Resource Potential Port Adelaide father son players

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 12, 2007
The Hills
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Just thinking about the weakened drafts coming up in the next few years. One thing that it does mean is that there will be great value to be had in any gun father son picks. I mean if your first pick isnt til 20 anyway, then that is the most you can pay.

Is there anyone on the horizon for us?

It seems at the moment we are in the gap between eligible Maggies players sons being too old and eligible Power players sons being too young, thoughts?

You mean eligible Maggies, North, Eagles, Centrals and Westies players. Out of all of them, the only one I've heard might be a possibility is Trevor Clisby's (North Adelaide) son.

I'd be holding out more hope for our NSW scholarship holders.

Natman

Norm Smith Medallist
RIP Port Adelaide - Brendon AhChee Player Sponsor 2014 Port Adelaide - Jarrad Redden Player Sponsor 2014 Port Adelaide - Matthew Broadbent Player Sponsor 2013 Port Adelaide - Foundation Sponsor Port Adelaide - Captains Club 2012 Sponsor Port Adelaide - John Butcher 2012 Player Sponsor
Oct 5, 2004
Grange
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
No others are worthy
Just thinking about the weakened drafts coming up in the next few years. One thing that it does mean is that there will be great value to be had in any gun father son picks. I mean if your first pick isnt til 20 anyway, then that is the most you can pay.

Is there anyone on the horizon for us?

It seems at the moment we are in the gap between eligible Maggies players sons being too old and eligible Power players sons being too young, thoughts?

Not much there from my knowledge. I would think that the focus would be on maximising the rookie and NSW lists if costs permit in the difficult financial times ahead - get your memberships people.

I did speak briefly to Rohde at training about the number of rookie players we are after and he mentioned going the max, but so is eveyone else and consequently the quality of the rookies will be diminished.

Toots Hibbert

Brownlow Medallist
Veteran 10k Posts RIP
Oct 14, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Man U,Packers,Feyenoord
Off topic but for interest I've gone back through the drafts to 1990 and here's a list of father son picks, with the year and pick used. (Info is from Footywire which also gives games played and current club)

Bulldogs - Ace Cordy Draft year 2008/ Pick 14
Essendon - Darcy Daniher 2007/ 39
Geelong - Adam Donohue 2007/ 60
Hawthorn - Josh Kennedy 2006/ 40
Geelong - Tom Hawkins 2006/ 41
Hawthorn - Travis Tuck 2005/ 38
Essendon - Jay Neagle 2005/ 39
Collingwood- Travis Cloke 2004/ 39
Carlton - Luke blackwell 2004/ 41
North - Jesse Smith 2004/ 42
West Coast - Mitch Morton 2004/44
Geelong - Nathan Ablett 2004/ 48
Collingwood - Brayden Shaw 2003/ 32
Melbourne - Chris Johnson 2003/ 36
Richmond - Thomas Roach 2003/ 37
Geelong - Mark Blake 2003/ 38
Fremantle - Brett Peake 2003/ 43
Collingwood - Heath Shaw 2003/ 48
Sydney - Shaun Dempster 2002/ 34
Geelong - Tim Callan 2002/ 36
Essendon - Jobe Watson 2002/ 40
Port - Brett Ebert 2002/ 42
Geelong - Gary Ablett 2001/ 40
Collingood - Jason Cloke 2000/ 19
Hawthorn - Stephen Greene 2000/ 28
Collingwood - Rhyce Shaw 1999/ 18
Sydney - Stephen Doyle 1999/ 26
Brisbane - Jonathan Brown 1999/ 30
Brisbane - Shane Morrison 1999/ 44
Collingwood - Nick Davis 1998/ 19
Geelong - Matthew Scarlett 1997/ 45

It's easy to see that several clubs have gained big benefits.

In a decent system we'd have got Brad Ebert. With he and Brett we'd be one of the clubs that have gained a bit.

Jumbo

In the Hall of Fame wearing my state jumper
10k Posts
Feb 5, 2004
Treading on eggshells
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
sanfl - the mighty double magpies
You mean eligible Maggies, North, Eagles, Centrals and Westies players. Out of all of them, the only one I've heard might be a possibility is Trevor Clisby's (North Adelaide) son.

I'd be holding out more hope for our NSW scholarship holders.

Is that Mitch CLISBY who plays for the NSW/ACT Rams via North Adelaide? If so he was invited to state screaning and is a fair chance of being rookied (by anyone).

No it's not Mitch. I think Trevor's son is younger still (maybe 15) and could be playing in NSW. Not sure on that.

I think you've confused Clisby and Tiller.

Under 19
Mitchell Clisby (nephew of Trevor)
Luke Sheridan (son of Michael -League 60's)

Under 17
Mitchell Tiller (son of David)

Oh yeah, I forgot about the other clubs. I guess I still get more excited about Maggies father sons that I do from players from other clubs whom I cant remember.

Surely Scotty Hodges has had a bunch of kids by now?

Wouldn't be eligible. :(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jun 18, 2008
Hewett, Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
MUFC,BristolR, GB,Duke,LAA,NYK
Do u guys find it weird that u can claim father son rule for selected SANFL clubs apart from Port Adelaide?
Being that there is confusion out there about the club and who they are, this surely would be ammunition for people out there saying they arent the Port Adelaide Magpies.

I think a lot of us would rather be aligned with the other AFL clubs in having 100 game Port Adelaide players only

Do u guys find it weird that u can claim father son rule for selected SANFL clubs apart from Port Adelaide?
Being that there is confusion out there about the club and who they are, this surely would be ammunition for people out there saying they arent the Port Adelaide Magpies.

Yes, we find it weird. There has been some great discussion on how we should just have f/s from our magpie days and have it set at 100games instead of this 200 game system we have now.

There's enough info out there to show that we're the PAFC from 1870 so not too fussed about a minority that like to think we don't have a history (in most cases, it's in fact their club that has no history ;))

Jun 18, 2008
Hewett, Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
I think a lot of us would rather be aligned with the other AFL clubs in having 100 game Port Adelaide players only
yeah for sure. I mean it makes no sense picking up a kid with that rule if the dad played a certain number of games for Woodville although it seems of late u like the Woodville\WT boys at the draft :)

so let me get this straight, its currently set at 200 games where for my boys its 100 games? is this correct

Aug 30, 2004
Kaurna Land
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Vikings, Canadiens, Sharks
Do u guys find it weird that u can claim father son rule for selected SANFL clubs apart from Port Adelaide? ...
I'm with Macca. I'd rather it just be any player who has played 100 games for the PAFC regardless of what comp we were competing at the time.

..... Being that there is confusion out there about the club and who they are, this surely would be ammunition for people out there saying they arent the Port Adelaide Magpies.
Why is that ammunition? We aren't the PAMFC :confused:

Jun 18, 2008
Hewett, Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Why is that ammunition? We aren't the PAMFC :confused:

cause there are people out there, actually alot of people that believe Port in the AFL arent the same club that were in the SANFL. They dont recognise the fact its the PAMFC in the SANFL.
So by ammunition, the fact clubs that arent Port Adelaide in the SANFL being able to be used for the father son rule gives them something to use in their reasons why its not the real Port Adelaide in the AFL.
Not saying thats how i feel but there are people that believe this ;)

Aug 30, 2004
Kaurna Land
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Vikings, Canadiens, Sharks
cause there are people out there, actually alot of people that believe Port in the AFL arent the same club that were in the SANFL. They dont recognise the fact its the PAMFC in the SANFL. ...
The PAMFC is in the SANFL and was created when the PAFC moved from the SANFL to the AFL. I think you are getting the PAMFC (splitters) and the PAFC confused ;)

Jun 18, 2008
Hewett, Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
The PAMFC is in the SANFL and was created when the PAFC moved from the SANFL to the AFL. I think you are getting the PAMFC (splitters) and the PAFC confused ;)

nah i know all this, im saying there are people out there that dont recognise the Maggies currently in the SANFL as the PAMFC, they still believe its the PAFC. They think cause the maggies are in the SANFL which means they cant be in the AFL. This father son rule could further influence their views.

Best result is only Port Magpies players for father son and the requirment ebing 100 games in the SANFL\AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Back