List Mgmt. Father-Sun Watch (List in OP)

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Pretty sure that Glendon Woosup is a bottom age player in the GC academy, hope he does well.
You're right. He is playing in for the SUNS reserves today. He is from Cape York but is living in Cairns at the Cape York House. Here is an article about his situation:

Cape York Eagles make history as Australian-first indigenous AFL Cairns junior team
THE Cape York House Eagles will join the AFL Cairns junior competition this season for the first time.

The formation of the new club is an Australia-first, their home ground also the home of 40 young indigenous men from the Cape.

They live at the House, attend school in Cairns and now get to play in Eagles guernseys at a home ground just outside their bedroom window.

The House has been operational for 12 months and its performance is being monitored by the AFL and other big institutions who see potential in the set-up.

Forming Eagles under-15 and under-17.5 (Colts) teams in this season's AFL Cairns junior competition is the next phase of the initiative.

"To be part of this club in its first year is exciting and kind of hard to describe," boarder and soon-to-be Eagle Glendon Woosup said.

"I'm looking forward to it. We get great support with our schoolwork and footy and it'll be great to play alongside the guys."

The 16-year-old plans to graduate from Trinity Bay State High School at the end of this season and study HPE teaching at university.

But adding another premiership to the under-18 flag he won at North Cairns last year would be nice, too.

"It'll be fun to play against them this time, but I don't want us to get ahead of ourselves," he said.

"Hopefully we win one or two games this season."

AFL Cape York House program manager Rick Hanlon hopes they can bolster their side.

"The club is open to everyone and we want it to be very inclusive and multicultural," he said.

"We don't have any expectations other than to train and play hard and enjoy their footy."

Training begins tonight and will continue every Tuesday and Thursday this season.

Essentially, they've set up boarding situation for Aussie rules players in Cape York. The players will live and attend school in Cairns while competing in the AFL Cairns junior competition on the weekends. This is an absolutely brilliant idea and could be huge for the SUNS academy in the future. We know some players from the northern parts of Queensland struggle to adjust to the city life so moving them to Cairns in their teenage years seem like a good transitional phase to me.

As for the SUNS, it is great to see they appear to be tapping into the undiscovered indigenous up north. These kids are seriously talented and they now appear to have a clear pathway into the AFL. Glendon Woosup will be eligible to be drafted next year so hopefully he continues on his ways and the SUNS pick him up with an academy pick. Just in case anyone is wondering what Woosup looks like, here is a picture of him playing for the SUNS academy team earlier this year:

dUNoPWj.jpg

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The Queensland Scorpions (U18 QLD team) play their first of six TAC Cup matches this weekend against Oakleigh down in Melbourne. The home venues for the future Scorpions matches have also been announced with Bond University (3 May v Sandringham), Casheezie Park (31 May v Eastern Rangers) and Graham Road (27 July v North Ballarat) all hosting matches this season. Two matches in Brisbane (Casheezie Park and Graham Road) and one on the Gold Coast (Bond University) seems about right. Little surprised they chose Bond Uni over the Southport Sharks but still good to have the state team playing on the GC.

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Results for the QLD U18 team in TAC Cup so far:

13 April 2014
Oakleigh 15.17 (107) def. Queensland 7.6 (48)
Best 3: Ben Keays (Bris), Daniel Henderson (Bris), Matthew Uebergang (Bris)

3 May 2014
Sandringham 11.13 (79) def Queensland 6.9 (45)
Best 3: Liam Dawson (Bris), Lachlan Weller (GC), James Rayner (Bris)

11 May 2014
Queensland 9.18 (72) def. Gippsland 10.11 (71)
Best 3: Nate Dennis (Bris), Hayden Bertoli-Simmonds (Bris), Corey Wagner (Bris)

Good to see Queensland get their first win last weekend. They play in the TAC Cup again next two weeks from now against the Eastern Rangers in Brisbane.

Shaneprice97

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 24, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood VFL
Gday guys hope you dont mind if i ask a question.
I know nothing about how the recruiting goes with Gold Coast with the Zone and stuff but i was just wondering, will the suns get Lachie Weller for sfa because hes like a Gold Coast player or a Zone player? because Knightmare rates him highly iirc and you guys would be laughing if you could add another gun midfielder.

TheJaegerBomb

Cancelled
Aug 22, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Subiaco Lions, GS Warriors
Gday guys hope you dont mind if i ask a question.
I know nothing about how the recruiting goes with Gold Coast with the Zone and stuff but i was just wondering, will the suns get Lachie Weller for sfa because hes like a Gold Coast player or a Zone player? because Knightmare rates him highly iirc and you guys would be laughing if you could add another gun midfielder.

Nope not eligible has not been in QLD long enough.

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Good to see Queensland get up over the Geelong Falcons on the weekend by 1 point. Gives them 3 wins from 6 games which is a very good effort in the strongest u18 comp in Australia. Results:

13 April 2014
Oakleigh 15.17 (107) def. Queensland 7.6 (48)
Best 3: Ben Keays (Bris), Daniel Henderson (Bris), Matthew Uebergang (Bris)

3 May 2014
Sandringham 11.13 (79) def Queensland 6.9 (45)
Best 3: Liam Dawson (Bris), Lachlan Weller (GC), James Rayner (Bris)

11 May 2014
Queensland 9.18 (72) def. Gippsland 10.11 (71)
Best 3: Nate Dennis (Bris), Hayden Bertoli-Simmonds (Bris), Corey Wagner (Bris)

31 May 2014
Queensland 14.12 (96) def. Eastern Rangers 5.9 (39)
Best 3: Braydon Preuss (GC), Nick Jackson (Bris), Daniel Henderson (Bris)

27 July 2014
North Ballarat 11.7 (73) def. Queensland 7.11 (53)
Best 3: Daniel Henderson (Bris), Isaac Hay (GC), Ben Keays (Bris)

2 August 2014
Queensland 12.10 (82) def. Geelong 12.9 (81)
Best 3: Matt Hammelmann (Bris), Darcy Cameron-Reeves (Bris), Henry Leong (Bris)

Now the u18 championships results:

21 June 2014
Queensland 11.10 (76) def. Tasmania 7.5 (47)
Best 3: Ben Keays (Bris), Darcy Cameron-Reeves (Bris), Hayden Bertoli-Simmonds (Bris)

28 June 2014
Queensland 10.12 (72) def. Northern Territory 6.6 (42)
Best 3: Lachie Weller (GC), Ben Keays (Bris), Hayden Bertoli-Simmonds (Bris)

2 July 2014
NSW/ACT 8.10 (58) def. Queensland 6.9 (45)
Best 3: Darcy Cameron-Reeves (Bris), Ben Keays (Bris), Liam Mosley (Bris)

So a pretty good season for Queensland all round. 3 wins in the TAC Cup and they made the Div 2 final in the u18 championships. This article shows Lachie Weller's best game seemed to have come against NT. Not a lot else to talk about from the GC academy this season outside of Weller.

Last edited:

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Preuss also best on against Rangers. Think he kicked a bag of goals in that game.
He kicked 3.1 in that game which isn't bad. It'd be cool if the Suns picked up both Preuss and Weller in the draft. Has he played any games for Southport this year?

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Weller? Yes - he's played a handful of games for Southport seniors this year.
I meant Preuss. Surely he's played some local footy this year?

EDIT: Just saw your post in the other thread about him not playing in the NEAFL this year.

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
After the news broke about Jarrod Witts expecting the birth of his first child in a few days from now, I thought it would be cool for us to have a thread where we keep track of all our potential future father-son and father-daughter players.

AFL
2031 - Kai Rischitelli (also F/S eligible for Brisbane)
2036 - Charlie Swallow
2037 - Levi Ablett (also F/S eligible for Geelong)

AFLW
2033 - Riley Harbrow (also F/D eligible for Bulldogs)
2033 - Molly Malceski
2033 - Lia Rischitelli (also F/D eligible for Brisbane)
2035 - Penelope Hall (also F/D eligible for North Melbourne)
2036 - Koa Shaw (also F/D eligible for Carlton)
2036 - Aimee Smith (also F/D eligible for Geelong)
2036 - Harriet Virgo (also F/D eligible for Brisbane)

2038 - ??? Witts

Let me know if you are aware of any others that I've missed and I'll add them to the list above.

Should be fun to follow the journeys of these junior players and hopefully a few end up on our AFL and AFLW lists. Kai Rischitelli is getting to that age now where he should start playing junior football soon (if he isn't already) so all eyes will be on Kai in a few years time when the prospect of our first ever father-son pick becomes a definite possibility.

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
After the news broke about Jarrod Witts expecting the birth of his first child in a few days from now, I thought it would be cool for us to have a thread where we keep track of all our potential future father-son and father-daughter players.

AFL
2036 - Charlie Swallow

AFLW
2033 - Molly Malceski

2038 - ??? Witts

Let me know if you are aware of any others that I've missed and I'll add them to the list above.

Should be fun to follow the journeys of these junior players and hopefully a few end up on our AFL and AFLW lists. Kai Rischitelli is getting to that age now where he should start playing junior football soon (if he isn't already) so all eyes will be on Kai in a few years time when the prospect of our first ever father-son pick becomes a definite possibility.
Thompson

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers

AFL
2036 - Charlie Swallow

AFLW
2033 - Molly Malceski

2038 - ??? Witts

Just checking, with daughters, the father or mother only needs to have played one game for you.

Surely there would be more daughters out there for you guys.

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Just checking, with daughters, the father or mother only needs to have played one game for you.

Surely there would be more daughters out there for you guys.
Yes, you are correct. I was sort of hoping others in the know could help me on that front. I just added Karmichael Hunt's three daughters to the OP.

Last edited:

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Rory has a child? Do you know the gender, name and birth year for me to add to the list?
Yes, recently like Greenwood. No idea about gender. Witts mentions both in his video. There was a lovely picture of Thompson with his partner some time ago here on Bigfooty. Harbrow's parter also expecting another baby soon and Lemmens partner is pregnant too. Did I forget someone? :)

Last edited:

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Yes, recently like Greenwood. No idea about gender. Witts mentions both in his video. There was a lovely picture of Thompson with his partner some time ago here on Bigfooty. Harbrow's parter also expecting another baby soon and Lemmens partner is pregnant too. Did I forget someone? :)
Greenwood had a son named Titus in February this year and has only played 1 AFL game for us so hopefully Hugh can put up another 99 games in the red and gold so that Titus becomes eligible to be taken as a father-son selection! Titus Greenwood would be eligible to be father-son drafted by us in 2038 if anyone is wondering.

I knew Lemmens' partner was pregnant and hopefully Harbs has a boy so we can get a future father-son along with the potential father-daughter he's already given us. I can't seem to find anything on Rory's child. Does anyone else have details?

Last edited:

GcSunsfan

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 17, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Greenwood had a son named Titus in February this year and has only played 1 AFL game for us so hopefully Hugh can put up another 99 games in the red and gold so that Titus becomes eligible to be taken as a father-son selection! Titus Greenwood would be eligible to be father-son drafted by us in 2038 if anyone is wondering.

I knew Lemmens' partner was pregnant and hopefully Harbs has a boy so we can get a future father-son along with the potential father-daughter he's already given us. I can't seem to find anything on Rory's child. Does anyone else have details?
Rory’s child was born 9th March 2020 Bobbie Rose Thompson

The Victorian

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
now for the AFL, the parent needs to play 100 games FOR THE CLUB

for womens the parent needs to have only played a single game for the club

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Archie Jarrod Witts so I’m guessing it’s a boy but who knows nowadays 🤷‍♂️
Although I think it's a foregone conclusion, let's hope Wittsy reaches 100 AFL games for us so his child is eligible regardless of the gender.

Back