enough points to match all bids you can go into 2019 deficit-it comes off the round the bid is in e.g. if mensch gets a 3rd round pick and we have no points left we match and the points come off our 2019 3rd rounder etc.

If you believe one of the FS kids will get bid on before your 1st rounder there is some merit to trading it depends if you think top end quality is better than numerical depth e.g. you can trade the first rounder for a quality player and then use a 2nd +3rd or 3 3rds to match a bid. You are getting 2 players instead of 3/4 but they are likely to be of a higher quality as they are both first round standard. GWS seem to believe this as they have traded out early picks and traded in lots of later picks to match bids.

If we are keen on say 3 F/S selections next year, how does it work if we go into the draft with say a 2nd and 3rd rounder?

Is there some merit in getting some bang for buck with our 2018 first rounder this year so it isn't used on a F/S next year? Or, does it make it unlikely we miss out on one of them?

No we can either trade out fringe players and accumulate 3rd rounders to match bids or we can go into deficit on our 2019 picks. Either way we can get them all if we really want.

Depends where they are bid etc.
Basics are:
Whatever pick they are bid on we have to match the points of that pick minus 20% discount. E.g. if oscar is bid on pick 10 the points of pick 10 -20 %
If you dont have enough points to match all bids you can go into 2019 deficit-it comes off the round the bid is in e.g. if mensch gets a 3rd round pick and we have no points left we match and the points come off our 2019 3rd rounder etc.

If you believe one of the FS kids will get bid on before your 1st rounder there is some merit to trading it depends if you think top end quality is better than numerical depth e.g. you can trade the first rounder for a quality player and then use a 2nd +3rd or 3 3rds to match a bid. You are getting 2 players instead of 3/4 but they are likely to be of a higher quality as they are both first round standard. GWS seem to believe this as they have traded out early picks and traded in lots of later picks to match bids.

As I said..we need to assess just which kids want to come to the Cats..and just how good they are before shaking the pick market for some action.
Whats the rule revision again... they just cant have 10 R3's anymore ..must have a pick in each round?

Early days but Brownless promising for a nomination..but where is just too early. Its not like he was playing for VicC as an underage kid like Worpell last year. Yet I do always keep Pavlich in the back of my mind. He in his bottom age year was ignored by all clubs ..this was when there was a rule allowing clubs to recruit one 17 year old... then he went from that to P4 the next year. As good as we recruited in that era imagine if we had taken Pavlich in 98.. considering we drafted Peter Street with our R1 and David Loats with p51..Pavlich playing for us thru that golden era..makes ones mouth water

After Gary Hocking's appointment as an assistant coach at Collingwood it will be interesting to see where his son Lachlan ends up playing football. Played for the West Adelaide U18's this year and has one moe year in the U18 system. If he ends up playing for a TAC Cup team it should give us a much better idea of his ability/potential! The fact that his family is now in Vic must also enhance his chances of him selecting us under the father son rule if he is deemed good enough.

After Gary Hocking's appointment as an assistant coach at Collingwood it will be interesting to see where his son Lachlan ends up playing football. Played for the West Adelaide U18's this year and has one moe year in the U18 system. If he ends up playing for a TAC Cup team it should give us a much better idea of his ability/potential! The fact that his family is now in Vic must also enhance his chances of him selecting us under the father son rule if he is deemed good enough.
Steve Hocking leaving Geelong probably helps too, since apparently the bad blood is between the brothers, not Garry and Geelong.

Word over here in SA is that he's unlikely to be drafted.

They can do it the same way that Sydney did it with Callum Mills IMO. Basically, they packaged up four picks between about 25 and 40 to get Callum Mills when Melbourne called on him at pick three.

First let me say that the father/son/daughter thing is one of the greatest things in all sport. I love sports lore and family ties make playing for a club special.
I read somewhere that the rule is biased against non-Victorian clubs. How? Do they not count pre-AFL WAFL and SANFL careers? That would be absolute BS if true.
Which clubs have had the most? GFC seems to do well :)

First let me say that the father/son/daughter thing is one of the greatest things in all sport. I love sports lore and family ties make playing for a club special.
I read somewhere that the rule is biased against non-Victorian clubs. How? Do they not count pre-AFL WAFL and SANFL careers? That would be absolute BS if true.
Which clubs have had the most? GFC seems to do well :)

When clubs like Freo and Adelaide and West Coast etc came into the comp... there was an extra criteria added to FS to compensate for a lack of historical players.. IF a player had played 150/200 games for WAFL/SANFL then they could be FS.. but there was also a time criteria.. those games were to be before entry into the afl and and it was only a stop gap.. it was to run out after a time , around 20 years I think. This is why Gibbs was not at the Crows .. and why Ben Cousins was FSon to the WestCoast and not Geelong.

Now that they have been in the system long enough , they can have FS from Docker players and Crow players etc at 100 games like all other clubs.

On fairness..one must remember that the varying degree of standards that SA and WA football was.. some may say it was not much better than VFA. Players that may or may not have been good enough for VFL at that time.Comparable to VFA perhaps.Was there any link to VFA games? Can a player being qualify for FS playing 100 games of VFL games now?No. As time goes on .. the natural age of a parent means that those historical games present less FS kids.. look at next year. Brownless junior coming from Billy who played in the 80's and 90's. I doubt too many FS's will come from the 70's anymore.

If you look at this list you can see certain clubs have done better than others...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_...ian_Football_League_under_the_father–son_rule

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope the pressure does not mount Olin the kid too much..

I have no idea how he plays, where he plays or what his strengths/weaknesses are, but I just hope he enjoys his footy next year and plays his best injury free..

And picks us..well.. wants to pick us.. well what’s to be picked by us..

YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN!!!

Go Catters

Does anyone know which way Bailey Scott is leaning (between us, North and Gold Coast)? Just watching some highlights and he looks a likely type.

He looks handy..but every time I have heard experts talk about these kids with multiple options.. they tend to say .more often than not...they stay home. I have mentally scrubbed him till he say he wants to move and play with us.

Does anyone know which way Bailey Scott is leaning (between us, North and Gold Coast)? Just watching some highlights and he looks a likely type.

The fact that he is playing in the GC reserves is good sign for them re their chances of getting him but it could just be for practical convenience for him while he finishes school. He is eligible for north melb too.

He looks alright from that clip although hard to get a lot from that. He’s been mentioned a lot as having a lot of talent prob top 30. I’d hope the club has some people in his ear at least. No offence to North and the Suns but I’d have thought it’d still be a mic more attractive proposition to play for geelong than those two.
He’d probably get more games quicker but if he’s good enough Geelong will play him.

Is there any footage of brownless or hocking?

It would be very helpful to have a quality f/s key forward coming up. Anything on the grapevine?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back