Mega Thread Potential future father-son selections

Remove this Banner Ad

As he played in the u17 game , best 40/50 kids u17 one would think OB was a very strong chance for VicC
I'm pretty sure he was one of the Vic Country captains at u16 level as well, so you'd assume natutal progression means he'd be expected to make the carnival, and maybe he is a strong chance to be captain of the Falcons as well?

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
I'm pretty sure he was one of the Vic Country captains at u16 level as well, so you'd assume natutal progression means he'd be expected to make the carnival, and maybe he is a strong chance to be captain of the Falcons as well?
Good point. If the draft is as strong as predicted he may well appear to be a latish pick but he presents as a very good FS chance , best we have had in a while if he has leadership capabilities. Shame he is not KP but thats just is just fate.

Two Planks

Norm Smith Medallist
May 14, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong

Think Sam Walsh will captain Falcons

Two Planks

Norm Smith Medallist
May 14, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
I think a player has to be living in a northern state for 3 years before he turns 16 to be eligible for Academy bidding. Thats why Lachie Weller who moved to QLD when he was 15 was ineligible for Gold Coast Suns in his draft year.

I think a player has to be living in a northern state for 3 years before he turns 16 to be eligible for Academy bidding. Thats why Lachie Weller who moved to QLD when he was 15 was ineligible for Gold Coast Suns in his draft year.

Correct. Also why Bailey Scott is eligible forGC as he has lived there long enough as well as Geelong and North.

$1.05 he chooses Gold Coast

If he doesnt want to leave his friends they are in the box seat. But it may come down to which club offers the most playing time, money,development for future and chances of finals etc and GC don't have a great track record on the last 2.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
If he doesnt want to leave his friends they are in the box seat. But it may come down to which club offers the most playing rime, money,development for future and chances of finals etc and GC don't have a great track record on the last 2.
Its hard to work out what each club would look like to a young kid.. a better chance to play , more traditional clubs and probably a better development program. Play AFL and stay home with mates or willing to choose to move if he sees a Vic club as a standout etc. If he trains at all the clubs he can at least get some sort of vibe to base his choice on. And perhaps the chance to play at the club with SAD still around could be something we could offer that the other cant.
The easy option is to stay home. If he chooses Vic then one would suspect that he is serious about his footy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Which one? Is there two?
One played Falcons last year and didn't get drafted. Im not sure if he's still eligible for Falcons as an over-ager this year but I think he signed for our VFL side.

There's another Cooper Stephens who'll debut for the Falcons this year ... same name different person. He's supposedly a jet.

Jan 13, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
One played Falcons last year and didn't get drafted. Im not sure if he's still eligible for Falcons as an over-ager this year but I think he signed for our VFL side.

There's another Cooper Stephens who'll debut for the Falcons this year ... same name different person. He's supposedly a jet.

Is he a father son for Geelong??

Geelong Falcons 0.2-2 0.4-4 3.6-24 9.9-63
GW Vic Rebels 7.2-44 10.3-63 13.5-83 15.6-96

Geelong Falcons
Goal Kickers: C. Idun 2, C. Sprague, B. Mensch, T. Richardson, B. Scott, C. Mulgrew, S. Walsh, S. Torpy

Best Players: C. Sprague, C. Idun, C. Cartledge, B. Ham, O. Brownless, K. Rayner

Greater Western Victoria Rebels
Goal Kickers: M. Martin 3, J. Hill 3, K. Councillor 2, T. Watts 2, J. Chatfield 2, I. Grant, S. Carlin, L. Dawson

Best Players: L. Dawson, M. Martin, M. Schnerring, H. Butler, P. Glanford, J. Chatfield

Mensch kicked a goal and Brownless named in the best.

Get them to do enough to show what they have but not too much that everyone wants them..

Fine balance..

Go Catters

Get them to do enough to show what they have but not too much that everyone wants them..

Fine balance..

Go Catters

True. They need to do enough to be draftable but not enough that theyll all get top 20 bids.

Bailey Scott kicked a goal on debut there too. Good sign he is playing some Falcons games means at least he is keeping his options open between us and GC.

True. They need to do enough to be draftable but not enough that theyll all get top 20 bids.

Bailey Scott kicked a goal on debut there too. Good sign he is playing some Falcons games means at least he is keeping his options open between us and GC.
It's not the same Bailey Scott. This one is from Colac.

It's not the same Bailey Scott. This one is from Colac.

Really? Can we sneak him into a photoshopped jumper so GC bid on him with a 1st rounder and then we don't match and they have to keep him? Haha.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back