List Mgmt. Father-Sun Watch (List in OP)

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe a Dixon blended with a bit of Jacks sister could be interesting.

A 200cm Jack Martin with a beard would be a handy player

Who even gives a s**t about moral boundaries!

Does the father son rule apply to stepsons?
I'm not 100% sure but I think I remember reading that it had to do with how genuine it looked. For example, you couldn't just adopt a gun 16-year-old and then the club claims him two years later under the FS rule. As for stepfathers, it probably has something to do with how long the father has been in the child's life. Again, I don't think they'd accept it if you became the step father when the kid was 16. Might sound harsh but clubs could really exploit this rule if they don't have strict rules.

Back on topic, other expansion clubs were given a father-son exception not long after entering the AFL for sons of WAFL and SANFL legends that had played a certain amount of games. Now obviously this rule wouldn't be of much worth to Queensland and New South Wales clubs because the QAFL and NSW-based competitions were never anything to rave about. However, the Suns are fortunate enough to have the Southport Sharks a part of their academy zone and that is the closest anyone is going to get to a WAFL/SANFL situation in QLD or NSW. Hall of fame Sharks player Brett Thompson is of course the father of everyone's favourite red head at the Suns. A two-time premiership full forward for the Sharks who kicked 6 straight goals in the 1985 QAFL Grand Final.

Gavan McGuane (father of Brisbane's Luke) was also a legend of the club after securing the B&F three times through his Sharks career and playing in four premiership teams through the 80s. Luke was available as a delisted free agent last year but the Suns didn't show any interest in him unfortunately.

I got just the guy to oversee such an operation

JamesHirds.jpg

I'm not 100% sure but I think I remember reading that it had to do with how genuine it looked. For example, you couldn't just adopt a gun 16-year-old and then the club claims him two years later under the FS rule. As for stepfathers, it probably has something to do with how long the father has been in the child's life. Again, I don't think they'd accept it if you became the step father when the kid was 16. Might sound harsh but clubs could really exploit this rule if they don't have strict rules.

Thanks for the reply mate. Good to hear from someone who knows what they are talking about.

I know of a former player who has an extremely talented stepson. The boy is still very young, but it is a genuine relationship. It would be just like the AFL to make such an enlightened decision. Ive no doubt he has put a lot of time into teaching the boy the correct ways in footy, and life.

Thanks for the reply mate. Good to hear from someone who knows what they are talking about.

I know of a former player who has an extremely talented stepson. The boy is still very young, but it is a genuine relationship. It would be just like the AFL to make such an enlightened decision. Ive no doubt he has put a lot of time into teaching the boy the correct ways in footy, and life.

I don't think it would fly still as they are not biological. It sets a poor precedent in my opinion that could be easily exploited.

Trask is meant to be alright isn't he?
Heard the name before so I decided to do a little more research. Stood 6'3 a year and a half ago (fair to assume he is taller now) and played half forward at the Sharks. Unfortunately, like Weller, he moved here in 2011 and has not fulfilled the 5 year minimum requirements to be taken as an academy player (sigh). How disappointing will it be at the end of this year if both Weller and Trask fall one year short of being academy drafted to the Suns and both end up at other clubs after spending so much time in the Suns development system? I'd be shattered if I was a part of the junior development staff.

The AFL does seem more open to these types of things these days so you never know. If he has been present in the boy's life since a young age then I don't think you can rule it out at this stage. Seems like that situation and adoption is a bit of a grey area in the F/S system.

I still wouldn't allow it if it was an adopted kid but that's just me. You take the biological element out and it kind of defeats the purpose.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

I still wouldn't allow it if it was an adopted kid but that's just me. You take the biological element out and it kind of defeats the purpose.
I hear you but I think it comes down to your definition of the word father. There are plenty of kids out there who don't know their biological fathers and I dare say some that believe other men are their biological fathers.

I don't think it would fly still as they are not biological. It sets a poor precedent in my opinion that could be easily exploited.
I think the AFL is pretty smart. They would look at it in a case by case basis. Adoption takes years. A former player Marrying to get a talented stepson is a bit of a stretch...haha

Some facebook pictures of the academy kids a week ago:

1920119_10152198708521066_824776576_n.jpg

Lachlan Weller (Broadbeach, Gold Coast)
1897654_10152198707351066_549164414_n.jpg

Matthew Dickenson (Southport, Gold Coast)
1982132_10152198707071066_1191307554_n.jpg

Darcy Trask (Southport, Gold Coast)
1901252_10152198707036066_299410829_n.jpg

Ryan Agita (Broadbeach, Gold Coast)
1010083_10152198707581066_1754526879_n.jpg

Cassidy Haberfield (Surfers Paradise, Gold Coast)
1901249_10152198707566066_1427346443_n.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The QAFL mini-draft was completed this week with every Southport player being aligned to a QAFL team. If that player doesn't make the Sharks side they will be demoted to the QAFL side. Asterisks indicates players already aligned with a QAFL side.

SOUTHPORT PLAYERS

Broadbeach
  • Kieran Brennan*
  • Mitch Brewer*
  • Nick Burton*
  • Kallen Geary*
  • Adam McKenzie*
  • Luke Shreeve*
  • Darin Stewart*
  • Lachlan Weller*
  • Ben Wells*
Labrador
  • Adam Clarke*
  • Jake Goldsmith*
  • Todd Grayson*
  • Stephen Wrigley*
  • Ben Headland
  • Glenn Screech
  • Josh Baxter
  • Mark Collison
Palm Beach
  • Stephen Thynne*
  • Liam McNeven*
  • Zac Callinan
  • Dylan Troutman
  • Jake Keller
  • Nick Crowley
  • Sam Haslem
  • Wayde Mills
Surfers Paradise
  • Dane Grant*
  • Ben Merrett*
  • Fraser Pope*
  • Regan Salter*
  • John Macansh
  • Hadyn Kiel
  • Jason Burge
  • Luke Hill
  • Nathan Kenny
A few recognisable names here. Is Weller the only Suns academy player on those lists?

Northern Conference preliminary finalists last year, can the Sharks go one better in 2014?

The Southport Sharks have enjoyed a constant period of success since joining Queensland’s top flight, missing the finals only once in 2011, the first year of the NEAFL competition.

Since then, the Sharks have put together consecutive third place finishes, but with a number of senior players leaving the club, the list has been rejuvenated to set up the side for the future.

New coach Matt Angus said the club could have recruited experienced players to fill the space in the squad but decided to take a longer term view to Southport’s list management.

“It’s a pretty young group so we haven’t gone and replaced those experienced players with 28 to 30-year-old veterans or really experienced players,” Angus said.

“(Out of the new recruits) Kallan Geary has played 50 games of state league footy (while) Luke Shreeve, Mitch Brewer, and Todd Grayson are also coming into their best footy over this year and next year in terms of their maturity.

“That’s where we feel really confident that the club is looking at setting its initial squad up to strike straight away but to also add some long term value to the list.”

As well as the playing list, the coaching staff has also undertaken significant change, with Angus replacing Queensland Coach of the Century Norm Dare.

“It’s a completely new coaching team and we’ve probably got different coaching philosophies,” Angus said.

“I’m extremely mindful that Norm’s been one of the most successful coaches in Queensland history.

“But a lot of the older players that Norm has coached for a long time have gone over the last two years with guys like Adam Devine, Danny Wise, David James, Kurt Nicklaus and Andrew McQualter all leaving.”

A total of eight players from last year’s preliminary final side have left the club, meaning there will be a distinctly different feel to the Southport side in 2014.

However, all the new recruits have adapted to the changes and have been embraced by the existing squad, Angus said.

“We were really happy with our hit out against Redland on the weekend, and whilst both sides made a lot of mistakes there was a really good feeling and a really good buzz amongst the group,” he said.

“I think we’ve done a really good job amongst the coaches and the strength and conditioning guys with Jason Cotter and Brent Kelly in footy operations to create a really nice environment for both the coaches and players to be here.”

Southport’s preparation for the season continues with a practice match against the Gold Coast Suns at Metricon Stadium on Saturday.

Southport 2014 INS

Todd Grayson
Luke Shreeve
Adam Clarke
Kieran Brennan
Luke Hill
Darin Stewart
Dylan Troutman
Kallan Geary
Ben Wells
Lachlan Weller
Jake Goldsmith
Mark Collison
Sam Haslem
William Wolbers
Adam McKenzie
Nicholas Burton
Jake Keller
Nathan Kenny
Mitch Brewer

Southport 2014 OUTS

Callan Eddy
Sam Whish-Wilson
Dalton Tucker
Cleve Hughes
Daniel Weymouth
Andrew McQualter
Tom Daniel
Joshua Milani
Daniel Wise
Kurt Niklaus
Stephen Mills
Jack Stanlake
Daniel Vandewerken
Callum Carseldine
Brock Askey
Tyson Kruse
Jonathon Milesv
Tyrone Alderson
Cory Hopkins
David James
Nathan Trevena
Jackson Rolfe

Queensland initial U18 squad announced

13 Gold Coast academy players made the QLD team - Robert Blood (Southport), Braydon Preuss (Mount Gravatt/Townsville), Cassidy Haberfield (Surfers Paradise), Ryan Agita (Broadbeach), James Holland (Southport), Dylan Mutu (Surfers Paradise), James Farley-Smith (Cairns/Redland/Surfers Paradise), Glendon Woosup (North Cairns Tigers), Tom Michael (Cairns/Redlands), Isaac Hay (Broadbeach), Darcy Trask (Southport), Cody Filewood (North Mackay Saints), Lachlan Weller (Broadbeach/Southport).

Their first TAC Cup game will be played 13 April against the Oakleigh Chargers down in Melbourne.

What's Weller's weapon? Great kicking? Smarts? Athleticism?

Haven't really been able to ascertain why he is so highly rated...

I know this is old news but I thought I'd have a look at the Courier Mail's 2013 Queensland Team of the Year. If anyone has any worries as to the strength of the Gold Coast zone, then just look at this:

FB: Courtenay Dempsey (Bombers/Cairns), Daniel Merrett (Lions/Gold Coast), Lee Spurr (Dockers/Brisbane)
HB: Sam Gilbert (Saints/Gold Coast), Rory Thompson (Suns/Gold Coast), Ricky Petterd (Tigers/Gold Coast)
C: Tom Bell (Blues/Brisbane), Dayne Beams (Magpies/Gold Coast), Jarrod Harbrow (Suns/Cairns)
HF: Josh Thomas (Magpies/Brisbane), Nick Riewoldt (Saints/Gold Coast), Brendan Whitecross (Hawks/Brisbane)
FF: Dayne Zorko (Lions/Gold Coast), Kurt Tippett (Swans/Gold Coast), Charlie Dixon (Suns/Cairns)
Rucks: David Hale (Hawks/Gold Coast), David Armitage (Saints/Brisbane), Andrew Raines (Lions/Gold Coast)
INT: Luke McGuane (Tigers/Gold Coast), Andrew Boston (Suns/Gold Coast), Jesse White (Swans/Gold Coast), Joel Wilkinson (Suns/Gold Coast)

14 of the 22 selected hail from the Gold Coast! A further 3 hail from Cairns which is also a part of the Gold Coast zone. There are some real top liners in that list as well with the likes of Riewoldt, Tippett, Beams, Zorko and Hale all being considered very good players. Unsurprisingly, majority of these players come from the Southport Sharks. I think the Suns just need to be a little more willing to draft local players and give them a chance to really take advantage of their zone. It is arguably the strongest zone in both Queensland and New South Wales.

I know this is old news but I thought I'd have a look at the Courier Mail's 2013 Queensland Team of the Year. If anyone has any worries as to the strength of the Gold Coast zone, then just look at this:

FB: Courtenay Dempsey (Bombers/Cairns), Daniel Merrett (Lions/Gold Coast), Lee Spurr (Dockers/Brisbane)
HB: Sam Gilbert (Saints/Gold Coast), Rory Thompson (Suns/Gold Coast), Ricky Petterd (Tigers/Gold Coast)
C: Tom Bell (Blues/Brisbane), Dayne Beams (Magpies/Gold Coast), Jarrod Harbrow (Suns/Cairns)
HF: Josh Thomas (Magpies/Brisbane), Nick Riewoldt (Saints/Gold Coast), Brendan Whitecross (Hawks/Brisbane)
FF: Dayne Zorko (Lions/Gold Coast), Kurt Tippett (Swans/Gold Coast), Charlie Dixon (Suns/Cairns)
Rucks: David Hale (Hawks/Gold Coast), David Armitage (Saints/Brisbane), Andrew Raines (Lions/Gold Coast)
INT: Luke McGuane (Tigers/Gold Coast), Andrew Boston (Suns/Gold Coast), Jesse White (Swans/Gold Coast), Joel Wilkinson (Suns/Gold Coast)

14 of the 22 selected hail from the Gold Coast! A further 3 hail from Cairns which is also a part of the Gold Coast zone. There are some real top liners in that list as well with the likes of Riewoldt, Tippett, Beams, Zorko and Hale all being considered very good players. Unsurprisingly, majority of these players come from the Southport Sharks. I think the Suns just need to be a little more willing to draft local players and give them a chance to really take advantage of their zone. It is arguably the strongest zone in both Queensland and New South Wales.

Where would that team finish on an AFL ladder now

Where would that team finish on an AFL ladder now
Top 4 surely? Riewoldt and Tippett are 2 of the best KPFs in the comp (Riewoldt arguably the best KPF right now) and Zorko is probably top 5 in the small forwards category. The back line is pretty strong too but the midfield is a bit weak. Hale is obviously a quality ruckman but (outside of Beams) the midfield isn't very strong.

Time to bring back Origin footy!

spine looks pretty good. a few good players here and there, but i don't think top four.
If they had one more quality midfielder then I'd be pretty confident of a top 4 finish. I'm not really sure why D.Beams is the only top quality midfielder the Gold Coast has produced in the last 10 years or so...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back