Resource Potential Port Adelaide father son players

Remove this Banner Ad

1600759335783.png

Prince Alfred College has retained its status as state football champion after beating Henley High in the All Schools Cup grand final by 15 points.
James Borlase, son of Port Adelaide premiership captain Darryl Borlase, was the catalyst for the Reds’ 10.9 (69) to 8.6 (54) victory at Thebarton Oval on Tuesday.

The Crows Next Generation Academy member, who won the Colin Steiner Medal for best on ground, stood tall in defence for the Reds, chopping off Henley’s forward entries and setting up plenty of attack from the backline.

The 18-year-old’s ability to out-body, out-mark and spoil Henley’s forwards proved the difference, as PAC added the state title to this season’s Messenger Shield success.

Taj Schofield, son of Power AFL premiership player Jarrad Schofield, helped get Henley back into the game with his poise, booting his second goal to give the Boaters a sniff.

(no mentions for Jase Burgoyne - maybe he was still buggered from his 30 disposals for the Peckers a couple of days ago)

My only query with young Borlase is that his physique seemed much more developed than the majority of kids out there today.

When others catch up he will have competitors on par with his development.

But he was exceptional today. A long kick and thoughtful disposer of the ball.

PAC won because of their domination of the centre square in the last quarter. Particularly a stumpy legged little blonde guy (number 34 I think), who benefitted from a winning ruck. He was also effective around the ground
I thought Burgoyne was quiet, while Schofield did a few cameo things.

Does he have to go to the crows or can he say no if we guarantee to pick him? Or is it too late as he is in the NGA?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 968114

Prince Alfred College has retained its status as state football champion after beating Henley High in the All Schools Cup grand final by 15 points.
James Borlase, son of Port Adelaide premiership captain Darryl Borlase, was the catalyst for the Reds’ 10.9 (69) to 8.6 (54) victory at Thebarton Oval on Tuesday.

The Crows Next Generation Academy member, who won the Colin Steiner Medal for best on ground, stood tall in defence for the Reds, chopping off Henley’s forward entries and setting up plenty of attack from the backline.

The 18-year-old’s ability to out-body, out-mark and spoil Henley’s forwards proved the difference, as PAC added the state title to this season’s Messenger Shield success.

Taj Schofield, son of Power AFL premiership player Jarrad Schofield, helped get Henley back into the game with his poise, booting his second goal to give the Boaters a sniff.

(no mentions for Jase Burgoyne - maybe he was still buggered from his 30 disposals for the Peckers a couple of days ago)

They like to rub it in

The father/son rule should have been all PAFC players that have played 100 games at AFL and SANFL level. Why did we agree to taking 250 gamers sons from other SANFL clubs?

The father/son rule should have been all PAFC players that have played 100 games at AFL and SANFL level. Why did we agree to taking 250 gamers sons from other SANFL clubs?

I don’t think we did agree

I think it was forced upon us because they couldn’t give the same to adelaide and didn’t want us to have something they didn’t.

It’s bullshit.

It’s going to * us over again with Stephen Carter’s boy hunter who’s a standout kid in his age group. Carter has 182 games for port but his kid won’t be eligible.

I don’t think we did agree

I think it was forced upon us because they couldn’t give the same to adelaide and didn’t want us to have something they didn’t.

It’s bullshit.

It’s going to fu** us over again with Stephen Carter’s boy hunter who’s a standout kid in his age group. Carter has 182 games for port but his kid won’t be eligible.
Haha Stephen Carter’s kid actually not being eligible to play for Port.

The whole competition is not designed around the concept of an existing club with a 150 year history joining the league. There's the ex VFL clubs (12), the franchise teams (5) and then there's Port Adelaide (1). The guernsey fiasco is a good example, as is the father son rule.

To be frank, the administrators of the club didn't fight hard enough for our rights in the early years (just happy to be in the AFL I guess) and that's why we're playing catch up now.

That s**t 200 SANFL games before joining the AFL rule resulted in exactly how many father-sons for the two SA teams (excluding players whose dads played 100 AFL games)? Apparently even Brett Ebert wasn't technically eligible, but I forget why - the 200 games must have started from a certain year long after Russell began at Port I presume.

The whole competition is not designed around the concept of an existing club with a 150 year history joining the league. There's the ex VFL clubs (12), the franchise teams (5) and then there's Port Adelaide (1). The guernsey fiasco is a good example, as is the father son rule.

To be frank, the administrators of the club didn't fight hard enough for our rights in the early years (just happy to be in the AFL I guess) and that's why we're playing catch up now.
J Brown on On The Couch last night made a quip around something like if Collingwood were eliminated in the first week he wondered if Eddie would be allow Port to wear the prison bars for the rest of the finals? It's almost accepted in the Melb media that Eddie has the final say.

From what I've heard, it was the other way round.
We pushed hard to allow us to get equal FS opportunities with the Crows based on the numbers.
Culturally, it was a misstep.

We should have pushed for PAFC players only, even if we had to have a higher number of games required than the original VFL teams.
The value to the culture of the club would have far outweighed the value of a potential FS from Glenelg, South, North players.

Even IF we landed say a Bryce Gibbs (who was originally aligned to us before Ross and his Tight Perm had a tanty) I'd still argue it would not have been as valuable as the strengthening of our identity with a PAFC players only model.

From what I've heard, it was the other way round.
We pushed hard to allow us to get equal FS opportunities with the Crows based on the numbers.
Culturally, it was a misstep.

We should have pushed for PAFC players only, even if we had to have a higher number of games required than the original VFL teams.
The value to the culture of the club would have far outweighed the value of a potential FS from Glenelg, South, North players.

Even IF we landed say a Bryce Gibbs (who was originally aligned to us before Ross and his Tight Perm had a tanty) I'd still argue it would not have been as valuable as the strengthening of our identity with a PAFC players only model.
If i remember rightly, the biggest mistake was the games played calculations.

Port and the Crows included the pre season games etc. the AFL then wiped them after the fact.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back