Resource Potential Port Adelaide father son players

Remove this Banner Ad

Francou's three boys are all officially a part of the Gold Coast's academy program now (source). The rules state the player needs to be based in that region for at least five years during their junior years which means his oldest (Will/U16s) won't be eligible to be taken as an academy selection by the Suns but his two younger boys (Oliver/U14s) (Ben/U13s) will be eligible. HOWEVER, the AFL currently allows the Suns to directly access their academy prospects without having to use draft picks so I'm not sure the typical northern academy rules apply to the Suns right now. It would be so typical to see the AFL bend the rules and allow Will Francou to join the Suns without us having any say over it. Prepare yourself for a stitch up.

The AFL allow GC to admit 12 yo kids to their academy? That is stupidity on several levels. If I run out of arse wipe I'm punting on Gill being a hoarder.

Francou's boys would still qualify for us as father-son, so it just means they will have to make a choice. I'd back any potential AFL footballer to pick Port (or indeed any other club) over the Suns to play for.
After 6 years in the Suns academy?

Our best hope is for the Suns to sack Josh.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

The AFL allow GC to admit 12 yo kids to their academy? That is stupidity on several levels. If I run out of arse wipe I'm punting on Gill being a hoarder.
NGA and northern club academies rules allow for 10 to 18 year olds. More on rules at draft and trading board resources thread.

Club Academies
14.2 (b) Subject to Rule 14.8, a Player must satisfy the following age requirements in order to be included in a Club’s Academy:
(i) A Player must have attained the age of 10 years or will attain the age of 10 years on or before 31 December in the Football Year that they are first included in the Club Academy.
(ii) A Player must be under the age of 18 years as at 31 December in the Football Year that they are included in a Club Academy except as provided by Rule 14.8.

NGA
15.2 (b) A person must satisfy the following age requirements in order to be included in a Club’s Next Generation Academy in a Football Year:
(i) a person must attain the age of 10 years on or before 31 December in the relevant Football Year; and
(ii) unless the person is a Qualified NGA Player, a person must be under the age of 15 years as at 31 December of the relevant Football Year;
(iii) in the case of a Qualified NGA Player, a person must be under the age of 18 years as at 31 December of the relevant Football Year – except as provided by Rule 15.9.

NGA and northern club academies rules allow for 10 to 18 year olds. More on rules at draft and trading board resources thread.

Club Academies
14.2 (b) Subject to Rule 14.8, a Player must satisfy the following age requirements in order to be included in a Club’s Academy:
(i) A Player must have attained the age of 10 years or will attain the age of 10 years on or before 31 December in the Football Year that they are first included in the Club Academy.
(ii) A Player must be under the age of 18 years as at 31 December in the Football Year that they are included in a Club Academy except as provided by Rule 14.8.

NGA
15.2 (b) A person must satisfy the following age requirements in order to be included in a Club’s Next Generation Academy in a Football Year:
(i) a person must attain the age of 10 years on or before 31 December in the relevant Football Year; and
(ii) unless the person is a Qualified NGA Player, a person must be under the age of 15 years as at 31 December of the relevant Football Year;
(iii) in the case of a Qualified NGA Player, a person must be under the age of 18 years as at 31 December of the relevant Football Year – except as provided by Rule 15.9.
Ten year olds. Wow. And people think that this is a good thing?

Ten year olds. Wow. And people think that this is a good thing?

I live in Sydney and see the Swans academy training often at the local oval.

I use to think the 15yr olds they have training is young enough. Explains how the likes of Mills and Heeney can step straight into the AFL team as they would basically be in the AFL system since being very young.

10 is too young, how do club officials select a “talented” player at that age?

I live in Sydney and see the Swans academy training often at the local oval.

I use to think the 15yr olds they have training is young enough. Explains how the likes of Mills and Heeney can step straight into the AFL team as they would basically be in the AFL system since being very young.

10 is too young, how do club officials select a “talented” player at that age?

Evidently by genetics in the GC/Francou case.

Francou's boys would still qualify for us as father-son, so it just means they will have to make a choice. I'd back any potential AFL footballer to pick Port (or indeed any other club) over the Suns to play for.
Would the prospect of playing for us really mean much to a teenager when he's lived the last 5-6 years of his life on the Gold Coast and his father works for the Suns? Don't forget, these kids also spent four years of their life in Sydney and probably don't feel as great a connection with South Australia as other father-son prospects on our radar. For context, Nick Blakey had the opportunity to go father-son to North or Brisbane but chose to be taken as an academy selection by the Swans because his father worked there and he already felt a part of the club.
The NGA minimum age of 10 is worse but I'd say the academy rules in Queensland and New South Wales have more to do with potentially losing juniors to rugby, basketball or soccer around the age of 12. It's a crucial period for junior athletes in the northern states and a big reason why you see players like Isaac Heeney and Callum Mills in the AFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty easy decisions for us. Draft Jones through the NGA and Schofield as a father-son when the bids inevitably come.

That depends where the bids come.

I’m not keen on taj at all to be honest. I probably wouldn’t even draft him if he wasn’t a father son. It’s not that he’s that bad, I just don’t see much in a 176cm small bodied average paced mid.

Lachie is interesting. Really needed to see him play more this year.

I expect if the year had played out more prospects would have put their names up.

As it stands I would think we should be able to use all 3 2nd rounders before a bid.

I’m not keen on taj at all to be honest. I probably wouldn’t even draft him if he wasn’t a father son. It’s not that he’s that bad, I just don’t see much in a 176cm small bodied average paced mid.

Kidding yourself, can't teach class and the kid oozes it! Yes not explosive, but knows how to find the footy and uses the pill, something we are genuinely lacking. Imagine he and Mead delivering to George and Marshall over the next 12 years!

Kidding yourself, can't teach class and the kid oozes it! Yes not explosive, but knows how to find the footy and uses the pill, something we are genuinely lacking. Imagine he and Mead delivering to George and Marshall over the next 12 years!

176cm kids who are medium paced but know how to find the footy aren’t rated very highly in the afl, for a reason.

Lachie is interesting. Really needed to see him play more this year.

I expect if the year had played out more prospects would have put their names up.

As it stands I would think we should be able to use all 3 2nd rounders before a bid.
Taj ain’t averaged paced, every SA kid also rates him the best kick of the footy in SA

Taj ain’t averaged paced, every SA kid also rates him the best kick of the footy in SA

Is his testing quick?

In game he doesn’t display the speed that I would want for the role he will have to play at the next level.

He’s gonna be too small to be an inside mid. He doesn’t look like he’s gonna fill out much with his frame. He very much resembles his dad. I watched the futures game then ports 2004 gf together recently. They both played very similar those 2 games.

His kicking is fine, in the same way his dad was in that he will assess and hit targets. Not going to break lines with his running or his kicking from the vision I’ve seen.

When I compare him to a guy right at the back end of ports list in Patmore, I like Patmore much much more. Hell, Patmore will probably get cut if we had to cut our list heavily.

Is his testing quick?

In game he doesn’t display the speed that I would want for the role he will have to play at the next level.

He’s gonna be too small to be an inside mid. He doesn’t look like he’s gonna fill out much with his frame. He very much resembles his dad. I watched the futures game then ports 2004 gf together recently. They both played very similar those 2 games.

His kicking is fine, in the same way his dad was in that he will assess and hit targets. Not going to break lines with his running or his kicking from the vision I’ve seen.

When I compare him to a guy right at the back end of ports list in Patmore, I like Patmore much much more. Hell, Patmore will probably get cut if we had to cut our list heavily.
Yeah he tests pretty well, not sure if it was agility or 20m but he tested well for one of them, yeah in the footage ive seen his looked pretty quick and agile to me, I see him as being a wingman/small forward and don’t see him playing much on the inside long term.

Not a major difference but he is 178cm now rather than 176

Yeah he tests pretty well, not sure if it was agility or 20m but he tested well for one of them, yeah in the footage ive seen his looked pretty quick and agile to me, I see him as being a wingman/small forward and don’t see him playing much on the inside long term.

Not a major difference but he is 178cm now rather than 176

That’s positive to hear he is at 178 now. That was his dads listed height. Still he’s not one I’m really excited about.

We’re pretty stocked for small forwards too.

I’m more keen on Lachlan Jones at a 184-186cm (what do you have him listed at?) he’s got some interesting things going on with his size and athleticism. Still not sure if he is really going to be a good afl footballer, or if he’s a defender or future mid though. I would be surprised if he gets bid on before our second round picks.

That’s positive to hear he is at 178 now. That was his dads listed height. Still he’s not one I’m really excited about.

We’re pretty stocked for small forwards too.

I’m more keen on Lachlan Jones at a 184-186cm (what do you have him listed at?) he’s got some interesting things going on with his size and athleticism. Still not sure if he is really going to be a good afl footballer, or if he’s a defender or future mid though. I would be surprised if he gets bid on before our second round picks.
I’ve seen the best and worst of Jones, can play like a mini Will Gould at the best of times. I have him 30+ so yeah I’d expect a bid after your 2nd rounders.

He is listed at 185cm and 89kg, powerful unit so wouldn’t have minded to see him play as an inside mid but sadly doesn’t look likely we will get the chance to see.

176cm kids who are medium paced but know how to find the footy aren’t rated very highly in the afl, for a reason.

I mean, we bemoan poor skills, poor goal kicking, generally dumb players and then stick to these dogmatic athlete over footballer recruiting philosophies like they are written in stone.

Watched a Greg Williams 3 voter on Fox tonight. Would absolutely run rings around everyone on our list skill and football smarts wise but wouldn't even get drafted because he's 'too short and too slow'.

The AFL as an industry really need to reconsider exactly what they want their game to look like.

I mean, we bemoan poor skills, poor goal kicking, generally dumb players and then stick to these dogmatic athlete over footballer recruiting philosophies like they are written in stone.

Watched a Greg Williams 3 voter on Fox tonight. Would absolutely run rings around everyone on our list skill and football smarts wise but wouldn't even get drafted because he's 'too short and too slow'.

The AFL as an industry really need to reconsider exactly what they want their game to look like.
It is up to the clubs to change that. We should be looking for what everybody is missing that could give us an edge - for instance, smart skilled footballers, despite their size or physical strength.

I watched Taj a few times as an U16 and recently in the all stars game. He looks a good prospect to me. Serious kick of a football; accurate, flat and fast. Top 1% stuff.

Also hadn’t pegged him as slow although I could believe that he’s someone who is quick over the first 5-10m but not over 100m.

We’ve stumbled into a fantastic position in this draft. Should be able to trade a bundle of our 2nd round picks for something close to the pointy end and grab one of the many quality KPP on offer. Then pick up Schofield and Jones with what might even end up being a late or rookie pick by virtue of them being fairly speculative if there are no games this year and the possible shrinking list sizes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back