Potential new recruits in 2010

Remove this Banner Ad

Just been thinking that perhaps you guys should take Trengove at 1. Reason being that being from SA if he does ever decide to go home he may be worth more in a trade carrying the mantle of being a former pick 1.

There is logic in that tiger but our recruiting team won't be thinking about Trengove going home before we even draft him. He's a professional young kid. He should be fine in Melbourne.

Scully will probably go at number 1 because he's been hyped for longer. He's also the player we'd probably have taken at #1 if we didn't have both picks.

Yeah I agree with you MM - just doing some thinking.

Anyway good luck with the upcoming draft and near future. My housemate is a Demons member so I see a few games and am pretty excited by the mob of youngsters you have coming through.

Still can not believe that we beat you with a McMahon goal after the siren - one of the worst days for football fans ever I would suspect. Hopefully in the next few years we actually have some real battles.

Just been thinking that perhaps you guys should take Trengove at 1. Reason being that being from SA if he does ever decide to go home he may be worth more in a trade carrying the mantle of being a former pick 1.
You've touched on something here that the club would no doubt consider. Pick 1 on some semblance of a level will (artificially at least) create some currency with Trengove. Ideally MFC would want Trengove to be a top 10 yr player and the go-home factor is rightly not significant enough to sway us in picking him but contingencies can't hurt.

Also, the #1 draft pick is an honour the club may bestow on Trengove as a way of creating a kind of obligation on him to the club. There will be a fair bit of reasoning behind Trengove going #1 (if he does) I would think on top of any speculation as to whether he would handle the pressure better than Scully. There are never any guarantees, if he wants to leave one day he will but the club should do all it can do to capture his heart and mind as well as performance.

For sure RandB - you'd always hope that a draftee will have a distinguished 1 club career but you just can't be sure down the track. I think that the Demons are heading in the right direction but even then sometimes people move on or fall out. Brock leaving couldn't have been forseen. He loved the club as became evident to the public when he donated 10k of his hard earned. Nobody would have predicted that L Ball would at some stage be so desperate for a trade that he would walk into Etihad on the last day of trade week in a bid to further the process himself.

Really it's a mute point but it will still be interesting to see who is taken it would be very interesting to know the reasons why.

Any ideas who you guys are shooting for at 11 and 18? These four picks, if spent well, could take your list from young and promising to super.

Any ideas who you guys are shooting for at 11 and 18? These four picks, if spent well, could take your list from young and promising to super.
There are many more dees posters on this forum who have a better grasp of the draft candidates than I. I can only go by what I have read on the net, I haven't seen any of them live.

I guess I can only comment on possible tactics the club might use and even then no obvious one comes to mind. I would think that picks 11 and 18 would be best available and the best KPF (in no particular order) but the club may just go for best available even if it is 4 mids although I see this as both good and bad. I think it will come down to how the draft pans out on the day as to how we go with 11 and then 18 will be based on 11 unless at 18 there is a standout option. As far as as KPs go I have nfi who the club rates the most.

You've touched on something here that the club would no doubt consider. Pick 1 on some semblance of a level will (artificially at least) create some currency with Trengove. Ideally MFC would want Trengove to be a top 10 yr player and the go-home factor is rightly not significant enough to sway us in picking him but contingencies can't hurt.

Also, the #1 draft pick is an honour the club may bestow on Trengove as a way of creating a kind of obligation on him to the club. There will be a fair bit of reasoning behind Trengove going #1 (if he does) I would think on top of any speculation as to whether he would handle the pressure better than Scully. There are never any guarantees, if he wants to leave one day he will but the club should do all it can do to capture his heart and mind as well as performance.
I reckon the "go home" factor on Trengrove is way over-stated. Admittedly he has played senior footy in Adelaide but he is a Naracortte kid, only just over the border. Its not much further from Melbourne & an easier drive than it is from Adelaide.

Agree with you here tiger.

Only problem being there are only two teams in SA, unlike here in mighty Victoria where plenty of teams are willing to bid for services of class players therfore improving the departing teams chances of getting something significant back.

Flawed argument, what if Scully wants to leave. Just give it to the best player.

Who is better? Is the generally consenious Scully? Trengove seems to be all the rage at the moment though.

I dont really care which order they are picked as long as these are the two we get

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Scully is better it was generally accepted a while ago, then the media started to think about who will be number 2(lol number two)...and the Trengove juggernaut took off.

Flawed argument, what if Scully wants to leave. Just give it to the best player.
Fair point but at a preliminary stage the club would most probably speculate as to who is more likely.

Scully is better it was generally accepted a while ago, then the media started to think about who will be number 2(lol number two)...and the Trengove juggernaut took off.
I agree but it has little baring on the order of picking them if the club is coming from a purely tactical position. We aren't in a situation where we have to chose 1 or the other, we can get both so there is nothing to say the club won't pick them in a particular order that suits their motives one way or the other.

There's a case for picking either of them at #1 - I'm not too bothered by that issue myself though...

He played football the last 2 years in Adelaide but his family is actually from a smallish town that is right on the border and almost as close to Melbourne as Adelaide. No go home factor to worry about with Trengove - once he settles in Melbourne he wont miss Adelaide too much.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back