Mega Thread Potential future father-son selections

Remove this Banner Ad

We are training the Western Bulldogs zoned player whose name escapees me - but He’s a top 5 pick - Stokes has been working with him for years as a indigenous pathway player.. from all reports.. Doggies will score a really really good one there as he’s from their NGA zone..

Go Catters

ugle Hagan will go top 3 imo.

We are training the Western Bulldogs zoned player whose name escapees me - but He’s a top 5 pick - Stokes has been working with him for years as a indigenous pathway player.. from all reports.. Doggies will score a really really good one there as he’s from their NGA zone..

Go Catters
Did much the same with Sam Walsh.

do we have anything U18/16 level that is potentially AFL level or a genuine gun??
What about our NGA academy??
This kid is in our NGA academy and is 3 years away

With Sam Menegola welcoming his first son, he's another potential to add to the list.

He has currently played 69 games for GFC so another 2 seasons shoudl see him qualify.

And to that, PFD racked up 100 last week, so now the Crows have FS competition - not that they are really competition as such.

GO Catters

With Sam Menegola welcoming his first son, he's another potential to add to the list.

He has currently played 69 games for GFC so another 2 seasons shoudl see him qualify.

And to that, PFD racked up 100 last week, so now the Crows have FS competition - not that they are really competition as such.

GO Catters

One hopes.....but I suspect the FS rule may be gone by the the time Young Menegola is strapping his boots..

Last edited:
One hopes.....but I suspect the FS rule may be gone gy the the time Young Menegola is strapping his boots..
They should never ever get rid of the father/son rule it is one thing that stands out from every other competition and as a side not has a massive romantic nostalgia hit to it.

GO Catters

Great news.

They should never ever get rid of the father/son rule it is one thing that stands out from every other competition and as a side not has a massive romantic nostalgia hit to it.

Have you ever seen Draft Day .. there is one potential draftee that says..all he wants to do is play for his fathers club... so yes not OS

Let me be clear .. I like it too but its been changed that much , the concept ts fighting an avalanche of professionalism and the changing face of football. Seeing the genetic offspring from a previous player has been so good for some clubs... but one can understand the clubs that have missed out not being as wrapped in it.

Unless a club is personally gaining from it, most want an unimpeded draft, add to that, I don't see how it works long term now we have a aflW.

Have you ever seen Draft Day .. there is one potential draftee that says..all he wants to do is play for his fathers club... so yes not OS

Let me be clear .. I like it too but its been changed that much , the concept ts fighting an avalanche of professionalism and the changing face of football. Seeing the genetic offspring from a previous player has been so good for some clubs... but one can understand the clubs that have missed out not being as wrapped in it.

Unless a club is personally gaining from it, most want an unimpeded draft, add to that, I don't see how it works long term now we have a aflW.
If they axe it I will honestly stop watching /following the game ...it’s the last traditional thing standing to link the club and supporters together to give a sense of history...the game is so sterile now and business minded it’ll lose a hat little traditional sprit it has.

If they want to get rid of academies and NGA's (they are basiclly a rort anyway) i am all for it but how often does a real gun Father and son come along per club?.

Not worth getting rid of one of the best things about AFL just to stop a side from getting a good father and son once every 10 years or so.

My preference isn't to get rid of academies but to make them all AFL academies where the players from them get put into the draft with no discount to the club running that particular academy.

That way they are still a gateway to AFL for players that would not normally take that path but are fair for everyone

I mean how was Nick Blakey academy worthy for *s sake.

And yes clubs may chuck a s**t but if it is all AFL funded just tell them to shut up.

Edit: sorry probably should have put this one in the trade and rumours thread

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Got word the scouts have been quite impressed with mooneys son who is showing a lot. Is about 12/13 atm but is looking very good they said. Might have a quality Father son in 4-5 years to watch at under 18’s

Without adding any extra pressure , the club should offer assistance and coaching to ensure he keeps his options open. Build and improving his skills etc.

Of course with these aligned players now one can't guarantee that they will land at your clubs unless the club sees an obvious benefit. For example Daicos son that is coming up ... has been mentioned as an early pick..one can be assured that Collingwood will be all over him. To me this is why I would remove discount on FA for the first round , keep it for the second and players third round on have a high discount, and do not cost much at all if anything. All clubs should be encouraged to draft the fringe father sons ..not just the gun quality ones. Thinking about our Father Sons recently , one can see Geelong are tiring to do the right thing... Its easy to draft a Farher son who is as good as Rowel, a bit harder when the fringe.

Last edited:
Got word the scouts have been quite impressed with mooneys son who is showing a lot. Is about 12/13 atm but is looking very good they said. Might have a quality rather son in 4-5 years to watch at under 18’s
Jagger?

GO Catters

Got word the scouts have been quite impressed with mooneys son who is showing a lot. Is about 12/13 atm but is looking very good they said. Might have a quality rather son in 4-5 years to watch at under 18’s
This may be a stupid question, but what type of player is he at the moment?

I know boys tend to have their growth spurts later, but is he tall like his dad & a potential key position player or more midfielder type at the moment?

This may be a stupid question, but what type of player is he at the moment?

I know boys tend to have their growth spurts later, but is he tall like his dad & a potential key position player or more midfielder type at the moment?

didn’t get anymore besides they are very impressed so far. I didn’t even know they existed before the brief mention of them. Will ask next time more questions such as this one you asked.

also this is coming from someone involved in list management more high up the chain, not a scout directly. They watch these kids especially father sons from quite a young age.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back