Mega Thread Potential future Geelong Father Daughter Selections

Remove this Banner Ad

chris9753

Team Captain
Aug 23, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
Not sure if this is the appropriate place to put this (thread rename?) but the 2020 Geelong Girl Falcons squad have a couple of father-daughters playing.

"The squad features Charlotte Simpson, daughter of former Geelong player Sean Simpson, and Mackenzie McGrath, the daughter of Tim McGrath. Both players are not eligable to be drafted until 2021 due to still being 16-years old."

I agree. Let’s not mix threads. I have zero interest in our womens team.

I wish the afl website would also stop clogging up their news with aflw stories. Could not care less about it.
It's probably because it's March. If they didn't report aflw news there'd be nothing. The title of the thread may stipulate father-son but it also predates the women's comp by more than 10 years, and I don't think it is deviating much to discuss it.

Im sensing frustration and hatred towards
Women playing the game. Personally not much happens in here anyway so why not rename it to father-sons/daughters

Not sure how you came to that conclusion...or why you felt the need to express it....

I see no problem in setting up a separate father/daughter thread ....if that is wanted go right ahead..

However, I don't see a problem having a separate F/S thread either....as we can see from the OP, its all pretty speculative anyway...not one of the sons mentioned in the OP played for Geelong.

Any news or developments of Father Daughter potetentials should go here.

Millie Brown being the First AFLW Father Daughter in the histoy of the competition - with potientially more on the horizon.

GO Catters

Millie is looking the goods. Very composed for someone so young.
Without wanting to "taint" this thread, does anyone know who our first ever father-son was?
Simon Fletcher

Millie Brown being the First AFLW Father Daughter in the histoy of the competition - with potientially more on the horizon.

GO Catters

Is there a thread for Mother Sons selections? ;) How many games does a female player have to player before their son can play for the mens sides. This must be answered urgently somtime in the next 15-20 years.

To be honest I think the whole concpet will collapse once woman players children become eligible, it will be far too complicated in some relationships.

Perhaps the days for number of games qualifications will go reduce , as long a a club pays the bid then does it matter if they parent played 25 , 50 or 100?

Is there a thread for Mother Sons selections? ;) How many games does a female player have to player before their son can play for the mens sides. This must be answered urgently somtime in the next 15-20 years.

To be honest I think the whole concpet will collapse once woman players children become eligible, it will be far too complicated in some relationships.

Perhaps the days for number of games qualifications will go reduce , as long a a club pays the bid then does it matter if they parent played 25 , 50 or 100?
Some of those players would already have teenage sons I'd imagine.

Some of those players would already have teenage sons I'd imagine.
They are not that old Nakkers - and you know it - and for someone who had no interest in the Womens game or this particualr thread I find it interesting you are here with some veiled piss taking.

So heed your own advice and ignore what you yourself have stated you have no interest in.

GO Catters

When the AFL introduced the father-daughter rule, they made no commitment to mother-son or mother-daughter rule, instead saying it will be reviewed in 2020 - so that was a few years ago and will be interesting to see if they actually review it this year

The 100 games required under the father-son rule equates to about 4.5 seasons; so the speculation with a potential mother-son rule it would work on a similar formula, though adjustments may be required as the AFLW seasons are getting longer. So maybe 50 AFLW games required if they decided to go down that path

While correct that there are a few mums running around in the AFLW, I've read that it's believed the oldest child of a current player is 8 and she also has 2 younger children

Her husband also happens to be a 3 times Mathieson medalist in the GFL

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When the AFL introduced the father-daughter rule, they made no commitment to mother-son or mother-daughter rule, instead saying it will be reviewed in 2020 - so that was a few years ago and will be interesting to see if they actually review it this year

The 100 games required under the father-son rule equates to about 4.5 seasons; so the speculation with a potential mother-son rule it would work on a similar formula, though adjustments may be required as the AFLW seasons are getting longer. So maybe 50 AFLW games required if they decided to go down that path
Although logical, I cant wait to see a potential #1 draft pick from a mother who has played 20-30 games, let alone if it we bring in other questions. As I understand it traditionally adopted children did not qualify for FS, I can remember Bob Davis saying he enquired about addopting Hodge when he was playing for the Falcons. The concept was not really setup to cope with same sex relationships...so the whole concept may be on the clock, all will be fine till someone comes along that is very talented, Just like with Hawkins or Heeney , talent usually changes the system.

Although logical, I cant wait to see a potential #1 draft pick from a mother who has played 20-30 games, let alone if it we bring in other questions. As I understand it traditionally adopted children did not qualify for FS, I can remember Bob Davis saying he enquired about addopting Hodge when he was playing for the Falcons. The concept was not really setup to cope with same sex relationships...so the whole concept may be on the clock, all will be fine till someone comes along that is very talented, Just like with Hawkins or Heeney , talent usually changes the system.

Totally agree with all that

It's a tough call - I can see value in a mother-daughter rule, but unsure about a mother-son version

GO Catters

sorry to be pedantic Daz, but Chris Grant's daughter Isabella went to the Bulldogs in last year's draft as a F/D ..

Simpson & McGrath back out there for the Falcons girls this year - Simpson with a positive start to the year

fingers crossed for a good season for the Falcons and the potential father & daughter selections

Remove this Banner Ad

Back